For those who believe Trump is unfit to serve as President

onyx1
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No sure that's really an option and a precedent you want to create (how do you "prove" fitness?). But I certainly feel uneasy with Trump line of questioning on nuclear weapons:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

Buffett has always been very worried about nuclear weapons. It's not surprising that he's campaigning more in this election than he did in the past.

No sure that's really an option and a precedent you want to create (how do you "prove" fitness?). But I certainly feel uneasy with Trump line of questioning on nuclear weapons:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

Buffett has always been very worried about nuclear weapons. It's not surprising that he's campaigning more in this election than he did in the past.

That would be sort of a strange line of logic though given that the chief risk of nuclear/chemical annihilation comes from Islamic fascists, who the most recent administration has appeased on a scale unprecedented since WWII.

"The Republican nominee is unfit to serve as president"  -- Obama, 8/2/2016

Should Obama impose martial law protect the country in the event of Trump's victory?

Do you

(a) genuinely admire Trump and see him as the right sort of leader who would be a good POTUS or

(b) are you supporting him holding your nose, because you dislike Mrs. Clinton?

If (a), what do you admire about him? If (b), what are some things that he can do that would turn you off from voting for him?

Not trying to make a point or anything of that sort, I am trying to understand your point of view.

Vinod

He's not going to set off nukes. That's ridiculous. If he did that there would be a viable reason. He's over the top, but not stupid.

Trumps biggest problem is he doesn't do much to hide his self centered nature unlike a typical politician.

This is the kind of conspiracy bullshit that that drives the Republican party away from appealing to the principles shared by moderates and towards fringe lunacy.

No, Barack Obama will not enact martial law.

No, Jade Helm did not result in the seizing of people's guns through the network of Walmarts.

Insinuating such is destructive to rational thought and American democracy.

As Ryan Lizza's New Yorker piece chronicled:

“I used to spend ninety per cent of my constituent response time on people who call, e-mail, or send a letter, such as, ‘I really like this bill, H.R. 123,’ and they really believe in it because they heard about it through one of the groups that they belong to, but their view was based on actual legislation,” [Representative Devin] Nunes [Republican from California and Chairman of the House Committee on Intelligence] said. “Ten per cent were about ‘Chemtrails from airplanes are poisoning me’ to every other conspiracy theory that’s out there. And that has essentially flipped on its head.” The overwhelming majority of his constituent mail is now about the far-out ideas, and only a small portion is “based on something that is mostly true.” He added, “It’s dramatically changed politics and politicians, and what they’re doing.”

Should Obama impose martial law protect the country in the event of Trump's victory?

Do you

(a) genuinely admire Trump and see him as the right sort of leader who would be a good POTUS or

If (a), what do you admire about him? If (b), what are some things that he can do that would turn you off from voting for him?

Not trying to make a point or anything of that sort, I am trying to understand your point of view.

Vinod

Vinod1:  Before I respond, lets agree that there is zero chance either of us will change the others minds.  OK?

But since you asked:

Generally (b),  I draw the line at candidates who exhibit a strong inference of serious criminal behavior.

Regarding Trump.  He has negatives, but I find the positives things he can do on important matters to far outweigh them.  He is far more likely to:

• respect the rule of law,
  • deal with the threats to this country directly,
  • understand the importance of the free enterprise system and the capitalists who simply want to operate without regulatory overburden,
  • nominate supreme court justices that lean constitutionalist,
  • secure the border,
  • unhinge the corrosive PC culture,
  • make other unpopular decisions as he is not corrupted by the donor class.

Will he be the "right sort of leader"?  Probably not in the traditional sense, but I'm more interested in getting things done than following a playbook.

A cure worse than the disease.

Electing Trump is one thing, suspending the democratic process is a completely different thing entirely. The country will survive a Trump presidency, much like it will survive a HRC presidency. The incumbent president imposing martial law because they don't agree or respect their successor sets a far more dangerous precedent than anything Trump can do.

It's amazing how quickly Americans forget civics 101, we have checks and balances in place to limit the power of the executive branch. Both Trump and Hillary will likely face a House and Senate opposed to much of the legislation they wish to pass.

And at least according to Donald Trump Jr., Trump will be too busy "making America great again" to do any actual governing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/magazine/how-donald-trump-picked-his-running-mate.html?_r=0

But according to the Kasich adviser (who spoke only under the condition that he not be named), Donald Jr. wanted to make him an offer nonetheless: Did he have any interest in being the most powerful vice president in history?

When Kasich’s adviser asked how this would be the case, Donald Jr. explained that his father’s vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

Then what, the adviser asked, would Trump be in charge of?

“Making America great again” was the casual reply.

As others have posted, Trump would likely not be that great for the US, but imposing martial law and stopping our democratic process is highly likely to be far worse over the long term. It would set a seriously bad precedent. Stopping democracy because you don't agree with the views of the other person is taking the wrong path down a bad road in my opinion. We must work our differences out and continue to grow our country in a stabilized manner.

As others have posted, Trump would likely not be that great for the US, but imposing martial law and stopping our democratic process is highly likely to be far worse over the long term. It would set a seriously bad precedent. Stopping democracy because you don't agree with the views of the other person is taking the wrong path down a bad road in my opinion. We must work our differences out and continue to grow our country in a stabilized manner.

It is a ridiculous question to start with. Of course it won't happen. The only place where such a proposition would be plausible is in the imagination of the most ardent Trump supporter who is convinced that everything is rigged and that the almighty and all devious Obama will steal Trump's victory.

It is a ridiculous question to start with. Of course it won't happen. The only place where such a proposition would be plausible is in the imagination of the most ardent Trump supporter ...

It's not the Trump supporters who are comparing him to Hitler.

It is a ridiculous question to start with. Of course it won't happen. The only place where such a proposition would be plausible is in the imagination of the most ardent Trump supporter ...

It's not the Trump supporters who are comparing him to Hitler.

The question was whether Obama would implement martial law.

Do you

Vinod

Vinod1:  Before I respond, lets agree that there is zero chance either of us will change the others minds.  OK?

But since you asked:

Generally (b),  I draw the line at candidates who exhibit a strong inference of serious criminal behavior.

Regarding Trump.  He has negatives, but I find the positives things he can do on important matters to far outweigh them.  He is far more likely to:

• respect the rule of law,
  • deal with the threats to this country directly,
  • understand the importance of the free enterprise system and the capitalists who simply want to operate without regulatory overburden,
  • nominate supreme court justices that lean constitutionalist,
  • secure the border,
  • unhinge the corrosive PC culture,
  • make other unpopular decisions as he is not corrupted by the donor class.

Will he be the "right sort of leader"?  Probably not in the traditional sense, but I'm more interested in getting things done than following a playbook.

Thanks for your response. If you believe that way, I can see why you would prefer Trump.

Vinod