Look Through Investment Portfolio Calculator

TREVNI

For those curious what their portion of Berkshire's investment portfolio looks like on a "look through" basis, I've created a spreadsheet to do just that.  Enter the number of BRKB shares you own and it will calculate how many shares of Wells Fargo, Coke, etc. that you own through your investment Berkshire.  It also uses trailing 12 month data to give an estimate of look thru earnings.  Data is from Berkshire's 13f filing for 6/30/15, and MSN Money (data connection through Excel).

Side note: Highlighted in yellow are the top 10 positions.  Interesting to note the concentration despite a 46-issue portfolio.

http://www.meadcm.com/memos

Guest longinvestor

That's a lot of work, Trevni. Appreciate your effort.

Wonder which of the 46-positions they were buying during the recent market weakness. Buffett disclosed buying more IBM this morning. Or even better, what other shares-for-assets swaps will they be doing in the 46?

Look-through earnings swapped for look-at earnings, ha!

That's a lot of work, Trevni. Appreciate your effort.

Wonder which of the 46-positions they were buying during the recent market weakness. Buffett disclosed buying more IBM this morning. Or even better, what other shares-for-assets swaps will they be doing in the 46?

Look-through earnings swapped for look-at earnings, ha!

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, admittedly it is not perfect.  Just like using change in book value as a rough proxy for change in intrinsic value, using reported earnings vs. calculating owner earnings for each company is a crude measure. It just helps make more tangible the fact that we're owners of those companies.  Yes it's several steps removed (BRK Shareholder > Berkshire > Investee), but it's real nonetheless.

I may start doing this exercise every quarter and see what sort of trends emerge. 

Man this is cool. Is the file locked? I can't seem to do anything with it on my blackberry.

Thanks, glad you find it useful.  I'm not sure why it's not working for you, the file isn't locked.  I'm including the file directly to this post.  Please let me know if you continue to have problems. 

Berkshire_Hathaway_Look_Through_Portfolio_June_2015.xlsx

• 2 weeks later...

For those curious what their portion of Berkshire's investment portfolio looks like on a "look through" basis, I've created a spreadsheet to do just that.  Enter the number of BRKB shares you own and it will calculate how many shares of Wells Fargo, Coke, etc. that you own through your investment Berkshire.  It also uses trailing 12 month data to give an estimate of look thru earnings.  Data is from Berkshire's 13f filing for 6/30/15, and MSN Money (data connection through Excel).

Side note: Highlighted in yellow are the top 10 positions.  Interesting to note the concentration despite a 46-issue portfolio.

http://www.meadcm.com/memos

For some reason it doesn't load for me :/