Keynes.

doughishere

Anyone have some recommendations on books of or by him?

Any thoughs on Keynes in general....i dont really want to waste my time if its not importatnt.  Buffet seems to love his works and was thinking about reading some ...it's either that or grab a book on the Pinyin.

Anyone have some recommendations on books of or by him?

Any thoughs on Keynes in general....i dont really want to waste my time if its not importatnt.  Buffet seems to love his works and was thinking about reading some on....its either that or grab a book on the Pinyin.

I'd recommend "Keynes, The Man" by Murray N. Rothbard, you can find it on Amazon, but if you have an ereader or want to read it electronically it is available for free in PDF and ePub.

For the definitive biography it's Skidelsky's triology. If you want something lighter and more related to investing "Keynes and the Market" was a fast and decent read. The middle road of things I have read related to Keynes would be Lords of Finance, which isn't specifically about Keynes, though he plays a significant part. I might add that I thought that book was fascinating for other reasons as well.

On Keynes in general - I think the man was a genius. I think he is one of the more brilliant and versatile thinkers I have come across and not afraid to stick his neck out regarding practical problems happening in real time.

For the definitive biography it's Skidelsky's triology. If you want something lighter and more related to investing "Keynes and the Market" was a fast and decent read. The middle road of things I have read related to Keynes would be Lords of Finance, which isn't specifically about Keynes, though he plays a significant part. I might add that I thought that book was fascinating for other reasons as well.

On Keynes in general - I think the man was a genius. I think he is one of the more brilliant and versatile thinkers I have come across and not afraid to stick his neck out regarding practical problems happening in real time.

+1 on both the books about Keynes and the comments on the man himself.  i would also suggest after some of the above books dipping into his Essays in Persuasion.

• 2 weeks later...
What we believed to be the limits of possibility have been so enormously exceeded and those who founded their expectations on the past have been so often wrong, that the man in the street is now prepared to believe anything which is told him with some show of authority, and the larger the figure the more readily he swallows it.

Keynes nailed it way back in 1919....P. 10 Essays in Persuasion

+1 on both the books about Keynes and the comments on the man himself.  i would also suggest after some of the above books dipping into his Essays in Persuasion.

Even at first 100 pages in and you can already see his influence on Buffett

Thanks for the recommendation......I feel like persuasion was just....wow....like discovering fire. Probably puppy love at the moment but.

Lords of Finance...was fascinating for other reasons? how so?

Edit: Im a little disappointed in buffetts analogies now......he borrows heavily on that.

Keynes nails it....

"The incomes of the well-to-do people have been cut by 2.5-3.5%. The school teachers are cut 15%, 1 in additional taxes which they have to pay. The school-teachers are cut 15%, 1 in addition to the extra taxes which they have to pay. It is monstrous thing to single out this case and discriminate against them, merely because they happen to be employees of the Governement. It is particularly outrageous, because efforts have been made in recent years to attract into the profession teachers of higher qualifications by holding out to them certain expectations."

As 50cent says, "Different faces, Different names, different?....it's just the same."

• 6 months later...

Here's a detailed, and in my opinion, very good study of Keynes' investing during The Great Depression and the following years as an active, fundamentally oriented investor.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/7FA43AC8FA829B915B2006248D5D12A6/S0007680516000362a.pdf/keynes-and-wall-street.pdf

doughishere: I missed your question about Lords of Finance back in May. I made a thread in the books section about the book which I think serves as a decent intro.

What are you reading?  Essays In Persuasion or the General Theory?

Personally, was not a fan of the lords of finance.  Didn't make it through. I might take another run at it.

Picked up Keynes' Ways to Wealth the other day at the used book store.  Previously read Keynes and the Market.  I enjoyed maybe the first half but after that it seemed like the author was just trying to fill allotted space.  Could have been a great "little book."

What are you reading?  Essays In Persuasion or the General Theory?

Personally, was not a fan of the lords of finance.  Didn't make it through. I might take another run at it.

Picked up Keynes' Ways to Wealth the other day at the used book store.  Previously read Keynes and the Market.  I enjoyed maybe the first half but after that it seemed like the author was just trying to fill space to make a novel.  Could have been a great "little book."

That was just an article from the July version of the Business History Journal. It was much more detailed than Keynes and the Market in terms of data from his actual transactions/allocations/process and putting that in perspective by comparing it both to the standards of today, and the little that is known about investors from that period. I found Keynes and the Market a more philosophical piece where perhaps the underlying objective was to show how Keynes influenced today's value investors, in particular Buffett. To be fair, a worthwile contribution, as most value investors disregard/underweight Keynes' contributions in my opinion. On the other hand, I agree with you that it could have been shorter - as most books.

Haven't read or even heard about Ways to Wealth before now. Congrats on the find and be sure to let us know what you thought about it.

• 1 month later...

Finished Keynes's Way to Wealth a couple weeks back.  I think overall I preferred it to Keynes and the Market.  It had a foreword from Jack Bogle.  I believe it had a bit more biographical detail about Keynes and less sort of analysis of how Keynes may have influenced later investors (although it did have a section on Keynes's heirs where he quotes Debbie Bosanek as saying that WEB said Keynes had no impact on his investing style, which seems unlikely.  Its an ok easy quick read.  Had a number of sort of callout boxes with his actual portfolios at various times in various entities.  I could have done without a lot of the authors conclusions and sort of edicts.