2016 net worth poll

shalab
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Regarding health.  Healthy people always like to say "exercise and eat right" and you'll never have a problem.  Time and chance happen to us all.  I've experienced fluke health events that are both serious and supposedly impossible for a healthy person who runs daily, is thin, and eats right.  My wife claims that if I wasn't so in shape what I'd experienced probably would have killed me, maybe that's true as well.  In life there is no A/B testing.

The assumption here being that the health care is what will save you in case of these fluke events. But healthcare often does nothing and sometimes even kills you. The number of iatrogenic deaths (death due to medical error) is something like 200,000 a year. For some context the number of people who die in car accidents is 35,000 a year.

Some interesting graphs:

Life expectancy vs GDP per capita

Life expectancy vs total health spending per capita

Life expectancy vs number of doctors per capita

Observe that health care spending varies over 1 full order of magnitude and yet life expectancies are flat beyond a very low level of health spending. And physicians per capita varies over a factor of 5 and lifespans are mostly flat to even decreasing beyond 1 physician per 1000 people (US has 2.7 doctors per 10000, Russian has 4.3 doctors per 10000).

Costa Rica spends one tenth what the US spends on health care, they have half the doctors per capita and they life slightly longer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first question is:

Do you want to retire in Manhattan or Mississippi?

The answer to that will dictate your necessary income.

Retire in Mississippi and, with the money you save on rent, you can travel to Manhattan once a month for an extended weekend and still save on your taxes!

Disclosure: I've lived in both.

"Live in low CoL place and visit high CoL place often" is certainly my retirement plan!

The first question is:

Do you want to retire in Manhattan or Mississippi?

The answer to that will dictate your necessary income.

Retire in Mississippi and, with the money you save on rent, you can travel to Manhattan once a month for an extended weekend and still save on your taxes!

Disclosure: I've lived in both.

"Live in low CoL place and visit high CoL place often" is certainly my retirement plan!

Mine too.