Iran nuclear deal

muscleman

Song: "Don't worry... Be happy."

Everything is fine. We have Obama and Clinton.

$400 million ransom paid to Iran as reported yesterday by WSJ. DOJ objected but, not Barrack...

Knife attack in London yesterday. How many killed in Chicago last night?

Cardboard

It only looks like ransom because it was $400mm in unmarked currency on a pallet delivered from an unmarked plane in the middle of the night!

So, when does the next payment tranche go out  8)

It would seem this is actually Iran's money being given back to them which has been held in trust since an arms deal with the Shah in which we never delivered the weapons in question. The timing of the hostage release to coincide with the payment is hard to see as anything other than a ransom, even if it's with their own money.

their own money.

It's hard to believe that a dictatorial theocratic government that violates the most basic human rights of its citizens and funds the deaths of Americans has a valid claim to the protection of its own property rights, particularly when the property in question belonged to the government that it deposed just prior to committing an act of war against America.

their own money.

It's hard to believe that a dictatorial theocratic government that violates the most basic human rights of its citizens and funds the deaths of Americans has a valid claim to the protection of its own property rights, particularly when the property in question belonged to the government that it deposed just prior to committing an act of war against America.

While I agree with your sentiment, I think it presupposes the money belonged to the Shah's regime and now belongs to the current regime. Perhaps its a bit naive of me but I like to think money spent by any government belong to its citizens. Iranians paid taxes which the Shah spent on arms which were never delivered, money was held in trust, the repayment is to Iranians not the current regime. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for my share if I were an Iranian who paid taxes back in the 70s but that's how it should work in theory...

More broadly, this isn't the first time Iran has released hostages to coincide with financial settlements, they used a similar tactic before releasing our embassy hostages in 1981. The optics look terrible for the US as anyone who doesn't understand that the US and Iran have been working out settlements since 1981 thinks it's a ransom payment and everyone now thinks you can successfully use US hostages as a bargaining chip when negotiating for other things.

It only looks like ransom because it was $400mm in unmarked currency on a pallet delivered from an unmarked plane in the middle of the night!

It would seem this is actually Iran's money being given back to them which has been held in trust since an arms deal with the Shah in which we never delivered the weapons in question. The timing of the hostage release to coincide with the payment is hard to see as anything other than a ransom, even if it's with their own money.

We should have shipped them 35 year old weapons systems instead of returning the cash.

We should have shipped them 35 year old weapons systems instead of returning the cash.

I was trying to be humorous. I relearned my lesson not to participate in these topics. I'll stick to telling the occasional joke on the "I need a Laugh. Tell me a joke..." thread so it will be obvious.

I was trying to be humorous. I relearned my lesson not to participate in these topics. I'll stick to telling the occasional joke on the "I need a Laugh. Tell me a joke..." thread so it will be obvious.

We should ship them some nukes.

Oh wait.

I'll switch threads.  ;D ;D

I liked your joke  ;D

I think the original purchase order was for fighter jets so maybe some old F4s that have been sitting in a boneyard for 30 years would work.