Trump wants to cancel Air Force One order from Boeing

John Hjorth

Trump wants to cancel Air Force One order from Boing.

Oh well. Somehow, I like the idea of the guy talking about material corporation tax cuts taking the lead and beeing a frontrunner in reducing [not needed?] US public spending.

[j/k] Perhaps he should consider taking the SR-71 out of the moth ball for his personal transportation, and his staff could travel before him using Norwegian, Ryan Air, EasyJet or whatever. .. -At least the SR-71 seems to fit his temper much better than a dull 747. [/j/k].

[Yes, I am a bit bored today - please don't get me started about the Royal Danish family!]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote for him but I am pleasantly surprised so far. Everything he's doing is music to my ears. He had confronted China and made clear he won't be a pushover so they better get the red carpet ready for him. He is questioning this mindless spending. $4B for a jet!!He is challenging the conservatives on infrastructure and fiscal policy.  His carrot and stick policy about offshoring will confuse the heck out of the companies which is good. These companies/countries thought they nailed the process to rip the American taxpayers but he is giving them nightmares,

I would love him to demand the protection money from the Europeans and get the heck out of Syria.

Well, there's also..

"Trump did not say why he believes the planes will cost "more than $4 billion." Boeing says currently has an Air Force Once contract worth $170 million."

and "So far the Air Force has budgeted $2.9 billion through 2021 for two new Air Force Ones, which will replace the aging pair of blue, white and polished aluminum 747-200Bs serving the President. "

$2.9 billion still seems like an extreme cost for 2 airplanes, but not sure where trump is getting $4 billion from (other than that he just makes half the shit he says up).

Well, there's also..

"Trump did not say why he believes the planes will cost "more than $4 billion." Boeing says currently has an Air Force Once contract worth $170 million."

and "So far the Air Force has budgeted $2.9 billion through 2021 for two new Air Force Ones, which will replace the aging pair of blue, white and polished aluminum 747-200Bs serving the President. "

$2.9 billion still seems like an extreme cost for 2 airplanes, but not sure where trump is getting $4 billion from (other than that he just makes half the shit he says up).

Gold plated toilets & 18th century French furniture...

Well, there's also..

"$2.9 billion still seems like an extreme cost for 2 airplanes, but not sure where trump is getting $4 billion from (other than that he just makes half the shit he says up)."

lol,

Half... most?

With most politicians you cannot often tell when they are full of it.  At least with Trump we can assume he is lying, or exaggerating, until proven otherwise.

Well, there's also..

I suspect that those nifty features like air refueling, ability to withstand the EMP from a nuclear blast, ability to defend against missiles and ability to conduct a global war from 30,000 ft add a little to the price tag.

In addition I suspect that a good chunk of the budget goes to the Air Force for planning, design of features, etc. That would be brown dollars not real cost since they'd still probably pay those people anyway even if they weren't working on this project.

Well, there's also..

I suspect that those nifty features like air refueling, ability to withstand the EMP from a nuclear blast, ability to defend against missiles and ability to conduct a global war from 30,000 ft add a little to the price tag.

In addition I suspect that a good chunk of the budget goes to the Air Force for planning, design of features, etc. That would be brown dollars not real cost since they'd still probably pay those people anyway even if they weren't working on this project.

good point.  I suppose someone will have to point this out to him at some point.

Yeah I get it you guys hate Trump, but do you think Hillary would have cared even if the planes cost $100B?

I don't know, but I do know that doing something and tweeting about it are quite different things.

True enough, Obama said he was going to end Bush's wars (and was given a Nobel Prize just for saying it) yet expanded the number of bombings massively, as well as the number of countries being bombed.  There is a huge difference between saying you are going to do something and actually doing it, but Trump can't do anything yet.  When he says he is going to do something liberals hate everyone acts as if it is a done deal and he has already done it, when he says he's going to do something good, like cut spending, he's criticized because he hasn't done it yet (even though he isn't in office).  Is there anything this guy could do or say that you'd be ok with?

Yeah I get it you guys hate Trump, but do you think Hillary would have cared even if the planes cost $100B?

Your so living in the past.... :-)

Hilary is gone, gone, gone..... 

