What Have You Jackasses Done...

Parsad

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we should stop calling names ... even though donald does it.

instead, think of why someone would vote for donald, its not simply because they are stupid/racist/sexist, i am sure some of them are stupid/racist/sexist just like i am sure some hillary voters are stupid/racist/sexist.

...down there. 

Really!  You're taking this all the way?!  Wake up stupid...wake up! 

Finally America has become one big reality show!  Even PT Barnum as President would make some sense!

Cheers!

...down there. 

Finally America has become one big reality show!  Even PT Barnum as President would make some sense!

Cheers!

I am in no way shape or form a Trump supporter but I believe the attitude expressed above is the most salient reason that gave rise to Trump and Trump-ism.  The sort of attitude prevalent among American I guess I'll call them "elites" for lack of a better word whose sort of attitude is "let the smart people figure it out for the masses and we'll tell you what we've decided."  The institutions of the elites in the United States - the government, academia, the media that seemingly only represents this elite worldview - seem to continuously expand their reach with the aim to dictate how people are supposed to think, their attitudes, how their resources should be spent, how much of their paycheck people are allowed to keep, etc.  You can see it in people in the media's attitude about Trump, "How dare you even think about voting for him?"  [i didn't vote for him, but that elitist attitude is grating.]

So it is not surprising that a backlash to elitism took hold.  In the 1980s, the music scene was dominated by Bon Jovi, Poison - hair bands - men with hairsprayed heads and skin tights pants.  So in the early 1990s, grunge took hold.  Quite literally the opposite.  Rather than skintight leather tights, Kurt Cobain rocked shirts with holes in them.  The elitist attitude that has taken hold in so many American institutions gave rise to Trump, just the way that hair bands gave rise to grunge.

So this was simply to spite the elite?  Well done.  Cheers!

...down there. 

Cheers!

I am in no way shape or form a Trump supporter but I believe the attitude expressed above is the most salient reason that gave rise to Trump and Trump-ism.  The sort of attitude prevalent among American I guess I'll call them "elites" for lack of a better word whose sort of attitude is "let the smart people figure it out for the masses and we'll tell you what we've decided."  The institutions of the elites in the United States - the government, academia, the media that seemingly only represents this elite worldview - seem to continuously expand their reach with the aim to dictate how people are supposed to think, their attitudes, how their resources should be spent, how much of their paycheck people are allowed to keep, etc.  You can see it in people in the media's attitude about Trump, "How dare you even think about voting for him?"  [i didn't vote for him, but that elitist attitude is grating.]

So it is not surprising that a backlash to elitism took hold.  In the 1980s, the music scene was dominated by Bon Jovi, Poison - hair bands - men with hairsprayed heads and skin tights pants.  So in the early 1990s, grunge took hold.  Quite literally the opposite.  Rather than skintight leather tights, Kurt Cobain rocked shirts with holes in them.  The elitist attitude that has taken hold in so many American institutions gave rise to Trump, just the way that hair bands gave rise to grunge.

Incidentally, the original post was meant tongue in cheek...thus the "jackass"reference.  But it was also meant to question why American's have chosen to self-flagellate themselves for the next four years.  Cheers!

...down there. 

Cheers!

So this was simply to spite the elite?  Well done.  Cheers!

The entrenched elite have been preaching to 95 million unemployed American workers that the economy's on solid footing.  They rattle off statistics and boast an unemployment rate "lowest in over a decade".  If you can't understand why someone out of a full time job for the last 5 years wouldn't be fed up with the condescension, then the results of this election haven't sunk in yet.

If this vote against the elite yields positive results, I'll be happy for all Americans.

However, in my experience populist votes for demagogues end up in crappy results for people who voted. So it only reinforces the view of the elite that they knew better. And the crappy results don't even stop the masses voting for another populist demagogue again.

I thought that Americans were better than that. Apparently not.

Now we will see the results. Unfortunately whatever happens nobody will learn a lesson.

If this vote against the elite yields positive results, I'll be happy for all Americans.

However, in my experience populist votes for demagogues end up in crappy results for people who voted. So it only reinforces the view of the elite that they knew better. And the crappy results don't even stop the masses voting for another populist demagogue again.

I thought that Americans were better than that. Apparently not.

