Professional money managers here

jobyts

Was wondering who all in this group are professional money managers and managing other people's money. If you don't mind, can you mention the firm's name as well? (Managing friend's and family account without a legal entity doesn't count) Not sure if this is against the forum policy.

You might get more answers if you'd mention what's the goal of this question.

There's a number of professional money managers on this forum.

They might not want to explicitly advertise themselves as you ask them to do.

I'm not.

You might get more answers if you'd mention what's the goal of this question.

There's a number of professional money managers on this forum.

They might not want to explicitly advertise themselves as you ask them to do.

I'm not.

Thanks Jurgis.

After seeing the results of last year's + cumulative returns and the level of research by some folks here, I don't think I could ever achieve that kind of results by doing my own research. I'm exploring an opportunity if it's better someone else managing my money.

At present I do not have much money to manage, but there is a reasonably good chance that I could end up with a very large amount of money within the next 12-24 months time frame, based on how well my current company does. So my goal is to shortlist few money managers and get used to their investment style by silently watching their posts, until the time comes.

If anyone is not comfortable advertising themselves, you could send me a private message. But a group message might help others as well.

After seeing the results of last year's + cumulative returns and the level of research by some folks here, I don't think I could ever achieve that kind of results by doing my own research. I'm exploring an opportunity if it's better someone else managing my money.

I suspect some posters may have regulatory issues (or issues with their compliance officers) regarding anything that could be considered client solicitation (or posting returns, for that matter).  If there are posters whose research/posts have impressed you, you can private message them and ask.  If they are looking for clients, you'll get a quick response.   

I'll second what KJP said.

Some of my thoughts about finding money managers:

Read CoBF, note links that people put in their signatures or on the globe next to avatar. Some pro money managers have links to their business pages. If person uses their real name, you can google them too.

Go to microcap conf maybe - there are some money managers going there. Or/and look for past microcap conf attendees and their presentations.

Same for Fairfax meeting, though this is more Canadian-specific. There are usually US based people there too.

Manager availability depend on country where you're in. I assume you're in US, but if not, then you should explicitly say so. There are managers here who can only take clients from US or Canada or Europe.

Once you see someone you like and they may be taking new clients, ask for their past client letters/etc. and try to figure out if you like their style/etc.

IMO, be careful about the high returns in concentrated portfolios without long history. They could blow up. It's nice to see 30-60% returns a year, but what if they rely on couple speculative stocks or something? Would you yourself hold such portfolio? If not, why would you go with a manager who does it? Even if they had a 40% return in 20XX?

On the other hand, a manager who has a long history of good returns will have likely graduated to big league ... or is not really great... so it's a Catch-22...

On yet another hand, a manager who runs non-concentrated portfolio may not be much better than index fund. Is it worth paying 2-and-?? for them?

Maybe consider Sequoia?

There are tons of other questions that may or may not matter to you:

- If taxable account, does your manager generate short term gains ... or losses?

- If SMA, how comfortable are you handling tax preparation based on your manager's trades (if they trade often/overseas, this might become complex)?

- If hedge fund/partnership, how comfortable are you with filing K-1/etc.

- Do you qualify for hedge fund/partnership?

With that said, if there are US based managers who are interested in account that might be sized $XXK+, drop me PM too. ;) SMA preferred.

Edit: Just to be clear, I personally hate to do K1s and I hate to do "am I qualified investor" crap, which is why I prefer SMA. Not that SMA is without issues. And yeah, bigger money managers won't do SMA if they already have hedge fund/partnership.

It is exactly what I asked Picasso for... And of course I don't think it would be a bad idea!

I try to stick to "great businesses, with great management, at fair prices" because the time I devote to investing in the stock market is limited: I run a business which provides useful services and products and which has given me great satisfaction (until now at least!). And the endeavor to make it grow consumes the majority of my working time.

But I recognize the fact that other investing strategies (micro-caps, restructurings and special situations) might uncover much more value and therefore yield much better results. Like the FELP thread has demonstrated or like the results posted by writser and Hielko demonstrate.

I wouldn't mind investing with a manager who has a good track record in finding special situations that have been rewarding, who takes the time to explain in great detail what he is doing (like Picasso has done with FELP), and whose fees are reasonable.

Cheers,

Gio