Question For Those That Voted For Trump

Parsad

Scott Adams teaches you about Trump's latest masterstroke,  immigration.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/156532225711/the-persuasion-filter-and-immigration

This was a good read.  I've looked back over my adult life and now see that many of the things I hitherto viewed as "big mistakes" were really instances of me being a master negotiator.  I'm going to call Tony Schwartz and see if he'd be interested in another ghostwriting gig. 

I don't support Trump but I respect that there are a lot of intelligent people who do.  I simply fail to see how his supporters continue to pretend that his mistakes are actually "masterstrokes" of strategy.  He is an intentionally ill-informed contrarian who makes decisions quickly and without much detailed analysis.  This leads to big mistakes and they should be viewed as such, however good the intentions may be. 

Incidentally:  Whenever I imagine Steve Bannon whispering in Trump's ear I think of Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings.  Which begs the question.... who is Saruman?

I didn't vote.

Just wanted to comment that his decisions could turn out to be both big mistakes - or big wins. Randomness does that and I suspect that a whole lot of highly informed, carefully strategized decisions still go off the rails and turn into huge mistakes.  (It's a bit like trying to beat the S&P500 over time. Almost no one does it successfully. Life is just too complex and interactive.)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are just facts.

Please limit the discussion to bone headed opinions only.

The level of paranoia in a country like the US is truly astounding. I'm surprised that it exists to such a degree even on a board like this.

The thing is that the only people he fools are his diehard supporters (i.e. The Dilbert cartoonist who thinks he has it all figured out) who reinforce the notion in their heads that he is a genius.

You mean the cartoonist who correctly predicted a landslide win by Trump, one year before it happened?

The thing is that the only people he fools are his diehard supporters (i.e. The Dilbert cartoonist who thinks he has it all figured out) who reinforce the notion in their heads that he is a genius.

You mean the cartoonist who correctly predicted a landslide win by Trump, one year before it happened?

Landslide!? Lol...

"Guy who predicted Trump" is like "Guy who predicted financial crisis". Just because they got one right doesn't make them fortune tellers and sure doesn't make their other views valid. But they do love harping on that one time they got it right.

Landslide!? Lol...

"Guy who predicted Trump" is like "Guy who predicted financial crisis". Just because they got one right doesn't make them fortune tellers and sure doesn't make their other views valid. But they do love harping on that one time they got it right.

It's interesting how the narrative changes when you repeat something enough. Trump called his election win a landslide. The data shows anything but. He won key battleground states by 0-2% margins. And on top of it all, he lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, or 2% of the total voting public.

Landslide!? Lol...

He called a win against 17 Republican opponents, when the media said he would never win.

He called a win against against HRC, when media said he had almost no chance.

To me seems pretty long odds for a fluke. 

If you'd rather put your trust in CNN, be my guest. 

Landslide!? Lol...

It's interesting how the narrative changes when you repeat something enough. Trump called his election win a landslide. The data shows anything but. He won key battleground states by 0-2% margins. And on top of it all, he lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, or 2% of the total voting public.

Ya. Trump really implementing strategy of some of the most brutal leaders in history with his smoke and mirrors that work so well on his diehard supporters. You really can fool some of the people all of the time.

Landslide!? Lol...

I concede that Hillary won the imaginary election where popular vote counts.  Give her a participation trophy.

Seriously, if the popular vote mattered do you really think Trump would have run the same campaign?  No, he would have shifted his energy to the big cities and completely changed the outcome.

What are the chances of being killed by an AR-15?

I don't know, but 49 people were killed by an AR-15 in one night last year at Pulse nightclub.  That's a lot more than were killed by refugees all year.  Cheers!

Landslide!? Lol...

He called a win against 17 Republican opponents, when the media said he would never win.

He called a win against against HRC, when media said he had almost no chance.

To me seems pretty long odds for a fluke. 

If you'd rather put your trust in CNN, be my guest.

Sample size of one, etc.

Saw a poll from rasmussen that majority of usa support the travel ban. 

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/january_2017/most_support_temporary_ban_on_newcomers_from_terrorist_havens

One of the problems here is democrats are going around insulting their electorate rather than address their concerns. Even saw ref to deplorables on this thread. Point of an argument folks is to convince others not to insult them.

Just my opinion.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/january_2017/most_support_temporary_ban_on_newcomers_from_terrorist_havens

One of the problems here is democrats are going around insulting their electorate rather than address their concerns. Even saw ref to deplorables on this thread. Point of an argument folks is to convince others not to insult them.

Just my opinion.

@No_free_lunch

Finally some interesting news, Trump fired Acting Attorney General Sally Yate @ DOJ.

Cheers!

Just my opinion.

