OT: Hiring people to do the lawn

Hey guys,

My wife and I are expecting soon so I'd like some help around the house with some tasks. If I hire someone to do the lawn (or most other tasks for that matter), should I find someone with worker's compensation or would home insurance usually cover their injuries? I've always been "do it yourselfer" so I'm a little raw on this. Thanks!

Hey guys,

My wife and I are expecting soon so I'd like some help around the house with some tasks. If I hire someone to do the lawn (or most other tasks for that matter), should I find someone with worker's compensation or would home insurance usually cover their injuries? I've always been "do it yourselfer" so I'm a little raw on this. Thanks!

Congratulations!  You'll definitely need help because you won't be sleeping much.  :)

I would recommend you make sure they have their own insurance.  My gardener and handyman both have their own insurance.  Cheers!

Paul, whaddareya expecting? 

Landscape with stone and woodchips... Better for the environment... they dont waste water at the peak of summer, dont need cutting.. dont need hauling away.... and saves money... blah, blah, blah.

Congrats...er,  soon. 

Al

Congrats, stanleyp!

Get as much sleep as you can.. I'm 2 kids in and time and sleep for a premium.  I have two thoughts -- is your house on a steep hill or possibly, accident prone? 

I would get an umbrella policy and get referrals from neighbors. If the mower does mowings in the neighborhood, they get economies of scale and two, don't want to have one customer affect 3-4 with bad customer service or a frivolous law suit.

Here's an alternative I'm living:

Seed the lawn with moss, it's green and never needs to be cut.  If neighbors don't look closely they'll never tell.  This was the arrangement the previously non-diy, non-landscape owner had at our house.  I'm trying to kill the moss, but it does work.  I went all summer without ever mowing the front lawn, quite a feat, and it looks decent.

thanks for the well wishes guys!

Sanj and schin, I talked to several people and none of them had worker's compensation. Some do have insurance. I called my insurance company and they will cover if the person is injured and I'm found liable. so that was good to hear. I'm definetly looking at getting an umbra policy though.

We're not sure what we're having but we're due to find out on April 21st.

This has been such a whirlwind. I was a single dude spending way too much time on investments (thankfully, it was paying off haha) to buying a foreclosed home, moving to a new city, wife and baby on the way (and the associated underpeformance) in about a year and a half.

Nate and Al, not sure about the moss and wood chips. I think the hoa would bust me on those (if they ever found out). I like the idea though!

Alan, he's not 95 years old ;)

If I hire someone to do the lawn (or most other tasks for that matter), should I find someone with worker's compensation or would home insurance usually cover their injuries? I've always been "do it yourselfer" so I'm a little raw on this. Thanks!

Buffett_Groupie said in another thread his son is looking for work.  :P

He even said he wants an internship. He'll mow your lawn for free!

Name him Charlie if it's boy!  :D

Sanj and schin, I talked to several people and none of them had worker's compensation. Some do have insurance. I called my insurance company and they will cover if the person is injured and I'm found liable. so that was good to hear. I'm definetly looking at getting an umbra policy though.

You don't need them to have worker's comp unless they are on your payroll or employed by you...they break a leg and are out for a while, it's just like any other self-employed individual...they should have their own short-term/long-term disability. 

They just need insurance to protect you and them from any liability...your house insurance will protect you.  But say they hurt somebody with a piece of equipment?  They need insurance for that...otherwise your neighbour/victim can come after you.  Cheers!