Choosing the right university

WneverLOSE

The topic showed up on my browser shortened as "Choosing the right univers" and I thought "wow, I did not know I could choose the universe to live in".  :o  ;D

I'm sure someone will post more useful reply.

Peace. :)

Edit: IMO better university is almost always the way to go. But ratings may not be accurate, so it would be good to get opinion from someone who really knows universities involved. E.g. I did my degree in the university that was rated #2 by some criteria and otoh was not considered great by other criteria. I don't think it was #2 but it was way better than "common" view.

Which is the better university for the specific subjects you would like to study? Will you continue there for a Masters?

Also if the more expensive one is better, then how much better? Is it worth the additional cost?

Will language be an issue?

What about work after your degree? Which will provide you with the network to get a job where you want to work?

It might help to think about where you want to be after the Bachelors/Masters and work your way back to making the choice.

Hi, My name is Daniel and I am 21 years old. I am looking to study for a bachelor degree in business administration and I am having some difficulties deciding where I would like to study.

I have the option to study at Umea university in sweden (which is ranked 300+ in the world university ranking) or I can study in Aarhus university in Denmark (ranked 100+- in the world university ranking).

I was born in Israel and have lived here all my life, but I also have a swedish passport.

How would you approach this situation ? should I choose the university with the higher ranking or should I choose the university that I have close family members next by and is going to cost me less to attend ?

Purely by geography I'd go for Aarhus. Or choose the one with the best male:female ratio, which without checking I'm going to guess is Aarhus too. It's not going to matter much academically, no Scandinavian universities have way more caché than any other.  You could maybe argue for Handels (Stockholm) if you are going into business, but that point is moot if you can't get in there anyway.

Also, you are probably not going to appreciate the climate in Umeå.

If you do well you could always transfer to Lund, Uppsala, Handels etc for your Masters' if the reputation of the school worries you. But I'm telling you: almost no one in Scandinavia cares and even in other European countries no one knows of any Scandinavian universities anyway. For a BA degree there is only Handels which carries a bit more weight, escpecially around Stockholm.

Again, I can't stress enough how relatively unimportant the school on your degree really is here compared to say the US. Hope that helps.

Is there a reason why you seem to be restricting your options to universities in Europe?  There are many good schools in the US and some good schools in Canada.

Beyond getting a basic degree, what are your objectives for the next four years?  Here are a few possible examples:

-I would like to obtain as much cross-cultural experience as possible, therefore I seek a school in a multicultural society

-At the end of four years, I would like to speak English perfectly and drop whatever latent Israeli accent that I might have

-During my degree I would like to meet a woman to marry (this is what many of us do as universities are full of single women!!!)...and I place a low/medium/high importance on my potential wife (or husband) being some variety of Jewish

-I would possibly consider emigrating from Israel to the US/Canada/Europe for my career and then go back and retire in Israel

-I don't care (or I do care) about being able to spend every little holiday with my family, and I don't care if I ever get back home for an afternoon of football followed by Sunday supper

I am a big proponent of studying in the US or Canada as young foreigners complete their degree and might have the opportunity to immigrate.  At worst, they'll speak English with a perfect North American accent....

SJ

Whatever will lead to you taking on the least amount of debt possible.

In this particular case this might a good advice assuming the universities like alwaysinvert said are not that different in quality.

In general though, this cannot be applied indiscriminately. A much better - and much more expensive - university can open a lot of opportunities that cheaper and worse universities don't. The quality and depth of education might be much better. I've been in universities that were significantly different in quality, my wife was too and in these particular cases the better ones were worth way more than they charged extra.

BTW, I disagree with ScottHall too. For a lot of people "no university" just means way worse quality of life for the rest of their life.

Choose wisely. :)

Whatever will lead to you taking on the least amount of debt possible.

In this particular case this might a good advice assuming the universities like alwaysinvert said are not that different in quality.

In general though, this cannot be applied indiscriminately. A much better - and much more expensive - university can open a lot of opportunities that cheaper and worse universities don't. The quality and depth of education might be much better. I've been in universities that were significantly different in quality, my wife was too and in these particular cases the better ones were worth way more than they charged extra.

BTW, I disagree with ScottHall too. For a lot of people "no university" just means way worse quality of life for the rest of their life.

Choose wisely. :)

I guess if they're losers, it does. Not everyone can hang with someone of my caliber! ;)