Strategy game fans?

ScottHall

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of the members of this board enjoy strategy board & computer games. It seems as though the traits required to enjoy investing would overlap with some of the traits required to enjoy strategy games, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm on an 18XX kick right now, which in my view is pretty close to an ideal game series for equity investors. I've been playing a lot of 1830: Railways and Robber Barons in particular, and enjoy it quite a bit. When I was younger I used to be very heavily into the election simulators from 80soft but I've lost interest in these over the past five years or so.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of the members of this board enjoy strategy board & computer games. It seems as though the traits required to enjoy investing would overlap with some of the traits required to enjoy strategy games, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm on an 18XX kick right now, which in my view is pretty close to an ideal game series for equity investors. I've been playing a lot of 1830: Railways and Robber Barons in particular, and enjoy it quite a bit. When I was younger I used to be very heavily into the election simulators from 80soft but I've lost interest in these over the past five years or so.

Ever played the Europa Universalis games?  I really like those

Hi everyone,

Ever played the Europa Universalis games?  I really like those

I haven't, but I've played Crusader Kings II pretty extensively. It's from the same studio; the goal is to expand your family's influence over generations. I imagine I'd like Europa Universalis as well.

The reason I began investing in stock market was that I thought about all the time wasted to win in computer strategy game(s) and said "Screw it. Let's do it in real life. At least if I do it there, I'll have real money to show for it."  8)

And the rest is history.  :P

In short: no time to play, especially not strategy games that eat time like there's no tomorrow. ;)

I play some MMOs (GW2 currently). Markets there are very inefficient. But if you take into account time cost, it's just not worth it. ;)

I'm all about Monopoly although my family refuses to play with me. Settler's of Catan is pretty fun. I like board games try and keep consols out of my place, I know how much time I can spend when I start a new game. It's also fun playing board and card games because you are interacting with real people around you.

Also I have recently been learning bridge and will teach my friends once I understand the concepts.

I grew up playing the Command and Conquer series (Red Alert, Tiberian Sun) and the Diablo series (which involves probabilities of luck with drops/loot %'s).

I am currently playing Fallout 4, which is very satisfying. The combat in the game can be played using the 'VATS' system which includes probabilities of damage based on your position/skills.

I also play a MMO game called 'Guild Wars 2', which features an extensive auction house system, which of course mimics any other electronic exchange. Some in-game items can cost hundreds of real world dollars!

I also play a MMO game called 'Guild Wars 2', which features an extensive auction house system, which of course mimics any other electronic exchange. Some in-game items can cost hundreds of real world dollars!

That's somewhat a fallacy since there's no way to take money out of the game. It's a one way conversion.

And some Eve ships cost thousands of real world dollars... ;)

I'm all about Monopoly although my family refuses to play with me. Settler's of Catan is pretty fun. I like board games try and keep consols out of my place, I know how much time I can spend when I start a new game. It's also fun playing board and card games because you are interacting with real people around you.

Also I have recently been learning bridge and will teach my friends once I understand the concepts.

x 2 for Settlers of Catan...very good board game.  Would also recommend Ticket to Ride.

If you like strategy games related to military history, I'd highly recommend checking out the Slitherine website.  They seem pretty effective at updating and expanding old computer games (i.e. they released Panzer Corp, which is based on the older Panzer General and Allied General Series by the now-defunct SSI, but with more scenarios and more units).  They have also transitioned a number of classic board games into computer or iPad games.   

This game looks pretty awesome. I love the Cold War theme, maybe I'll pick it up. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

The best games are,

1. Saving Grace (what it is all about)

2. Animal Farm (my family)

3. Worldly Wisdom (trying)

4. Investing in the stock market (Getting my ass kicked)

5. Farming 101 (planting seeds that is paid for by 4.)

It takes up all of your time and it is great fun!!

I used to play video games a little when I was a teeenager, but I don't play anymore, too time consuming.

But I am more and more into board game nowadays. My favorite is Carcassonne, Cathane is great also, and Ticket to ride. I recently played Patchwork, was very interesting also. The old Diplomacy is also nice, but time consuming too!

I wish I had the time still for strategy games, I used to love playing the Age of Empires and Command and Conquer series.

I think the last game I played with any regularity was PlanetSide 2 which I really enjoyed. It did a good job bridging the gap between FPS and team based strategy game, you can learn a lot about group dynamics trying to coordinate 100+ people in that game.

As far as board games go I'm surprised no one has mentioned Risk.

I wish I had the time still for strategy games, I used to love playing the Age of Empires and Command and Conquer series.

I think the last game I played with any regularity was PlanetSide 2 which I really enjoyed. It did a good job bridging the gap between FPS and team based strategy game, you can learn a lot about group dynamics trying to coordinate 100+ people in that game.

As far as board games go I'm surprised no one has mentioned Risk.

+1 on Age of Empires series and Risk

I have not heard of some of these others but am also in the boat of not having the time to commit.

This game looks pretty awesome. I love the Cold War theme, maybe I'll pick it up. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

This game is all the other strategy games on crack. It has a decent learning curve that drives most players away. Almost drove me away.... In the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the game it really favors the player that is on the soviets, so the american side is basically playing to survive. in the later half if the soviets dont close it out fast then the americans really gain steam.

Nothing like forcing your opponent to launch nukes there by winning the game...first to launch nukes looses.

there is nothing worse than drawing a sh*t hand that just completely helps your opponent...at this point your just trying to minimize your  downside.

Surprised to see so many familiar games! Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, Ticket to Ride, Risk (this is an all time favorite board game, think at one point we had 3 pieces of these when needed to buy always a new one on trips).. So many awesome memories with those games! Makes me miss the times when used to play on PC Age of Empires and C&C, no idea if you could get those on Macbooks even..