Concentrated Investing - Allen Benello

TorontoRaptorsFan

Strategies of the World's Greatest Concentrated Value Investors

http://www.amazon.com/Concentrated-Investing-Strategies-Greatest-Investors/dp/1119012023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461766777&sr=8-1&keywords=concentrated+investing

Chapters are broken up focusing on specific investors including: Lou Simpson, Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, Kristian Siem, Grinnell College, and Glenn Greenberg.

Is there something new in it, assuming i have read ~30-40 books on value investing?

Since I'm on the internet and I don't know the answer, I will give a robust answer anyway ;)

In scanning through it, i learned who originated the term financial cannibal and that Munger used it. There is an investor I don't know, Kristian Siem. And most intriguing one of the most ardent proponents of mechanical investing Tobias Carlyle is an author.  I'm going to buy it.

That opinion is worth what you paid for it. (if you are will to send money, it's more valuable.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm reading this book right now and I think the chapter on Keynes alone is worth the price of admission. It's fascinating (at least for me) and casts Keynes in a whole new light for me. (A side topic worthy of it's own thread would be how Keynes' work has been mangled and bastardized beyond all recognition).

But the big take away was that Keynes, today's poster-boy for macro top-down central planning of the economy, figured out for himself that market timing doesn't work; that macro considerations provided nothing useful in terms of overall investment returns, and that what really worked was a concentrated portfolio of value stocks.

It was really quite eye opening and I look forward to the rest of the book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...