Cheap stocks

Jurgis

Just a list that might be interesting during current market drop, no justification, it's all IMO, based on quick scan of my lists, no microcaps, very few international, etc. Some numbers might be old, do your own DD, caveat emptor. I own some, don't own others.

MU, TESB.BE, GILD, STX, SFTBY, GS, CF, JPM, COP, PSX, DOV, QCOM, LYB, BAC, DFS, AAPL

Less so, but still:

HOG, CP, IBM, WDC, WMT, ETN, WFC, AXP, STRZA, UNP, DSW

I would add AIG to that list. NSC is trading a 52 week lows too.  Why are the railroads trading so cheap? I would figure with all of the oil sloshing around there would be plenty to carry and US economy doing ok but not horribly. Manufacturing has been on the weak side though.

Hey all:

SuperValu (SVU) is potentially VERY cheap.  Not only is it low priced based on earnings...they are going to spin out a subsidiary (Save-A-Lot).  Save-A-Lot is a limited service, deep discount grocery chain.  I believe it is meant to be a competitor to Aldi.  About 6 months there was chatter that this division was easily worth over $1BB, with some estimates being put at $1.7BB.  SVU is now worth $1.2BB.

Sales were off a bit (-2%), and the stock promptly collapsed down to $4.50/share.

Earnings are at $.61/share, giving it a P/E of about 7.5.

If the Save-A-Lot spinoff is handled well, or even just competently, there could be tremendous upside here.

Any thoughts?

Guest Grey512

Some great ideas in this thread.

My added thoughts:

1. Some extra names here, even though they don't screen cheap: Baidu, Alphabet, Tableau, Vipshop, Microsoft and Priceline. Maybe you could throw in Alibaba in there too.

2. On the other hand, from the initial list from Jurgis, I'd short IBM and maybe WMT.

My added thoughts:

1. Some extra names here, even though they don't screen cheap: Baidu, Alphabet, Tableau, Vipshop, Microsoft and Priceline.

Interesting, could you share your thinking on Tableau? And/or relevant links.

I've noticed that it's getting traction at my work. But that's it. They seem to have a similar Product to QLIK.

Cheap for a reason (?) stocks:

FCAU, GM, RR, KLX, LUK, most banks and warrants, DISCA, mortgage servicers, VRX, TERP, BIP

Hmm, my example of cheep for a reason stock would be FOSL

Hence the question mark. Lots of those have stigmas that cause people to pass.

Cheap for a reason (?) stocks:

FCAU, GM, RR, KLX, LUK, most banks and warrants, DISCA, mortgage servicers, VRX, TERP, BIP

Hmm, my example of cheep for a reason stock would be FOSL

Hence the question mark. Lots of those have stigmas that cause people to pass.

ah -- I misunderstood

Here's a basket of commodity-influenced picks ranging from extreme cheap to pretty cheap, I own at least a little of all of them:

CNX CONSOL Energy Coal/Gas         Coattail Einhorn, see presentation

SXC SunCoke Energy Metal          Coattail COBF, see forum topic

INP Input Capital         Canola         Reasonable price, promising business model means strong upside/low risk, well capitalized (Coattail many sources)

MND Mandalay Resources Gold/Silver Value-style + low cost operation, safe, 3x EBITDA near low end of cycle

KRN Karnalyte Resources Potash         EXTREMELY cheap, slightly better than average project, needs large development financing (in discussions + rumored offer on the table)

MCR Macro Enterprises O&G pipes Safe, growing business trading at 50% liquidation value

I have a couple more but this board would be even less interested in them ideas than those in this post. Hope you guys like

Hey all:

SuperValu (SVU) is potentially VERY cheap.  Not only is it low priced based on earnings...they are going to spin out a subsidiary (Save-A-Lot).  Save-A-Lot is a limited service, deep discount grocery chain.  I believe it is meant to be a competitor to Aldi.  About 6 months there was chatter that this division was easily worth over $1BB, with some estimates being put at $1.7BB.  SVU is now worth $1.2BB.

Sales were off a bit (-2%), and the stock promptly collapsed down to $4.50/share.

Earnings are at $.61/share, giving it a P/E of about 7.5.

If the Save-A-Lot spinoff is handled well, or even just competently, there could be tremendous upside here.

Any thoughts?

I have just started to look at this. If ALDI was traded I would love exposure to that as people are forced to go to discount groceries because of rising costs.  Save Alot is the next best way to get exposure to this. I have to do more work on this but wonder if there is something more obvious that Im missing. Grocers have notoriously horrible margins but deep discount grocers are becoming more popular/a necessity with food inflation outpacing wage inflation.