John Malone The Full D7 Session

RedDaruma

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious if there is an opinion about the relative value of owning the A or C class of shares in Disovery?  Thank you.

When the ratio gets close to 1:1, switch to A. When it goes to ~1:1.05, go to C. Rinse, repeat. It used to roundtrip more often, now less.

It would be nice to have an alert for this (and other Liberty multiclass shares). Anyone has ideas where/how?

A very bizarre thing has happened with FWONA and FWONK. The k which has the lower voting rights has traded below the a since almost the beginning of the year. It's the reverse with DISCA/K right now. Is it perhaps that in a merger the Ks were given as a currency and then there were selling shareholders and just more holders of K vs A? Would the same thing happen after DISCK/A merger ?

A very bizarre thing has happened with FWONA and FWONK. The k which has the lower voting rights has traded below the a since almost the beginning of the year. It's the reverse with DISCA/K right now. Is it perhaps that in a merger the Ks were given as a currency and then there were selling shareholders and just more holders of K vs A? Would the same thing happen after DISCK/A merger ?

Probably a liquidity discount. LILA and LILAK inverted for long periods too.

Yesterday FWONK traded 1.44m shares and FWONA traded 188k shares.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-14/john-malone-the-cable-cowboy-isn-t-ready-to-hang-up-his-spurs

The 77-year-old billionaire, who helped build the pay-TV industry and now sees it threatened by cord cutting, remains on the boards of eight public companies and has no plans to leave them. He’s still the largest shareholder of Charter, the No. 2 U.S. cable company. Two of his deputies are still directors at Lions Gate, an independent studio. And when he calls, executives still listen. Nothing is really changing, he says.

• 2 months later...

John Malone profiled in Barron's this weekend. Nothing mind blowing if you follow him closely, but a fun read.

Nice, thanks.

"We're not out there competing to by RedHat for $35 billion, but we've always been an opportunistic company."  ;D

Do Malone & Rometty have a history?

---

This old interview of Malone by David Faber on CNBC has already been linked here by Liberty but, IMO, it merits revisiting,

(starting at minute 06:00 they talk about the Time Warner deal (this discussion is pre-approval.)

Malone says this is one of the few diversification deals that ATT has done which makes sense, and then he explains why.

I'm not pumping ATT, just saying that I trust this guy to know what he's doing.

(I might, however, be pumping Charter and Disney ;)  and Comcast to a smaller extent.)

It's a fascinating discussion & gets quite deep & wide regarding the entire space.

At minute 21:00 he talks about MVNO agreements.

He says that a deeper / closer relationship with Verizon is important, but that doesn't mean owning or being owned by Verizon.

He doesn't really explain what that "closer" relationship would entail?

Really great to hear Malone just chat for almost an hour with a decent interviewer (Faber).  I even got a text from my Mother, in her 70's, who is on an island somewhere in Greece at the moment, that she was watching John Malone live on CNBC.

Really great to hear Malone just chat for almost an hour with a decent interviewer (Faber).  I even got a text from my Mother, in her 70's, who is on an island somewhere in Greece at the moment, that she was watching John Malone live on CNBC.

Nice. He did a nice shoutout to his wife near the end. 60 years of mariage. "She's number one to me."

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to find the cnbc Malone interview nov 2020 full length? It was on cnbc pro for like 24 hours after for free and then went paid. I wish I knew that as only saw a few minutes into it )

I'm in the same boat. I'm not going to pay for CNBC Pro either.

• 2 months later...