Anyone concerned with Syrian refugees into the US?

muscleman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vzMNG2fZc

Trump mentioned that most of the Syrian refugees coming into the US so far are strong males and he hasn't seen many women or kids.

I wonder if this is an infiltration.  ::)

http://nypost.com/2015/10/11/trump-says-syrian-refugees-could-be-a-trojan-horse-for-isis/

He may be referring to this.....

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/11/13/ironic-timing-today-first-load-of-10000-syrian-refugees-has-arrived-in-new-orleans-all-single-males-18-30-years-old/

There is a great deal of fear in Europe right now, understandable given this horrible tragedy, and several countries have closed their borders to new refugees.....

I don't see why it shouldn't at least be a little concerning. There have been other incidents with refugees. I think most are fine but I don't see why tax payers need to pay to relocate them and take on the risks.

http://www.popsci.com/to-catch-bomb-maker

"FBI agents there had become increasingly nervous that an Iraqi refugee recently resettled in the college town of Bowling Green was actually an operative for Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI)"

The Boston Marathon bombers were also refugees, I believe.

Though, I have seen a that some of the refugees have become economically beneficial, too.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/refugees040915.aspx

I don't see why it shouldn't at least be a little concerning. There have been other incidents with refugees. I think most are fine but I don't see why tax payers need to pay to relocate them and take on the risks.

http://www.popsci.com/to-catch-bomb-maker

"FBI agents there had become increasingly nervous that an Iraqi refugee recently resettled in the college town of Bowling Green was actually an operative for Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI)"

The Boston Marathon bombers were also refugees, I believe.

Though, I have seen a that some of the refugees have become economically beneficial, too.

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/refugees040915.aspx

Yes. These articles make me feel alarmed. If Syrians are having war problems, the best way to help them is to donate as much food and weapon to them as possible so they can protect their own homeland by themselves. Why should France, Russia and US risk the lives of our armies to battle for them while hosting the Syrians in our country?

Most of this is factually incorrect and is just fear mongering to get votes: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretching-facts-on-syrian-refugees/

Pretty much everyone in America is either an immigrant or the decendent of an immigrant. As a result, pretty much everything good and bad in America can be blamed on immigration. Steve Jobs' biological father was a syrian refugee. Immigration in America is an interesting issue; personally I think the #1 factor in America's long-term success has been the ability to attract and assimilate immigrants. The branding of "the land of opportunity" and the "American dream" have been tremendously valuable. Yet, at each point in history people have feared immigrants, whether they were irish, italian, russian, jewish, what-have-you. I'm sure some people move here with ulterior motives, but every immigrant I've met has moved here in search of a better opportunity for themselves and their families. As Buffett would say, we won the "ovarian lottery" by being born in the United States with the opportunities we have.

Morally, if someone's life is threatened in their home country I think we have a responsiblity to try to help them. That's how my family ended up here and I'm thankful for that. If that person's life is endangered as a result (in some percentage between 0% and 100% depending on your views of the specific location) of failed US foreign policy that moral responsibility is amplified.

On a side note, grouping France, Russia and the US in the same bucket here doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My understanding, which could be wrong, is Russia is backing Assad, while the US has backed the Free Syrian Army (against Assad). If we want to "donate" weapons to people, let's think first about where those weapons are going and how/if they can be used to better the situation. There's at least a rational argument that if less weapons were "donated" to the region, the number of refugees would be significantly lower.

I don't fear immigrants. I love them - my wife is one. I do worry at least a little about an increase in terrorist attacks though. After all, there is a bit of a difference in an immigrant who comes to the US to make a better life for his or her family and one that is leaving because of violence.

Mark Steyn? Why not link to a comment from breitbart.com.

I support my country bringing in refugees as I see it as a fundamental duty to help fellow human beings in need. There's no religious belief behind it, just common decency. Do proper background checks, but then do the humane thing. History always favors doing the humane thing.

And if terrorists have turned you into a coward, then they've beaten you already.

Do proper background checks, but then do the humane thing.

And where do we go to get reliable information for a proper background check?  The Syrian government, 1-800-TERROR, or maybe we just call ISIS HR department and ask if they know the single, 25 year-old male who demands to be admitted?  That should cover it for sure, really, what could possibly go wrong?

