What kind of Dog

drzola

Well here's a thread I can get behind on a market holiday.  We have an 11 year old Flat Coated Retriever, black color, very pretty.  Her name is Cheech.  We had a male German Shepherd mix, Ollie, who lived to over 15 years old but passed away last year.  Not sure his precise age as he was given to us without that information.  Had a nice long life.

Also adopted a blond haired caucasian Mexican boy (human) at 15 years old recently, he turns 17 in March.  It's been interesting to say the least.  In general I will give this advice - don't adopt a teenager!

I really want a newfie but my girlfriend doesn't want to be a fulltime cleaning lady...  :(

We will rescue as well, her grandfather works in a kennel and will keep an eye out for one that is not too traumatized (should be able to handle young children).

I want a big dog, she wants a small dog so... we're getting a small dog.

... I want a big dog, she wants a small dog so... we're getting a small dog.

Great home rules! I live subject to such a "democracy" here at home also! - It actually works great - there is never any confusion about what has been decided!

In practice, it works like this:

Rule #1: If we agree, I'm the decision maker.

Rule #2: If we disagree, she is the decision maker.

Further specifics about Rule #2:

If we disagree on something, and the discussion is peaking, she always ends up saying: "OK, let's vote!", after what which I instantly start thinking: "Ohh, noo, not again! - Now she start babling about the proxy vote of the cat and her voting power of attourney from the cat!" [The democracy consists of three votes, actually - everybody is equal with regard to votes, including the cat....]

Last time I was subject to this "democratic treatment" was the second saturday in June last year - it was just hot as in hell. The lawn was fluffy and in need of mowing - I had a bad conscience and at the same time did not bother to do something about it, sweaty under the parasol in the garden.

She: "The lawn need to be mowed."

Me: "I really need a new electric and automatic lawn mower."

She - looking at me: "To me, you need the excercise..." [i was soo insulted - without saying anything...]

<loooong pause following...>

She: "What brand?" <she grapping the iPad for searching>

Me <feeling excited: finally some kind af an opening!>: "Robomow!"

She: "Wow, that's expensive! - about DKK 9,700!"

Me: <feeling discouraged>: "What model are you looking at?" [answer: The cheapest low end model]

Me: "I don't want some whatever electric and automatic lawn mower... - I want the TESLA among electric and automatic lawn mowers - with all the giggles and bling!" [Price at that time about DKK 25K].

<loooong pause following...again!>

She: "Let's vote!"

Me <thinking: "Oh no, here we go again!">:" Let's just sell the damn house and go south to France or Italy - now!" [At that particular time, it was even hotter in Italy and France ... - logic?]

<Long silence>

- - - o 0 o - - -

Back to dogs:

First dog : Irish Setter.

Second dog: Cross between German Shepard and Rottweiler [i did not need to lock the doors to keep foreigners out while not at home!].

Third dog: Irish Setter.

- - -  o 0 o - - -

In short: I simply can't any longer stand the missery that I'm hauled through by loosing a dog. I'm actually better at getting over a permanenet loss of capital, I have found out [i've had a few minor, so far].

I enjoy all the dogs in the neighbourhood on daily basis, getting the best out of it, leaving all sorrows etc. to the owners... without getting too attached.

I adopted a 1 year old yellow lab two years ago and then about 8 months ago I adopted a cream/white doberman puppy who was about 6 months old. I've had dogs all my life and the lab had the most energy of any dog I'd ever met, until I got the doberman. She's almost old enough to where I can start taking her on runs with me but for now I try to let them tire each other out, they're wrestling under my desk as I type this  ;D

I enjoy all the dogs in the neighbourhood on daily basis, getting the best out of it, leaving all sorrows etc. to the owners... without getting too attached.

I know there are "cat cafes" but is there such a thing as a "dog cafe"? That would be a great option for people who like dogs but don't want to own one. Maybe the concept can be expanded to all sorts of pets (parrots, hamsters, snakes, etc).

My wife and I had 2 retired racing greyhounds. Man I loved those dogs, especially our female, Dainty. I still miss her 4 years later.

After losing her I wanted a break from dogs for a while.

