FINRA Series 7 & 66 Study Materials

DooDiligence

I used one called 'pass the 65' but I think this is basically the same for the 66 - by robert walker:

https://www.amazon.com/Pass-66-Plain-English-Explanation/dp/0983141185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485363426&sr=8-1&keywords=series+66

Can anyone suggest some good study guides?

Thanks!

I just got through reading Pass the 7 reviews on Amazon (same author) & it looks good.

I really want to make sure I understand the material.

I investigated getting a BA & a CFP this week & holy cow, I'd be pushing 60 by the time I got the planners certification.

I really enjoy finance & helping people & believe that this would be a win, win career move (my boat lost its contract with Chevron & although I'm not laid off (yet) I think it's now or never on a career change...)

All I need is $25-30K a year to do just fine!

I used "pass perfect" years ago.  Their method really worked with my learning style.  Topics were broken down in the chapters, then each chapter had sections.  Then there were quizzes on all the topics, and you could not move forward until you had a passing grade on each section quiz.  It basically forced me to thoroughly learn each section before I could advance to more material.  Hold my feet to the fire in that regard was helpful to me. 

Best of luck whatever you choose!

Evolveus

THE Podcast Editors

I used "pass perfect" years ago.  Their method really worked with my learning style.  Topics were broken down in the chapters, then each chapter had sections.  Then there were quizzes on all the topics, and you could not move forward until you had a passing grade on each section quiz.  It basically forced me to thoroughly learn each section before I could advance to more material.  Hold my feet to the fire in that regard was helpful to me. 

Best of luck whatever you choose!

Thanks...

The best, hands down, is Kaplan. I have taken the 7, 24, 63, and 65. The books are ok but it's basically all the same stuff regardless. The secret to passing the test(outside of the obvious answer:knowing the material!) is to be familiar with the format. You can buy the Kaplan online practice test generator service for a couple hundred bucks. It is well worth it. If you already have a decent understanding of industry related stuff, just taking the practice tests, with the option to have the correct answer and explanation shown after you answer the question, 2-3 times a days will have you ready to pass the real one in a couple weeks. The test is shuffled each time as well and there are like 10,000 questions so its not just straight memorization.

Here you go. Hope this helps

https://www.kaplanfinancial.com/securities/series-7-var-1/

SecuritiesPro™ QBank (Online + Download) $124.50

Add to Cart

Practice your test taking skills and test your knowledge with thousands of exam-focused questions and solutions. This interactive QBank allows you to build personalized exams based on length and topic of your choice and features unlimited exam attempts that are randomly generated each time. The

Qbank also gives you the ability to:

Complete the exams online or print them out to study on the go.

Review your performance on previously taken exams.

Track time spent on a question and/or exam.

Search for specific questions within your QBank.

Create personal notes and bookmarks on questions for future reference.

Build weighted mock exams to provide a comprehensive test review of all material.

*The online access period for your Qbank course is 5 months. An additional five months may be purchased at $49. Please call or email  our student support center to request this extension.

Thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on getting an entry level job with someone who'd sponsor me for the 7?

I'd be happy to pay all my own fees, etc., but if I understand correctly, an applicant for the 7 needs a sponsor/employer?

I was thinking maybe bank teller or office receptionist since I have no creds (other than a 1600/3000 ton Oceans Masters license which would be worthless in finance unless someone wanted hire me to transport a boat load of money...)

Thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on getting an entry level job with someone who'd sponsor me for the 7?

I'd be happy to pay all my own fees, etc., but if I understand correctly, an applicant for the 7 needs a sponsor/employer?

I was thinking maybe bank teller or office receptionist since I have no creds (other than a 1600/3000 ton Oceans Masters license which would be worthless in finance unless someone wanted hire me to transport a boat load of money...)

Here's the list of FINRA regulated companies: https://www.finra.org/about/firms-we-regulate

You should look for a position where you get a chance to talk to customers or clients beyond a secretarial or administrative role.

Thanks a ton!

The easiest way, and it's almost guaranteed if you can humble yourself for a few months, is finding any old small name retail brokerage/advisory office. They'll likely pay you a couple hundred bucks a week and you'll have to cold call for 8 hours a day, not fun... But they'll sponsor you, and in most cases pay for your testing and materials and then once you have the license you can pretty much go anywhere.

The other way is with a larger name, similar to what you mentioned. But they are more selective and typically like a specific type of resume (IE brand name school, BA in finance, several years minimum experience, etc). This is harder and kind of beats around the bush.

Basically the financial food chain works like this for those of us who don't have Ivy League MBAs and an inside track on an investment banking job, at least to one seeking out basic securities licenses.

Smaller bucket shops hire and license anything that has a pulse. Throw shit against the wall and see what sticks. Bigger firms take the cream of the crop. They don't hire 1/10th of the number the smaller firms do because they essentially just wait til the smaller firms license people and then poach them; saving obvious expenses and headaches that come with training.

Once you have your license however, then its on you and if you are cut out for it you can make a living at either type of firm. If you are just looking to manage moderate amounts of money and have a low-mid 5-figure income you are probably better suited using a firm that specializes in umbrella/OSJ structures.

Go the MBA route, & leave the professional stuff alone for now.

If its been longer than 10 years, you're undergrad GPA will not count.

At most you'll need just a current GMAT, a good 'why & vision' story, and the many years of work experience you already have.

In-class, or Co-Op, for year 1; go the thesis route & switch to on-line in year 2.

Most first year in-class MBA programs are heavy in students with little real world 'experience'; hence selection on high GPA & GMAT scores. Come in heavy on 'experience' & most schools will fall over themselves to get you in; even more so if it's part of a lay-off. Once in, do your thing, & leverage your GPA - most 'experienced' people will average an A or A- grade across their MBA.

Use the thesis as both a deep dive, and a strategic opportunity. A published paper, & a MBA with a solid GPA, will open academic gates.

It will also distinguish you from other MBA's with similar work experience.

Good luck!

SD

If you're good at sales, you'll make a ton of money with Series 7 and 66. If you're not a sales guy, expect to make less than $50,000 per year for a while.

I'd only go the MBA route if you get into a top tier school.

You have to decide what you eventually want to be ..... the guy who hires the salesman, or the salesman who has to take the money.

Both can be lucrative, but long-term - you cant do both.

US Pay rates.  http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Business_Administration_%28MBA%29/Salary

Average pay ... not Ivey League pay, from which to pay the interest on that massive debt incurred to get the Ivey League MBA

An MBA is just a sheepskin, it's real value is what you intend to with it within 5 years of graduation.

If you intend to be enterprising, any reasonable MBA school will do; if you intend to work at GS,MS, etc. - it's Ivey League or go home.

Everybody wants to take the 'girl in the red dress' for a spin.

The enterprising man sells slots on her dance card, splits the proceeds with her, & dates her sisters.

Cool aid is designed to dull the senses

Use it!

SD