Berkshire Hathaway 2016 Meeting - Live Stream / Saturday

tooskinneejs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest longinvestor

With streaming, recording video/audio etc. goes with the territory. Something not allowed @ the meeting to date! 

Sorry but Coke answers from Warren and Charlie are again totally biased. You'd think they'd be rational. Warren is skirting the issue again by going anecdotal and joking. And Charlie... come on "benefit"? Loading fizzy water with tons of carbs is not benefit. Comparing that to deaths in air travel is stupid (sic. I'm free to use the word he used).

Sorry but Coke answers from Warren and Charlie are again totally biased. You'd think they'd be rational. Warren is skirting the issue again by going anecdotal and joking. And Charlie... come on "benefit"? Loading fizzy water with tons of carbs is not benefit. Comparing that to deaths in air travel is stupid (sic. I'm free to use the word he used).

I agree it was such BS. I don't think there will ever be clear answers from them regarding this topic.

I think Charlie's was a great answer, perfectly summarizing why they're okay with KO. Everything in life has a trade off and it really is about risks vs benefit, in this case that benefit being the pleasure derived. Why is the air travel comparison stupid?

Nothing wrong in indulging. The problems (obesity, diabetes, CV disease) are largely related to overindulging.

I agree that Warren's gave a bad answer.

Guest Schwab711

Why don't folks cite the decline in housewives as a direct cause of increased consumption of processed foods? I could make a similar argument that the shift of populations to the suburbs is another cause of obesity (less walking, longer commutes cause you to be "busier", ect). I think this topic generally covers a more important and broad issue. I don't think every societal issue requires a "fix". I think most would agree that higher rates of working women benefited the country enormously (certainly the net effect was very positive). However, there were still some negative consequences to both of the societal shifts I mentioned. My issue is why is McDonalds and Coca-Cola always singled-out for the rise of obesity? Obviously Coke isn't great for you but these are not the only two companies (or factors) that contributed. I think the fact that people are "busier" is probably the single greatest contributor to obesity (greater % of non-moving jobs is another cause in my opinion). KO probably gets blamed unproportionally relative to their contribution to the problem. I'm guessing he skirts the issue because he truly doesn't believe they are at fault.

No one blames Purdue Pharma for the opium issue or Budweiser for the alcohol problem in America. Society generally blames the individual that choose to use drugs. Why doesn't the same logic apply to obesity? You may be right that KO/sugar consumption is the true trigger but I generally don't like when folks attempt to regulate how others live, so it's likely I am biased as well. However, I believe the incidents of obesity is already declining, but that fact doesn't get the same level of coverage (very similar to the incorrect perception of 50%+ divorce rates). I think sentiment regarding KO/sugar will eventually turn as the rates of obesity declines despite KO continuing to grow.

Yahoo's production is much better than I expected. I'm pumped that Buffett decided to broadcast the event. Does anyone know if there are more people at the meeting this year or not?

I think Charlie's was a great answer, perfectly summarizing why they're okay with KO. Everything in life has a trade off and it really is about risks vs benefit, in this case that benefit being the pleasure derived. Why is the air travel comparison stupid?

Air travel provides benefits that would be impossible without it. Business benefits as well as efficiency benefits. This is very different from "pleasure derived" benefits. You are pretty much saying that Coke is like cigarettes and drugs. OK, I'm fine with that, but Buffett explicitly said he won't invest in cigarettes and the questioner even mentioned it directly.

Second, air travel was not engineered to add to fatalities just to increase "pleasure derived". Coke pretty much did the same thing as the cigarette companies by pumping extra crap into drinks to make them more attractive and addictive.

Third, I could argue that Coke could try to find the way to maintain or increase the "pleasure derived" while increasing health benefits. And perhaps they do it somewhat now that the pressure is on. That might have been a good direction to take this question to.

So, yes air travel comparison is stupid since it's completely different. Its defense here is completely Munger-hero-worship bias. If someone else rather than Munger did it, people would say "apples to oranges" and other non-complimentary things.