Your 2017 Best Ideas

doughishere

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't really have anything I have high conviction on.  I know it goes again the spirit of the thread but I will throw out a small basket.  These are all securities I have purchased in the past few weeks and they are all still reasonably priced.  If anyone is calculating results next year, treat this as a single idea split with equal weights.

BAM, ELF.TO, GILD, BOIVF, MCO

Not sure if it will perform amazing this year but ICLTF is nonetheless my favorite thing to buy right now. Imo this is potentially very interesting if you like LMB. Short write-up is on the board. 

2. PMD (thesis is playing out but still expect at least one good quarter before I'm willing to move it down on the list)

3. OSTK

Yes.  That's the MCR.  Lots of ways to win and solid asset base in the unlikely event the company misses on all the projects.

Also I think there is a good chance Petronas LNG gets approved in April.  That would be very big for them.

NVO - Novo Nordisk

CET.TO - Cathedral Energy

BPE.TO - Brightpath Education

XMF.A.TO - M-Split Corp. I believe Canadian insurers will see a good year, as interest rates rise, but I'd rather have some leveraged opportunity, which XMF.A presents in this situation. It's like holding a $30 CAD call option due to expire on December 1, 2019 on Manulife.

Sorry - the last three are tiny stocks, but I have large positions in each (and am long all four stocks noted).

As others, I don't have very high conviction after the recent rally. Two ideas that I think will work are BUD and German real estate.

This is interesting, why do you think this will be a great investment?

Germany historically has had low ownership rates and stable prices. So number one there is a large rental market. 2. RE is quite cheap in German cities. 3. Due to the interest rate situation ownership rates and prices have started to tick up in recent years. I think situation will continue. 4. Cap rates are pretty good by themselves so you don't need a lot of price appreciation. 5. There are some reits that are trading around book. Also they don't take a chunk of money out for their private "administration company" which is nice.

As others, I don't have very high conviction after the recent rally. Two ideas that I think will work are BUD and German real estate.

This is interesting, why do you think this will be a great investment?

Germany historically has had low ownership rates and stable prices. So number one there is a large rental market. 2. RE is quite cheap in German cities. 3. Due to the interest rate situation ownership rates and prices have started to tick up in recent years. I think situation will continue. 4. Cap rates are pretty good by themselves so you don't need a lot of price appreciation. 5. There are some reits that are trading around book. Also they don't take a chunk of money out for their private "administration company" which is nice.

This is really interesting to me as well. Any REITs you like over there in particular?

If you have access to financing and are a local I'd definitely recommend direct ownership in premium areas of cities. I've done only a cursory look at the reits so I'm not comfortable in recommending names at this point. I guess I'll make a post before or after I pull the trigger on specific names.