OVER UNDER $10.38 quarters earnings estimate asper Thomson Financial research

Smazz

"OVER  - way over.

Smazz - maybe you could add a poll to this thread. "

Darn,

I didnt think of that - forgetting all the new features we have.

I dont think I can change this to a poll - would prob have to start a new thread.

Guest misterstockwell

Way way way over. Judging by what I could carve out of the ORH NAIC filings, FFH should have made an incredible amount of money in Q4.

Guest ericopoly

Earnings or book value?

Earnings should be massive due to realized gains on the hedges.  Unrealized losses on the stocks being hedged don't count in earnings, but count for book value.

I am an investor in ORH.  I see this as a blow-out quarter for ORH on the investment side.  Govt bonds surging into year-end, their stocks surging into year end after they simultaneously covered their equity index and other puts near the lows of Oct/Nov and bought stock.

No-brainer blow-out quarter for ORH on the investment side. 

Earnings or book value?

I prefer book value because earnings recognises investment results but not others simply based on how they are classified. Also, long term earnings power is basically driven by book which therefore makes it the better measure. FFH's quarterly earnings are too lumpy and volatile to be of much use for a long term investor.

I would also ask whether we should look at tangible book or reported book. NB privatisation will result in sizeable goodwill which will reduce tangible book.

Taking tangible book, the NB privatisation, and what has happened in the markets so far this year, I would guess that book has not risen very much since Q3 2008.

I am an investor in ORH.  I see this as a blow-out quarter for ORH on the investment side.  Govt bonds surging into year-end, their stocks surging into year end after they simultaneously covered their equity index and other puts near the lows of Oct/Nov and bought stock.

No-brainer blow-out quarter for ORH on the investment side. 

I actually own more ORH than FFH at this point.

What has or has not happened with the Bond is intriguiing to say the least.

At some point youd think Prem would have had to pull the trigger - some of the prices were/are going insane.