Berkshire Hathaway is planning to webcast its annual meeting (per WSJ)

valuebull

For the first time in its history, Berkshire Hathaway is planning to webcast its annual meeting, people familiar with the matter said.  (Source: Wall Street Journal U.S. print edition dated 1/30/16)

The article goes on to say the webcast likely will cover only the 6 hour Q&A (not the opening movie).

The article also said "Mr. Buffett declined to comment.  It is unclear if a final decision has been made to webcast the event, and the company could change its plans."

I think maybe Warren Buffett wants to use his annual report to officially announce a webcast option. 

I think they've probably decided they have utterly outgrown the capacity of Omaha to host the event.

The attendees go up year after year, and i think they were over 40k last year. They were even suggesting airBnB etc to shareholders.

Now they probably feel they have to do this to perhaps reign in the attendance. Will be interesting to see if it works!

Guest longinvestor

Just occurred to me that the "no audio / video recording" policy will no longer work.

Also"spin" stories on what was said / not said at the meeting will end. For instance, I would love for more people around the world get to see the chart on Index versus Hedge-Fund-of-Funds bet (shown just before lunch). Media coverage seems to be great on all other topics except this one. hmmm....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest longinvestor

It is quite possible that WEB is whittling down the crowd at Omaha to be just the shareholders(the long term ones), like it was early on.

I think Buffett wants more international phone calls from great companies.  ;)

He wants to be in the mind of great business owners if they want to sell and seek a safe home for their business.

In America he is, international there is room for improvement. The webcast could help.

I read somewhere that the webcast will be translated into chinese language.

Was there any recording done by previous meetings but never released? If it is there it could also be released in future.

I wonder if they recorded previous events for security or some other purpose.

Also the 1 hour intro videos. It would be a crime to never release them because they are so hilarious. Maybe Buffett is planning having them released after him and Munger are gone.