tax loss - regular acount / IRA

Homestead31

quick question - if i have a loss in a taxable account, can i sell the shares and immediately buy them in an IRA account and still get the tax loss?  i know you have to wait 30 days to re-buy in a taxable account, but given the tax free nature of the IRA account i'm not sure if this is a way around the 30 day waiting period?

thanks

quick question - if i have a loss in a taxable account, can i sell the shares and immediately buy them in an IRA account and still get the tax loss?  i know you have to wait 30 days to re-buy in a taxable account, but given the tax free nature of the IRA account i'm not sure if this is a way around the 30 day waiting period?

thanks

No. The same 30-day rule applies to IRA too.

thanks

No. The same 30-day rule applies to IRA too.

Yea. The wash-sale rule is in reference to your ownership of the asset. It doesn't matter which account you own it in. You need to wait a month to repurchase to take the tax loss.