I Don't Like Trump...

Parsad

Yes Sanjeev, you need to give up Trump hotels. Is there anything wrong with the Four Seasons? Or Ritz Carlton? I'm a big fan of nice hotels and there are so many of them out there you won't miss the Trump Hotels.

There have to be consequences for this kind of stuff and money talks.

If I was able to give up German beer after their treatment of Greece you can give up Trump hotels.

Every four years this country goes through a revolution. Sometimes the in's win (Regan and Obama), sometimes the in's are tossed out (Carter or Johnson).

Thanks to our forefathers this revolution is mostly peaceful. Suck it up folks, we will have another revolution in four years IF he (she if it had been Hilary) isn't impeached before then which is a strong possibility.

jmho

Every four years this country goes through a revolution. Sometimes the in's win (Regan and Obama), sometimes the in's are tossed out (Carter or Johnson).

Thanks to our forefathers this revolution is mostly peaceful. Suck it up folks, we will have another revolution in four years IF he (she if it had been Hilary) isn't impeached before then which is a strong possibility.

jmho

Too many conflicts of interest operating here.  Impeachment is a real possiblity.  If/When his scandals and mouth become a national embarassment R. Reps will be trying to save their own skins and will start an impeachment process.  At the very least within short order they will firewall him. 

Its all just sowing the seeds for a needed democratic renewal. 

Yes Sanjeev, you need to give up Trump hotels. Is there anything wrong with the Four Seasons? Or Ritz Carlton? I'm a big fan of nice hotels and there are so many of them out there you won't miss the Trump Hotels.

If I was able to give up German beer after their treatment of Greece you can give up Trump hotels.

I'm still hoping he's a closet Democrat and did all this simply to win.

You gave up German beer!  :(  Cheers!

I'm not very familiar with DC names, but this http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/donald-trump-transition-drain-the-swamp/ seems to indicate he's more likely gonna be coopted by conservative GOP "advisors". So far things seem to be pointing to GOP congress/senate driving the agenda or at least picking the bits they like from Trump's soundbytes.

OTOH, the only thing I learned from hanging out at another forum with someone who was DC insider is that outsiders (and especially Internetz commentators) mostly have no clue about the process and influences there. So I'll try to shut up since I definitely don't.  8)

Peace.

I learned from hanging out at another forum with someone who was DC insider is that outsiders (and especially Internetz commentators) mostly have no clue about the process and influences there.

Ahem, I watched all 7 seasons of The West Wing, 3 times. So I think I know how DC politics works.

Josh Lyman will have things under control, he's the voice of reason.  8)

jmho

Too many conflicts of interest operating here.  Impeachment is a real possiblity.  If/When his scandals and mouth become a national embarassment R. Reps will be trying to save their own skins and will start an impeachment process.  At the very least within short order they will firewall him. 

I hope he isn't impeached (or one of the crazy liberals we see crying or defecating on the sidewalk doesn't flip out and kill him).  Trump is unlikely to be that bad a president, but Pence would be awful.  Trump is basically a New York liberal pretending to be a conservative.  Pence however is the real deal.  Pence is a big time religious nut conservative.  When he says anti-gay things, or anti-abortion things, unlike Trump, he really means it.

I don't think he is a closet Democrat, I don't think he is a politician in the usual sense.  He's pretty much doing this for publicity and his own ego.  Unlike someone like Hillary, I doubt he is obsessed with political power for its own sake.  I think he is closer to being a liberal than he let on in his campaign.  What is truly amazing to me is how the left is reacting.  There are people who are completely out of control, with no sense of proportion.  He's the president not the dictator, with the possible exception of foreign policy he really doesn't have all that much unilateral power.  He needs congress to get anything done, and his own party isn't crazy about him.

jmho

I hope he isn't impeached (or one of the crazy liberals we see crying or defecating on the sidewalk doesn't flip out and kill him).  Trump is unlikely to be that bad a president, but Pence would be awful.  Trump is basically a New York liberal pretending to be a conservative.  Pence however is the real deal.  Pence is a big time religious nut conservative.  When he says anti-gay things, or anti-abortion things, unlike Trump, he really means it.

There is that.  Pence is off the charts in religious nuttiness, and  social backwardness. 

