How do you like to read?

StockDuck13

I'm curious to know how everyone prefers to do their reading. I know of some who like to print everything out/order hard copies of reports and I know others who prefer just reading it all on a monitor/laptop/iPad.

Which do you prefer and why? Do you find that you retain more by reading that way?

Also where do you like to read for long periods of time (ie. couch, chair, what have you)? How do you avoid neck/back pain?

I try to read mostly on my e-reader as I can't afford to be printing 10,000 pages a month yet.  ;D

Thanks guys!

I prefer paper. But that is not how I do most of my reading.

For books, I'd say I read 80% Kobo ereader/20% paper.

For news/articles 90% iPhone/10% desktop computer screen.

For SEC filings/reports 100% desktop computer screen.

For this board. 50% iphone/50% desktop computer screen.

98% paper, I like to make notes as I go.  Most books I get from library as my family tends to be bookaholics.  We decluttered  after the kids left home and took gazillions of books to the nonprofit thrift store.  We saved a few we will read again and again.  We like the extra room and try to get rid of an old book for each one we bring home.

Our library lets us tell them which book we want to read, they go get it from another library if they don't have it and then send us an email when we are to pick it up.

How do I like to read? Well I'd prefer a hardcover and a comfy chair. Unfortunately I've gotten in the habit of putting books on my iPhone lately and reading them there. It's probably terrible for the longterm health of my eyes but it's very convenient to have what you're reading always with you.

The one thing I miss about physical books is you can't really share digital copies. There are so many books that I've read digitally that I'd like to give to friends to read, it's a lot easier to hand someone a book than to give them your login info. Almost think it would be cool to have a library of books in hardcover but instead of pages they hold a usb or something for the person that wants to read them.

I like my kindle a lot for books.  It is not too heavy for extended one hand reading, you can change the typeface easily, is backlit so I can read at night without disturbing my spouse and I use the blue light filter.  That said you can't share them and they have other drawbacks so I don't like paying more than ~$10-12 for kindle books. 

I usually also buy hardback copies of books I read on kindle that I like and might re-read.  I don't like paperbacks as they deteriorate too fast.  Don't have a satisfactory system for financials.  The kindle screen is too small, ipad air and mini are too heavy, and printing is too much of a production.  Seems like a crap shoot as far as getting FIDO to send me the bound 10-Ks as well.

I like my kindle a lot for books.  It is not too heavy for extended one hand reading, you can change the typeface easily, is backlit so I can read at night without disturbing my spouse and I use the blue light filter.  That said you can't share them and they have other drawbacks so I don't like paying more than ~$10-12 for kindle books. 

I usually also buy hardback copies of books I read on kindle that I like and might re-read.  I don't like paperbacks as they deteriorate too fast.  Don't have a satisfactory system for financials.  The kindle screen is too small, ipad air and mini are too heavy, and printing is too much of a production.  Seems like a crap shoot as far as getting FIDO to send me the bound 10-Ks as well.

This is very close to what I do.

The other thing I like about my Kindle is that you can highlight passages and then email all these notes to yourself. Also when I come across a word I don't know  I can instantly get the definition by touching the word.

Yeah, I really like the highlight feature.  Use it a ton on certain books like the Berkshire annual reports compilation.  I didn't know about the e-mail feature.  I will check that out, as it would be easy to print then.  I also like changing the color of the background and font.  I like the salmon color and the black background with white print. 

I use the overdrive media app a ton on kindle and ipad (and phone) to get free library e-books and audio books. 

As far as papers I do digital WSJ and FT.  I think I'm going to switch back to paper pretty soon for those though or either just cancel.  I apparently can't get the FT delivered to my address.

Yeah, I really like the highlight feature.  Use it a ton on certain books like the Berkshire annual reports compilation.  I didn't know about the e-mail feature.  I will check that out, as it would be easy to print then.  I also like changing the color of the background and font.  I like the salmon color and the black background with white print. 

I use the overdrive media app a ton on kindle and ipad (and phone) to get free library e-books and audio books. 

As far as papers I do digital WSJ and FT.  I think I'm going to switch back to paper pretty soon for those though or either just cancel.  I apparently can't get the FT delivered to my address.

If you Go To Notes, across the bottom it says "Export Notes," which you touch. Then up comes a window that says "We will send your notes and highlights to the email address on your Amazon account," and you just touch send.

Edit: It comes in PDF and CSV formats

I'm old school. Only read physical books and all 10-Ks (unless they're super short) get printed out. Shorter stuff (10-Q, investment write-ups, forums) are mostly read on my laptop.

Here here. I only read physical books (specifically paperbacks) and I try to get hardcopy reports from companies when I can. Out of curiosity, how many pages a month do you print and what does that roughly cost you?

There are a few e-readers with larger screens you might be interested in:

Sony has one that is the size of an full sheet of paper (this is what I use): http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-digitalpaper/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-show-digitalpaper-digitalpaper.shtml

There are a few others like the Kobo One but none others (that I have seen) that are close to letter size.