Jim Simons: A Rare Interview

dcollon

Really interesting guy, but there is zero I can learn about investing from him...

Step 1: Be a math genius

...well I'm out.

A big part of investing is understanding how the world works and all the companies and players in it. Charlie Munger talks about this a lot with his mental models. It's important to spend time learning about a wide variety of people and businesses that may not have a direct impact on investment returns. Those things can help you understand one more small piece of the world which is ultimately a positive. And learning about extremely successful people can never hurt.

• 1 year later...

Maybe I'm biased because I'm currently reading When Genius Failed, but I wonder how much leverage RenTech is putting on...

The article said 4-5 times for equity group. I believe LTCM's leverage was in 20s.

Thats 4-5 times for the capital, but the capital is invested in derivatives that have their own leverage, right?

Maybe I'm biased because I'm currently reading When Genius Failed, but I wonder how much leverage RenTech is putting on...

The article said 4-5 times for equity group. I believe LTCM's leverage was in 20s.

Thats 4-5 times for the capital, but the capital is invested in derivatives that have their own leverage, right?

Like a derivative Inception?

Like a derivative Inception?

Lol - like using margin to purchase options. Leverage on Leverage.