Chou Opportunity Fund (CHOEX) to return fees

mhdousa

Just saw this on Mutual Fund Observer:

Chou has voluntarily decided to waive its entire advisory fee on the Chou Opportunity Fund (CHOEX) beginning on January 1, 2016. In addition, on February 18, 2016 Chou made a voluntary capital contribution to the Opportunity Fund in the amount of $918,468, which approximates the advisory fees retained by Chou with respect the Opportunity Fund last year. Why, you ask? The advisor describes it as “a gesture of goodwill … in recognition of the fund’s underperformance” in 2015. That’s an oblique reference to having lost 22% in 2015 and another 20% in the first two months of 2016.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2016/03/march-1-2016/

Just saw this on Mutual Fund Observer:

Chou has voluntarily decided to waive its entire advisory fee on the Chou Opportunity Fund (CHOEX) beginning on January 1, 2016. In addition, on February 18, 2016 Chou made a voluntary capital contribution to the Opportunity Fund in the amount of $918,468, which approximates the advisory fees retained by Chou with respect the Opportunity Fund last year. Why, you ask? The advisor describes it as “a gesture of goodwill … in recognition of the fund’s underperformance” in 2015. That’s an oblique reference to having lost 22% in 2015 and another 20% in the first two months of 2016.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2016/03/march-1-2016/

Truly respectable, but 20% in the first two months of 2016!?!?? What the hell do these guys own? I'm hugely focused in emerging markets, European financials, and commodities/oil and my performance hasn't even been that bad...and I'm at the epicenter of basically every crisis occurring right now...

Wow.  I haven't kept up with Mr. Chou's funds, but damn, those losses are now putting his returns well below average.  This past year has been pretty bad for some of the big name value investors.  Really humbling and makes me wonder about my own strategies going forward.

Wow.  I haven't kept up with Mr. Chou's funds, but damn, those losses are now putting his returns well below average.  This past year has been pretty bad for some of the big name value investors.  Really humbling and makes me wonder about my own strategies going forward.

Bad Years for Value investors are good. That's usually a good time time to buy those funds.

Investing is hard. Outperforming is very hard.

I dont think you have met Amazon or Facebook investors. :)

Vinod

OT.

Unfortunately I have. Google, Apple and Netflix investors too. :/

Seriously though - (still off topic) - you look at this and say: OMG, this is so simple; it should be so simple; if only I bought any of FAANG 10+ years ago and held... (no really this is OT and should be moved out if we continue this ;)).

Investing is hard. Outperforming is very hard.

I dont think you have met Amazon or Facebook investors. :)

Vinod

OT.

Unfortunately I have. Google, Apple and Netflix investors too. :/

Seriously though - (still off topic) - you look at this and say: OMG, this is so simple; it should be so simple; if only I bought any of FAANG 10+ years ago and held... (no really this is OT and should be moved out if we continue this ;)).

Google and Apple are the typical buy at fair price and wait for wonderful things to happen type of stocks 10 years ago. Not sure about now.

I've been looking at other asset light high growth stocks but can't find any that justifies the fair price.

I still cannot understand NFLX as of today.