Most of this is factually incorrect and is just fear mongering to get votes: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretching-facts-on-syrian-refugees/

Pretty much everyone in America is either an immigrant or the decendent of an immigrant. As a result, pretty much everything good and bad in America can be blamed on immigration. Steve Jobs' biological father was a syrian refugee. Immigration in America is an interesting issue; personally I think the #1 factor in America's long-term success has been the ability to attract and assimilate immigrants. The branding of "the land of opportunity" and the "American dream" have been tremendously valuable. Yet, at each point in history people have feared immigrants, whether they were irish, italian, russian, jewish, what-have-you. I'm sure some people move here with ulterior motives, but every immigrant I've met has moved here in search of a better opportunity for themselves and their families. As Buffett would say, we won the "ovarian lottery" by being born in the United States with the opportunities we have.

+1,

It is also the only reason our population is growing rather than declining.  The two things that made America what it is (immigration and capitalism) are the two things that are constantly under attack.  People always seem to want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

A good book to read if you haven't already is "A Renegade History of the United States" by Thaddeus Russell. It basically goes in to great detail about how immigrants and other out-groups (Blacks, Jews, Irish, Italians, prostitutes, bootleggers, gangsters, smugglers, etc...) are responsible in large part for many of the freedoms we enjoy and for making America what it is today.  It is a much underappreciated and ignored part of our history, and it is one that is on going as we speak.

Some of the greatest Americans have been immigrants - e.g; Albert Einstein, Nicola Tesla, Elon Musk, Enrico Fermi, S. Chandrasekhar etc.

Why not prioritize people with advanced degrees and make it easy for them to stay and work in America?

Looks like a couple of states have rejected the Syrian refugees. There are many ways to help refugees - not clear why China, Japan, Russia, Brazil, Mexico and India are not taking these people. May be the US government should put some pressure on them?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/16/governors-of-michigan-alabama-reject-resettlement-of-syrian-refugees-in-their-states/

Not only am I not worried but I want them to come. If they want to come I want to make room for them. I would go so far as to host them in my home for the first few months while they figure things out.

One of the most common targets of nationalistic fear mongers is to position themselves against the "others" or "outsiders" and down through the history of our country that has meant immigrants which is such a strange thing when you consider that most of us are only a few generations removed from being immigrants.

Side note but I had a fascinating conversation with a Hispanic family who were born in the US but who's family arrived within the last 50 years and seeing how much they looked down on and distanced themselves from "wetbacks" as they called them (those who crossed the rio Grande). the actively despised people who were entering the US from Mexico in the last few years.

I believe that one of the most important first steps in dealing with the illegal immigration problem in this country is to open the legal borders to this country where those people who want to come to this country can do so legally and don't have to come fearfully and end up despising the country that they live in because that country won't accept them and they are always living in fear of the authorities. I want more people to come to this country legally.

“Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

This is a large part of what makes this country great.

Morally, if someone's life is threatened in their home country I think we have a responsiblity to try to help them. That's how my family ended up here and I'm thankful for that. If that person's life is endangered as a result (in some percentage between 0% and 100% depending on your views of the specific location) of failed US foreign policy that moral responsibility is amplified.

On a side note, grouping France, Russia and the US in the same bucket here doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My understanding, which could be wrong, is Russia is backing Assad, while the US has backed the Free Syrian Army (against Assad). If we want to "donate" weapons to people, let's think first about where those weapons are going and how/if they can be used to better the situation. There's at least a rational argument that if less weapons were "donated" to the region, the number of refugees would be significantly lower.

+1 to you, SmallCap, Palantir, etc.

Peace.

I don't have an issue with legal immigration. Plenty of people come through this way, myself included. Recently, 20 members of my extended family immigrated to the US.

As for illegal (undocumented) immigration..., I don't know where I stand on that. I know plenty of illegal immigrants/families and they are fine, hardworking people.  But I would want some kind of limit/control.

I agree with you guys; I favor more means of legal immigration

“Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

This is a large part of what makes this country great.

+1

I don't have an issue with legal immigration. Plenty of people come through this way, myself included. Recently, 20 members of my extended family immigrated to the US.

As for illegal (undocumented) immigration..., I don't know where I stand on that. I know plenty of illegal immigrants/families and they are fine, hardworking people.  But I would want some kind of limit/control.

I agree with you guys; I favor more means of legal immigration

My only problem with illegal immigration is that it is illegal, there should be no such thing.  The people who leave their entire lives behind and come here for a better life despite the various governments trying to stop them are heroes and just the sort of anti-authoritarian/get-it-done folks we need more of.

EDIT:  Come to think about it, maybe the laws do serve a purpose, it screens for the type of people able to get here despite them.