GoodHaven - Annual Report - 2015

formthirteen

GoodHaven's performance was -17.49% in 2015. 2015 was a difficult year for value investors who invested in highly-leveraged and commodities-related companies.

In our decades of experience managing money, 2015 was one of the most

difficult years. While it was a very tough year for many well-known “value”

investors, we are chagrined by our performance and understand that the last eighteen

months have caused a loss of goodwill in the eyes of our shareholders after a solid

first three years (and decades of experience at prior firms). In many ways, it was a

“perfect storm” with outlier percentage declines in certain commodities and

extraordinary strength in the U.S. dollar.

http://www.goodhavenfunds.com/media/pdfs/2015_AR.pdf

It's a shame 2015 was such a bad year. They were outperformed by 98% of other funds in their category.

At least 2014 was better..wait, they were outperformed by 99% of other funds in their category.

At least 2013 was better...only 93% of their peers outperformed!

In all fairness, 2012 was pretty good for them.

How did they get so much capital to invest given the past 4 years of poor performance?

I think a few different reasons for that.

- Experience with Fairholme. When you come from a firm that is one of the best in the last decade (at the time they opened the fund), it helps a lot.

- They had a pretty good first year. Top 5% in their first full calendar yer.

- It's not too hard to build assets when you have a mutual fund. The average person can buy in. They had a good amount more in AUM before the last year or two.

I'm restricted from managing my own 401k, and these guys are available.  I'm sure hoping their bets work out, because I should have indexed instead of going with value funds...  Of course, now seems the absolute worst time to switch it to indexing, but I'll probably regret it.