October Letter - Trapeze Asset Management

Eric50

Guest kawikaho

I posted about Trapeze awhile back in a post titled something like, "Mean reversion".  I've been following these guys for quite some time.  I almost invested with them in 2007-08, but I figured after 10 years of solid out performance, there was bound to be some mean reversion.  Also, I wanted to stay in cash to avoid the housing bubble blow up.  Boy, did they ever mean revert.  They went from something like 33% CAGR for 10 years to 8-9% CAGR.  That's extremely humbling. 

I need to find an asset manager that:

1) recognizes and identifies asset bubbles

2) is able to look at macro before doing bottom up analysis

3) has some solid risk management (like cut your losses EARLY)

"I need to find an asset manager that:

1) recognizes and identifies asset bubbles

2) is able to look at macro before doing bottom up analysis

3) has some solid risk management (like cut your losses EARLY)"

GMO- Jeremy Grantham is the best I have ever seen...Fairfax is right there as well.

Dazel.

Guest kawikaho

kawikaho, I do not say this to be cruel, but you may have a better chance finding the tooth fairy or santa claus (I have young kids)  ;D

Haha. 

Hi Dazel, yes, FFH is very solid.  I am waiting for (actually, hoping is more like it) a pullback before jumping back in.  I'm not much of a trader, but there is one rule I live by: sell any stock that has put in a huge move after less than a month.  And, I wish I could get in on GMO or the Quantum Fund, but I do not meet the accredited investor requirements.  I need over a million in liquidity, and I'm not there yet.