Now we will see the results. Unfortunately whatever happens nobody will learn a lesson.

+1

My read is many, many people in the US are VERY upset with the status quo. The media needs to spend some time fleshing this out. People voted for change. Everyone is fixated on Trump and that is stopping them from understanding what is really happening tonight.

My read is many, many people in the US are VERY upset with the status quo. The media needs to spend some time fleshing this out. People voted for change. Everyone is fixated on Trump and that is stopping them from understanding what is really happening tonight.

OK. Let me just slightly rephrase what I wrote above:

If this vote for change yields positive results, I'll be happy for all Americans.

However, in my experience votes for change end up in crappy results for people who voted especially if that vote goes to a populist demagogue. Etc.

I completely understand when people vote for change. In my elitist viewpoint, most of the time they have no clue that there is no simple easy way to change things so they would become happy/rich/etc. Let's see what policies will magically usher this change. My guess: we'll see very little or none and very little to no impact. What then? Another change? Or rejection of democracy and rise of dictatorship? Let's hope for just another change... in 2-4 years.

BTW, Obama also promised change. IMO there wasn't much of big change apart of Obamacare...

The great thing about tonight has actually been the election coverage in Canada.  I've never seen an election team on CBC be so bitterly honest about their fears.  Almost always, they try to hedge and present a balanced view.  Tonight, they're not even trying.  It's like they're drunk, or so exhausted that all of their normal wariness and self-censorship has vanished.  It's clear they're angry, terrified, and totally freaked out.

Peter Mansbridge is actually starting to lose it.  He got some of the swing state stories wrong and is now asking his commentators whether they think Trump reads.... :)  I've never seen that for him.  (Maybe part of it is just because these guys have no teleprompter, but still....)

From Nate Silver:

We expect that Trump will eventually finish with about 47 percent of the popular vote which, if he wins the Electoral College, would be the lowest vote share for a president-elect since Bill Clinton in 1992 (43 percent).

Are the electoral votes binding?

Instead of reaching out to people who were on the fence about Hillary, a lot of Hillary supporters online were lambasting, mocking, deriding anyone for not voting for her.  Calling them racists, misogynists, hell, even JACKASSES.  Even Bernie supporters were shown this same kind of treatment.  I find it ironic that people like OP here would never expect that pushing people away, as opposed to reaching out to them with compassion and intelligence, could ever cause people to sway their votes away.

Instead of reaching out to people who were on the fence about Hillary, a lot of Hillary supporters online were lambasting, mocking, deriding anyone for not voting for her.  Calling them racists, misogynists, hell, even JACKASSES.  Even Bernie supporters were shown this same kind of treatment.  I find it ironic that people like OP here would never expect that pushing people away, as opposed to reaching out to them with compassion and intelligence, could ever cause people to sway their votes away.

And yet Trump succeded with that very strategy (of course you COULD say he reached out but that would be a stretch...)

It worked for him.  He didn't need the Clinton voters.  But, at this point, we all know Clinton definitely needed the Bernie and Johnson voters.  She could have also used some Trump ones too.  Having your supporters generally act like assholes online to any other dissenting voice is just going to cause them to say FUCK YOU, and vote accordingly.

Just goes to show that hatred & divisiveness are truly alive & well in the good old USA (you'd think being fat, dumb & happy would make us all, well, happy but apparently not...)

The sheep have spoken & now they'll graze where they're told.

On a positive note; I am loaded down with cash!

Even though I voted for HRC, I understood the outrage.

- for last 30 years, the blue collar workers were screwed by trade agreements. Take a look at devastation in NC due to furniture imports, loss of mfg jobs...all were replaced by low paying ones

- the bias in MSM in not covering the real issues and focusing on fringe issues like racism, PC was rejected

- people got sick and tired of HRC's shenanigans. R attacks worked in the end. But she had plenty of material to go after

- Clinton cash machine was a scandal. How did a former prez made $100MM+ giving speeches, when middle class got shafted. Clintons were so oblivious, they spent so much time with billionaires and started to act like one and aspired to become one.

- ACA became a big issue. R hammered this hard.

- Except to elites, DJT was a very effective communicator.

Finally, look at what DJT has said. He said, Pence will do all the work and his job is to MAGA. I.e. He'll gold coat WH toilets and just relax.