Cheap Lodging in DC

BG2008

I will be visiting DC to attend a conference at the Trump International Hotel on Pennsylvannia Ave on October 20th.  All the hotels cost over $300 per night.  Being a value investor, does anyone have suggestions for hotels outside of DC that's a quick drive to the event venue that would save me a bundle?  I would really appreciate a local's suggestion for places that I can stay within a 20min drive from the Trump Hotel.  I'm not opposed to staying at a Holiday Inn Express or an Extended Stay America.  Motels are no goes.  I've never used AirBnb before but I wouldn't be opposed to it.  Thanks in advance. 

AirBnb.  LIttle more work but sometimes you can find a great deal.

I second this. Do an AirBNB out in Tysons near the Tyson's Corner Station and take the silver/orange/blue in to the Trump International Hotel. It's right next to Federal triangle, so it's pretty convenient. Don't drive into DC -- parking is terrible.

Unfortunately, I moved to Dallas about two months ago or else I'd have offered to let you crash on the couch.

Another alternative would be Hotwire. More specifically the White House area of DC as defined by Hotwire. For some reason, there's usually a very good deal to be had (not as good as Airbnb though), and you're just a couple of blocks from pretty much everything. Plan to add another $40-50 a night for parking. Last time I used it, we landed the Sofitel and there's a public parking just a block away (still expensive, less so than the hotel's). Very nice hotel.

Guys, this was really helpful. I booked the hotel at Quality Inn for $102 per night.  I may save more with an Airbnb but then I'll have to worry about parking. Net net, it probably cost about the same.

By the same token, if any of you ever visit NYC, I recommend staying at hotels in off the Express E,F stops in Queens such as Roosevelt Ave/74th St, Forest Hills, or 61st Street Woodside or even Flushing Queens.  They look far away on the map.  But if you catch the express train into the city, sometimes it only take you 20 minutes to get into midtown.  So there's no need to pay $400 for a hotel in NYC. 

By the same token, if any of you ever visit NYC, I recommend staying at hotels in off the Express E,F stops in Queens such as Roosevelt Ave/74th St, Forest Hills, or 61st Street Woodside or even Flushing Queens.  They look far away on the map.  But if you catch the express train into the city, sometimes it only take you 20 minutes to get into midtown.  So there's no need to pay $400 for a hotel in NYC. 

This is helpful. Last time I was in NYC I felt like I got violated for what I paid. I'm not used to good public transport systems so it's not something I even considered.