Berkshire to Buy Burlington Northern for 34B

Uccmal

Calling Buffett greedy in the interview and now insinuating that he'd act in any way that he thought wasn't solely in the best interest of his shareholders is very low.  I don't know much about Schroeder; she must be awful desperate for money to go negative like this. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikenhe, it's good to hear that your grandmother was successfully

treated apparantly in UK.  Sadly, I have personal knowledge of death

from kidney failure of a neighbor who was refused dialysis

after he returned home to England after his retirement in the US.  

Please see my complete account of this in the healthcare

thread in the General discussion section, and let's continue further discussion there.

Oldye, I thought Alice's interview was great.  It's easy to focus

on the sound bite when she says Warren is greedy.  However

she wasn't antagonistic when she said this.  She was searching

for the right word and chose to call aspade a spade and

not a garden tool.

Oldye, I thought Alice's interview was great.  It's easy to focus

on the sound bite when she says Warren is greedy.  However

she wasn't antagonistic when she said this.  She was searching

for the right word and chose to call aspade a spade and

not a garden tool.

twa ... apparently which interview of Alice's are you referring to?

I never knew their relationship soured. Must be awkward.

I personally would never hand over the job of writing my life story to someone else. He should have done it himself.

A couple of other aspects of the Burlington purchase...

1)  Buffett can now say "sorry, can't afford it" when some worthy cause comes calling.  The GS and GE preferreds encourage copycats.  He may not want to backstop CIT, for instance.  Or might want to do it as new-venture - but that did not work out well with municipal debt guarantees, did it? After the initial relief, mostly anger at Berkshire charging enough to make it worthwhile.

2)  Making BRK.B available in $55-90 range will help divert charge of elitism.  Risk reduction.

Finally, I'm seeing this move as partly capitulation.  That's ok.  Berkshire is not bigger than the economy; it is a slice.  And transportation is a biggie.  With auto manufacturer, now railroad, and already an airline ...not too bad.

My projection re stock price ... near term selldown to $55-ish perhaps, but $90-ish within 12 months.  Or maybe takes longer.  Still, 5 years out, BRK.B should get significant multiple, and somehow indexes that claim to represent economy will have to find a way to include it, BRK.As or not.  Good for funding the charitable foundation.

The Schroeder interview merely continues to follow the instructions Warren gave her when he gave her the book assignment : tell it like it is; don't paint a flattering portrait.  Nevertheless, acquisitive would have been a better word than greedy IMHO.  The interview provides a key insight into what makes Warren run and helps explain paradoxical transformations in his life e.g. his idolizing his father who was a founding

member of the John Birch Society yet now having a circle of friends, many of whom are antithetical to those views.  Schroeder's key insight also opened my eyes

into how a shoplifting teenager became transformed into someone who has been perhaps the best steward ever of other people's money.

I don't think that was an interview ... the bloomberg link. It was just an article that she wrote.

She has done numerous interviews where she mentions her 'strained' relationship with Warren.

Nonetheless, nowhere in the article did she mention Warren was greedy ... she just said there were other motives. The other motives related to succession planning, US dollar, trade deficit, his legacy etc ...

[edit: okay found it now, I get where you're coming from. Thanks.]