Then we heard about a beagle/springer spaniel mix that needed a home. She was hit by a truck and lying on the side of the road, pregnant with 5 pups somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee (we can't remember). The pups survived and our Pep (Peppermint Patty) had hip surgery before she was fostered up here in Ontario.

Then of course she needed a friend. We rescued a Malamute/Sheppard/Collie (the best guess from our vet) from Fort Severn, Ontario. That's as far north as you can go in Ontario before hitting Hudson Bay. Anyone who watches Ice Road Truckers may know of Fort Severn. The newest season I watched was between Winnipeg and Fort Severn. 

I always thought we'd be greyhound people but we're rescuers.

Don't be fooled by the second picture. What looks like a hunter stalking its prey, it's really a smart beagle luring the big dummy in. When Poker (the bigger black dog) tries to pounce, Pep (the beagle) turns and swats his sorry ass.  ;D

Edit: Sorry, I can't for the life of me turn the first pic.

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.ef33882d982f1dbab336fb65a6ec4f60.JPG

IMG_1257.thumb.JPG.7c6e1559d3a89d74f3dd72a5633ce939.JPG

I know there are "cat cafes" but is there such a thing as a "dog cafe"? That would be a great option for people who like dogs but don't want to own one. Maybe the concept can be expanded to all sorts of pets (parrots, hamsters, snakes, etc).

My old man, 90, almost 91 now - is meeting dogs at the nursery home on a regular basis. And he loves it! - Volunteers are bringing in experienced dogs with regard to  geriatric conditions - those dogs somehow bear unconditional love towards mankind. It's incredible what a "How are you doing today - I just like you!" tounge sweep in the mid of your face can do to your mindset if you are old!

A little over one year ago we adopted former racing greyhound - Apache.

He is the most amazing animal. Sometimes I think there must be a human hiding inside him. If you are thinking of getting a companion, check out your local greyhound adoption agency. You have to apply, have your home inspected, supply references, take a short course and pass a test.

Apache is now on his second career as a St John's Ambulance Therapy Dog visiting senior's homes and university students.

Apache even has his own Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Apache-RF-Apache-1748393585420852/

A little over one year ago we adopted former racing greyhound - Apache.

Apache even has his own Facebook page:

He's beautiful! 

Greyhound's are some of the most gentle creatures ever. Our male, "I'm Brindle Savvy" AKA "Flip", had some issues with me. I'm sure he was abused at the track. For the first couple of years I couldn't take my belt off without him running out of the room. You also couldn't ever reach over his head. He would growl.

I'm still a greyhound guy at heart. I hope we get another one or two later on.

I think that's cool you have a race of his on the FB page. We found all of their records on the greyhound-data website but no race footage.

Here's our 45 MPH couch potatoes, unfortunately they're both long gone...........on our very old couch. (that's long gone too thankfully  ;D )

Flip_and_Dainty.jpg.337f2ea0a30f48ade4c2ef8e861d4901.jpg

Great Danes are awesome! Except maybe when they're pushing you off the bed or sofa...  ;)

lol, rb! It's all about being territorital! : - )

lol, Nah, she's not territorial in the lease. Sometimes she just likes to me annoying. She thinks it's cute. Sometimes we think so too. :)

Thanks augustabound. Greyhounds are certainly a different animal, calm, affectionate, smart. As I said Apache was a racer, placed in the first three in half of his 60 races before he broke a leg. Fortunately he was well cared for. He is now on his second career as a St. John’s Ambulance Therapy Dog and loves it.

Anyone interested in more info on Greyhounds, feel free to PM me.

Apache_D.thumb.jpg.a9b6e5c8dbb9a0604a3438e6160d4f26.jpg

Apache3B.jpg.2e9a3fed6b0caccd911cce43f9bd3208.jpg

After Flip died (our male), our vet asked if we considered Dainty as a therapy dog.

My wife and I both have one or two people in our family that doesn't like dogs. At family gatherings at our house Dainty would always and I mean always seek them out. (I think that's common among most calm dogs, not just greys). It would always end with them petting Dainty, sometimes they were aware they were doing it and other times they did it without even knowing.