Yes she is :) and there are no smiley faces large enough for that.

I don't know. I wouldn't write her of yet, she's like a cockroach ....

Plus there's many others just like her ready to take her place. Surprisingly fitting for the cockroach analogy  ;)

The new Air Force One planes aren't scheduled to enter service until 2024, meaning Trump wouldn't use them.

And

"The current pair of VC-25A aircraft that serve as Air Force One—two heavily modified Boeing 747-200B jetliners—are the last of their kind and have been in service since 1990. There are no 747-200 aircraft in commercial service anywhere in the world, making logistic support for them expensive. "Parts obsolescence, diminishing manufacturing sources, and increased down times for maintenance are existing challenges that will increase until a new aircraft is fielded,” Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said of the existing aircraft when the Boeing contract was announced."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/trump-tweets-rage-at-cost-of-new-air-force-one-cancel-order/

Your so living in the past.... :-)

Hilary is gone, gone, gone..... 

Yes she is :) and there are no smiley faces large enough for that.

I don't know. I wouldn't write her of yet, she's like a cockroach ....

Plus there's many others just like her ready to take her place. Surprisingly fitting for the cockroach analogy  ;)

Do you really think the Democratic Party will let her run again in 2020 and guarantee Trump a second term?  Yes of course there are always more.  cockroaches are a good analogy right down to the bunkers they will hide in after starting a nuclear war.  The cockroaches will be the only survivors.

I don't know, but I do know that doing something and tweeting about it are quite different things.

True enough, Obama said he was going to end Bush's wars (and was given a Nobel Prize just for saying it) yet expanded the number of bombings massively, as well as the number of countries being bombed.  There is a huge difference between saying you are going to do something and actually doing it, but Trump can't do anything yet.  When he says he is going to do something liberals hate everyone acts as if it is a done deal and he has already done it, when he says he's going to do something good, like cut spending, he's criticized because he hasn't done it yet (even though he isn't in office).  Is there anything this guy could do or say that you'd be ok with?

Yes; he could say this was all just a publicity stunt & he's stepping down before the inaugeration...

Well, there's also..

Gold plated toilets & 18th century French furniture...

I'm not so sure about that.  Maybe updating the 1970s Boardroom Style.

Photos Inside Air Force One: Obamas, Bushes, Clinton Share Ride to Mandela Memorial

By ABC NEWS Dec. 11, 2013

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inside-air-force-obamas-bushes-clinton-bond-mandela/story?id=21177264

Yes; he could say this was all just a publicity stunt & he's stepping down before the inaugeration...

LOL.  That would be awesome.  Best president ever!

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-12-06-Boeing-Statement-on-Air-Force-One

CHICAGO, Dec. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) today issued the following statement regarding the Air Force One program:

"We are currently under contract for $170 million to help determine the capabilities of these complex military aircraft that serve the unique requirements of the President of the United States. We look forward to working with the U.S. Air Force on subsequent phases of the program allowing us to deliver the best planes for the President at the best value for the American taxpayer."

Couldn't agree more. Where does president elect get his facts from? Companies PR department will need to be on their game with trump.

I think we'll have lots of these types of press releases in the future. It'll go like this: The president tweets some crazy thing, a company issues a press release to explain what is actually going on.

Well, there's also..

So new stealth bombers were supposed to cost $55B or 550M per plane:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/03/04/55-75-Billion-Guess-How-Much-New-Stealth-Bomber-Will-Cost

$2.9B for two planes still seems a bit steep. On one hand it's only 2 planes so there's no cost spread over multiple planes build. On the other hand, even with all the fancy defensive and comm stuff, the Air Force One is likely less complicated to design and build compared to new stealth bomber...

Air Force one isn't just a plane, it's a flying nuclear command center and a bunch of other things.

I read that Trump tweeted that like 22 minutes after an interview with Boeing's CEO was published where he said critical things about Trump... So could just be a form of cyber-bullying.

Air Force one isn't just a plane, it's a flying nuclear command center and a bunch of other things.

I read that Trump tweeted that like 22 minutes after an interview with Boeing's CEO was published where he said critical things about Trump... So could just be a form of cyber-bullying.

Make America Hate Again