I don't think he is a closet Democrat, I don't think he is a politician in the usual sense.  He's pretty much doing this for publicity and his own ego.  Unlike someone like Hillary, I doubt he is obsessed with political power for its own sake.  I think he is closer to being a liberal than he let on in his campaign.  What is truly amazing to me is how the left is reacting.  There are people who are completely out of control, with no sense of proportion.  He's the president not the dictator, with the possible exception of foreign policy he really doesn't have all that much unilateral power.  He needs congress to get anything done, and his own party isn't crazy about him.

That too.  His own party is him, not the republicans. 

This chart says it all.  Republicans did not particularly like Trump, he got less votes than either Romney in 2012 or McCain in 2008.  The best way to describe this election isn't "Trump won", but rather "Hillary lost".  Trump doesn't exactly have overwhelming support and the Republican Party leadership is not happy at all.  My point is that he won't be able to do anything crazy.

Turnout-2.jpg

This chart says it all.  Republicans did not particularly like Trump, he got less votes than either Romney in 2012 or McCain in 2008.  The best way to describe this election isn't "Trump won", but rather "Hillary lost".  Trump doesn't exactly have overwhelming support and the Republican Party leadership is not happy at all.  My point is that he won't be able to do anything crazy.

Turnout-2.jpg

You are completely correct. Hillary lost. There is no more center in American politics and Trump will energize the left like no-one before.

However, I don't think DT is a closet liberal or some conservative for that matter. I think he's Donald Trump and I think the meant everything he said. I fully expect him to do everything he said he'll do. I don't think the republicans will stop him from anything. They didn't stand up to him before and they're not gonna start now. Plus they love sticking it to the democrats a lot more that what bothers them about Trump.

He will introduce some horrible policies. But those could be reversed in time. We mostly cleaned up the Bush mess.  I just hope he doesn't break some things that cant be fixed such as break NATO, let Putin redraw some borders in Europe, a war with Iran, etc. His influence on the Judicial Branch will be long lasting. Liberals will hate it but maybe this time they'll figure out that they should show up to vote.

However the vote is in and like you I do hope that he'll serve his whole 4 years. Because yes Mike Pence is a total nut job.

Who cares about popular votes? Look at this map:

geographic-landslide1.png

If you go popular vote, you don't want to know how many states will secede to the US (I'm not saying that is necessarily bad), smaller nations are far more effective.

Looks like a Verizon map.  Can you hear me now?

What is interesting is the numbers in Texas. There's non zero chance that Reps will lose Texas within next couple elections. (I wonder if they could have lost it this time if oil was still in $100 range... of course this also applies to other oil/shale states ... who knows)

Oh wait, that's why they plan to build the wall.

Maybe they should just build the wall at the northern border of Texas...  8)

What is truly amazing to me is how the left is reacting.  There are people who are completely out of control, with no sense of proportion.

Let me help you with this.  Electing an openly racist and sexist president matters. It changes the culture of the nation.  That might not impact white males, but it can make a real difference in the day-to-day life of minorities and women. This twitter feed has a few (well, fifty), examples.

To me, this is very worrisome.

What is truly amazing to me is how the left is reacting.  There are people who are completely out of control, with no sense of proportion.

Let me help you with this.  Electing an openly racist and sexist president matters. It changes the culture of the nation.  That might not impact white males, but it can make a real difference in the day-to-day life of minorities and women. This twitter feed has a few (well, fifty), examples.

People suck.

People suck.

I know. It makes me want to weep. In the past, you've implied that humanity needs to evolve socially to reach a better place for everyone, and I'm right there with you. Human nature is broken. We need to get beyond the "us" and the "them".

+1.

I for one would welcome our new Borg overlords. ( only partially :P )

Thank you.  I have been trying to restrain myself from twitter and commenting here or anywhere online, only muttering to my wife and my kids.

I will only add that I will have lived through three of the worst presidents (Nixon, BushII, and the Trumpster) that the US has ever had and that if Trump is only a mild disaster, but does not imperil the constitution, despite his loose talk and doesn't blowup NATO, but say only has a "mild" trade war with _____(fill in the blank), he won't be the worst--Bush's disaster in the Middle East would outrank him.