Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford

JEast

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

Genghis Khan ruled the largest contiguous empire in history from the Ukraine to Korea, but is mostly know for plunder and pillage – factually true.  However, I learned many unknown stories in the present zeitgeist that his empire actually had many libertarian ideas for the time during his rule.  Such concepts of universal religious freedom in the empire as some (many) of the women were actually Christian.  The list goes on such as protection of free trade, the abolishment of the mostly feudal system prior to the conquered lands, among others.

All in, a very educational book that helped correct a few of my skewed western educated ideas.  A high complement for any book.

Possibly OT.

In the past, there have been places and times, countries and cultures that had some mix of progressive egalitarian, religious, democratic, trade/economy libertarian parts. And then usually counter-reforms came that squashed the good things into the ground.

I wonder if we are living in one of these temporary times or if we have passed a point of no return and the counter-reforms have no chance. Let's hope it's the latter.