Book Recommendations for 12 yrs old nephew for Xmas

schin

Hi,

My nephew wanted to learn more about investing.  He is only 12 years old and as such, I don't want to overwhelm him at an early age. I want to buy him some books on investing. Any recommendations for good starter books for teens?

I am thinking of both these books for Xmas:

1) The Little Book on Common Sense Investing by Jack Bogle (if he just becomes an indexer, I'm okay with that... Although, I would love for him to catch the Value Investing Bug)

2) Dhando Investor by Pabrai (This is one of my favorites, but not sure if he'll get it. As his first or second book on investing.)

Thanks in advance.

Magic Formula Investing / The Little Book that Still Beats the Market

I just lent my copy to a 13-year-old last month and he couldn't put it down and was able to discuss the concepts afterwards with intelligence.  Great introduction to investing.

It might seem a bit patronizing, but what about Buffett's Secret Millionaire's Club?

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Millionaires-Club-Buffetts-Business/dp/1118494598/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448896329&sr=8-1&keywords=secret+millionaires+club

Or, the follow-up: How to Start Your Very First Business:

http://www.amazon.com/Business-Warren-Buffetts-Secret-Millionaires/dp/1941367119/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SNZ3BRY62QZF49409M8

I'm a 34-year-old PM and I still got something out of them.

Or even Greenblatt's The Little Book that Beats The Market:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Still-Beats-Market/dp/0470624159/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448896417&sr=1-1&keywords=the+little+book+that+beats+the+market

But honestly, I have no idea what this particular 12-year-old's reading habits and level are.

Little Book That Still Beats the Market was a great one. I read the first few chapters to my gf and she got nearly all of it. Some stuff had to go back over, but for the most part he did the perfect job of simplifying the concepts.

Yeah, and as a bonus, the "Little Book" has trailed the market significantly since 2010 or so, so it'll teach the pre-teen patience if nothing else!

I second "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "The Richest man in Babylon". Another great book for young people is "Warren Buffett speaks.."

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Buffett-Speaks-Greatest-Investor/dp/0470152621

Not a demanding business read like "Essays of Warren Buffett" or the "Almanack" but a fantastic collection of quotes from Buffett on many areas of life. It gives an insight to his character and may kindle your nephew's investing spirit.

Poor Charlie's Almanack.

As much as I love this book I can't see a 12-year old enjoying it. Charlie isn't exactly known for his use of simple language.

Haven't read it in a couple years but I think Dhando Investor could be a good option. Isn't most of the book a big analogy to motel owners? Seems like something 12-year olds would understand? Not positive though.

Poor Charlie's Almanack.

As much as I love this book I can't see a 12-year old enjoying it. Charlie isn't exactly known for his use of simple language.

Haven't read it in a couple years but I think Dhando Investor could be a good option. Isn't most of the book a big analogy to motel owners? Seems like something 12-year olds would understand? Not positive though.

I think most 12-years old won't even be able to understand most of the content from Poor Charlie's Almanack.Heck, I had to stop several times throughout the book to digest what Charlie was saying