Max Gunther "How to get Lucky"

Jurgis

"13 techniques for discovering and taking advantage of life's good breaks"

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1906659982

OK, I was sure that this book was mentioned here on CoBF, but I can't find the thread. Maybe it was mentioned on Farnham Street blog or somewhere else.

Anyway, IMO this is a great book. Ignore the title. Ignore most of intro. Ignore some of the stock market examples. But the gist of the book is pure gold. It's not metaphysics. It's not hokey new age stuff. It's pretty much heuristics on how to make the chances that occur in the universe work more in your favor than against. Definitely applicable to your life. Might be applicable to current political situation.

Some of the book's suggestions have been mentioned on this board in other threads, e.g. on how to get your (hedge fund/investment) business going. You might be already using some techniques like "Worst Case Analysis". Others you might not like or object to. For example, his stock market suggestions are mostly based on random walk and regression to mean, so the concentrated moat investors will ignore most of what he says there. But there might be some techniques that will give additional punch for your life and/or career.

"Recognizing a Nonlesson" and "Accepting an Unfair Universe" might be good ones to reread now. ;)

I should learn to adopt "The Closed Mouth" more. At least I'm definitely on the road of adopting it for investment ideas.  8)

Anyway, the 14th lesson would be: know how to balance 13 techniques, when to use which one and when to not. ;)

Thanks for the read: http://sanjaymeena.io/books/book_notes_how_to_be_lucky/

many of these I have already learned on some level or another. I have found 11. Accepting an unfair Universe most helpful :)

11. Accepting an unfair Universe

•   Fairness is a human concept. The rest of the universe knows nothing of it.

• Chaos is not dangerous until it begins too look orderly. Look around at human life and accept it the way it comes : “Disorderly and Unfair.”

•   Anything can happen no matter how outrageous it seems. And anything cannot happen no matter how much you think it should.

Guest notorious546

Thanks for the read: http://sanjaymeena.io/books/book_notes_how_to_be_lucky/

many of these I have already learned on some level or another. I have found 11. Accepting an unfair Universe most helpful :)

11. Accepting an unfair Universe

•   Fairness is a human concept. The rest of the universe knows nothing of it.

• Chaos is not dangerous until it begins too look orderly. Look around at human life and accept it the way it comes : “Disorderly and Unfair.”

•   Anything can happen no matter how outrageous it seems. And anything cannot happen no matter how much you think it should.

enjoyed these notes. thanks everyone.