Why does it matter what people think? There's morality and there's the law and then there's public opinion. Public opinion changes with the wind - there's even a quote from Buffett about this somewhere, something about weighing machine vs. voting machine?

That poll was done 5 days ago, and I'm pretty sure if someone did a poll now after the protests and the reports about decent people being kept from their homes, separated from their families etc, the results would be drastically different.

Another problem is that people place too much emphasis on feelings rather than facts.

The reality is that 1) terrorists pose very little real threat to the U.S.

Significantly more people are killed by the measles, car accidents, domestic abuse etc every year than terrorist attacks.

2) this ban does nothing to reduce that threat, and may very well increase anger towards the U.S. from the communities that are impacted

3) the ban doesn't even include Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan (this point has been made many times so I will not repeat it again)

But hey, it makes people feel better. Great.

At the same time, it is hurting a lot of decent people. And there are very material, though hidden, costs to the American economy (Apple was co-founded by the son of a Syrian immigrant) and it has done some very real damage to the moral fabric of society that people like you do not seem to notice or care.

Also. I will say it again. If usa is so bad why is everyone fighting to be let in?

No one is saying that the U.S. is bad.  People are saying that some of the governing President's actions and behaviors are bad, and they don't represent all of the qualities and values that make people want to clamour and fight to live in the U.S.  Cheers!

Also. I will say it again. If usa is so bad why is everyone fighting to be let in?

Gotta love Americans' high opinion of themselves. Who's this everyone that's trying to get in? Do you see mass migration to US from Canada? Sweden? UK, Australia, Czech Republic, Poland? Even Mexico has negative migration with the United States.

So can you please elaborate on this everyone who is fighting to get in? I mean yes the US is a much better place than Syria. But is that really who you want as your comp?

Just my opinion.

@No_free_lunch

Finally some interesting news, Trump fired Acting Attorney General Sally Yate @ DOJ.

Cheers!

Because she wouldn't defend the travel ban.  Cheers!

Just my opinion.

Why does it matter what people think? There's morality and there's the law and then there's public opinion. Public opinion changes with the wind - there's even a quote from Buffett about this somewhere, something about weighing machine vs. voting machine?

That poll was done 5 days ago, and I'm pretty sure if someone did a poll now after the protests and the reports about decent people being kept from their homes, separated from their families etc, the results would be drastically different.

Another problem is that people place too much emphasis on feelings rather than facts.

Significantly more people are killed by the measles, car accidents, domestic abuse etc every year than terrorist attacks.

2) this ban does nothing to reduce that threat, and may very well increase anger towards the U.S. from the communities that are impacted

3) the ban doesn't even include Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan (this point has been made many times so I will not repeat it again)

At the same time, it is hurting a lot of decent people. And there are very material, though hidden, costs to the American economy and it has done some very real damage to the moral fabric of society that people like you do not seem to notice or care.

On point 1:

All it takes is one real incident and your stats are F'd.  I wouldn't be content to just ignore these issues.  I think most will agree.

On point 2:

If it is so easy to stir up terrorism then that is just indication that it is a real problem.

On point 3:

The list was chosen based on a list Obama had put together to keep the politics a little bit more manageable.  Obviously didn't work.

Rb,

Right, I can see how you would get that.  I am not an american hence my angle.

Folks, the left is full of violent, self-righteous individuals so for my own safety this will be my last post to the thread.  Take care.  Keep talking.

Just my opinion.

At the same time, it is hurting a lot of decent people. And there are very material, though hidden, costs to the American economy and it has done some very real damage to the moral fabric of society that people like you do not seem to notice or care.

On point 1:

All it takes is one real incident and your stats are F'd.  I wouldn't be content to just ignore these issues.  I think most will agree.

On point 2:

If it is so easy to stir up terrorism then that is just indication that it is a real problem.

On point 3:

The list was chosen based on a list Obama had put together to keep the politics a little bit more manageable.  Obviously didn't work.

Rb,

Right, I can see how you would get that.  I am not an american hence my angle.

Folks, the left is full of violent, self-righteous individuals so for my own safety this will be my last post to the thread.  Take care.  Keep talking.

1. Yeah, maybe a lot of people will agree. It doesn't mean they are right in feeling that way though.

'Those who practice speaking in a way to catch the favor of vulgar herd also turn out in general to be incontinent in their lives and fond of pleasure. And this surely is to be expected; for if, in providing pleasure for others, they disregard what is honorable, they would be slow to place that which is upright and sound above the gratification of their own pleasures and luxurious tastes, and slow to pursue the temperate course instead of the agreeable.'

2. The real problem is that people are angry at the U.S. for the wanton destruction they've caused around the world since the early 2000s, and I'm not sure how this ban helps with that.