Interesting article about tipping more instead of giving to charity

eclecticvalue

When I travel abroad...especially in some of the "poorer" countries where the dollar carries much more weight I tend to 1) Tip the girl/guy directly, I hand cash to them look them in the eye and say this is for you, and 2) I try to give them a little more than "normal" 15%-20% or whatever...because i factor in the exchange rate. The meal costs less for me because my money is being earned in the US. Its still a cheeper meal for me and they get a larger tip.

I don't to this in a number of western countries because the generally have laws that  set a minimum wage that supposedly factors this in or  they already add a service charge.

As for charitable contributions. I only give to causes where I know the money will be spent with care. Which basically means that they are smaller local organizations and not giant corporation like entity's such as teh Red Cross or endowments, things of that nature.

Also, if im feeling generous at that moment where a guy/girl on the street is sleeping or what not I politely ask them if they need anything....a lot of the time they ask for socks or toothpaste or soap. I feel much better with this because I can gage who they are....If they ask for booze then yeah im gone.

I usually do this when I run into a CVS or something. Obviously, I dont do this all the time however they are not asking for it and they seem really enthused and much more appreciative. 

Edit: Also there has been a number of situations where drinks are comped or something then I'll factor the cost of what that drink(whatever) would normally be pay maybe 75% of that in the tip portion....like the article says if its $200(I dont think its ever been, tbh) wont give $150 but there is extra for the waiter.

Personally, I just think that the person at the table could use it. A single mom or college kid or something. The point is the money is back in the system to people who could use it right away and not sitting is some account in some bank somewhere.

Edit2: Just read the Transcript.....I do everything he does but probably on a much smaller scale. I also try to do it behind the backs of my friends...so I will get up go to the bathroom and find the waiter at the kiosk and do it there or something. I dont like my friends to know because its a very personal thing for me. Only they know and only I know.

Second thought while you got me going on this subject. I highly suggest everyone to go visit a country like Thailand. Go to Bangkok and take a tuk-tuk ride and see all the corrugated metal shanty's under the bridges or go to China to see how they live. Or walk the streets in Hong Kong.

Its truly remarkable how some of the world lives on so little.

As a White American male was shocking to me the first time groups of school kids will stare at you when you walk along the streets or in the subways or what not. You would literally stop traffic for some. Most of them have never seen or at least rarely seen westerners. For me being an American I take it for granted our diversity....just the other day I was watching the Olympics and said how any member of the other countries athaletes look "American" to me. That the diversity of America is...everyone.

They say that was a large part of success of Rome back in the day. That when they conquered a neighboring "tribe" whatever they integrated them into Roman society.

...but I digress.

Tipping a lot benefits quite specific socioeconomic slice. If that's what you want to achieve with your charity money, then OK. Otherwise, not.

Personally I donate to charities that are likely very different from what I would do with tipping more. Apart from some charities that I have personal connection with, I donate to WWF and some charities from http://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/

Tipping a lot benefits quite specific socioeconomic slice. If that's what you want to achieve with your charity money, then OK. Otherwise, not.

Personally I donate to charities that are likely very different from what I would do with tipping more. Apart from some charities that I have personal connection with, I donate to WWF and some charities from http://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/

I also give to the WWF and the Wilderness Society, http://wilderness.org