Trump and the american politics sideshow

yadayada

Wasn't Dracula Lithuanian?

Considering you only have 15,000 active soldiers, how many hours would it take Russia to take over the country, again?

It seems that in 2015 Lithuania adopted the Euro. Like, this year.  Are you guys high?

What are the capital gains tax on investment and trading?

After reading The Wisdom of Psychopaths I'd actually be surprised if a head of state is not a psychopath.

Trolling much?

Not so much since they took the bridge down.

It's far more interesting to learn about Lithuania than to hear again about nonsense american politics.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Dracula Lithuanian?

No,  but Hannibal Lecter was.

Considering you only have 15,000 active soldiers, how many hours would it take Russia to take over the country, again?

Depends on NATO response or lack of such.

It seems that in 2015 Lithuania adopted the Euro. Like, this year.  Are you guys high?

Yeah, come over and have whatever we are having.

What are the capital gains tax on investment and trading?

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Lithuania/Taxes-and-Costs

Not sure if this is correct.

Not so much since they took the bridge down.

I have couple for sale if you're interested.

Jurgis,

Is there general confidence that NATO will actually came to assist if there's an invasion by Russia? From here it seems doubtful.

Wow capital gains tax of flat 15% as income tax. That's quite good.. too bad it's so cold over there.

"Lecter's pathology is explored in greater detail in Hannibal and Hannibal Rising, which explain that he was traumatized as a child in Lithuania in 1944 when he witnessed the murder and cannibalism of his beloved toddler sister, Mischa, by a group of deserting Lithuanian Hilfswillige, one of whom claimed that Lecter unwittingly ate his sister as well."

Seriously.

(thanks for playing)

Is there general confidence that NATO will actually came to assist if there's an invasion by Russia? From here it seems doubtful.

There are doubts. Why would NATO risk nuclear conflict for Lithuania?

But if they don't, then NATO becomes meaningless. And it would be an invite of further Putin expansionism. Where would it stop?

Will we have a replay of pre-WWII scenario?

Wow capital gains tax of flat 15% as income tax. That's quite good.. too bad it's so cold over there.

It's not that cold. The climate is like US Massachusetts mostly. More rainy though and bigger day/night seasonal swings (long nights in winter).

But you have swamps, zombies, cannibals and Russians. But then I repeat myself.

But if they don't, then NATO becomes meaningless. And it would be an invite of further Putin expansionism. Where would it stop?

It's not that cold. The climate is like US Massachusetts mostly. More rainy though and bigger day/night seasonal swings (long nights in winter).

To me NATO became meaningless after Crime. It may not be a NATO state but Europe the US (and Russia lol) promised Ukraine their sovereignty would be defended if they'd get rid of their nukes. Europe and the US sat on their hands and will do the same in the case of Lithuania. They are doing what France and the UK did when Germany annexed Poland and the west of Czechoslovakia in the run up to WW2.

To me NATO became meaningless after Crime. It may not be a NATO state but Europe the US (and Russia lol) promised Ukraine their sovereignty would be defended if they'd get rid of their nukes. Europe and the US sat on their hands and will do the same in the case of Lithuania. They are doing what France and the UK did when Germany annexed Poland and the west of Czechoslovakia in the run up to WW2.

+1

This is also why I don't believe Iran or any country which has nukes or is developing them will ever give them up or stop developing them. They will all feel that you cant trust the promises of Europe/US/Russia and the only guarantee of safety/sovereignty  is for a country to have its own Nukes.

Lots of armchair quarterbacking in this thread.

If you don't like the system get involved and change it for the positive.

What would you suggest? Voting? Yeah, hundreds of millions of people already do that every four years and this is the outcome.  Run for president myself?  Sorry, but I don't have the time or money to attempt such a thing. And besides I'm not a megalomaniac sociopath that wants power and control over how a few hundred million people run their lives.  You can manage your own life, just leave me alone.

rkbabang's post reminded me one of my all time favorite quotes.

"It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power." - David Brin

"It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power." - David Brin

I like that quote, but when it comes to the nature vs. nurture debate, I think it is a little of both.

I like that quote, but when it comes to the nature vs. nurture debate, I think it is a little of both.

Indeed. Everyone is corruptable (and even corrupt to some degree).

We need somebody like Trump in the political process.

People are fed up with milqetoast, groomed politicians.

Look at Hillary!  She wasn't taking any questions from reporters for a couple of months!  Why should she?  She is almost certainly going to get the Democrat nomination....so why risk it?  She is playing "not to lose".  People are fed up with it.

Most of the republicans are just standard politicians.  They won't say anything to alienate any potential voter.  The end result is that they are just talking but not saying anything.

Trump will at least shake things up.  Lots of people may not agree with what he says, but they respect/admire him for saying it.

There is a HUGE problem with illegal immigration in this country.  Most politicians don't want to do anything about it because they don't want to alienate any potential voter block...so the problem goes on.

Another problem with American politics is money.  Strangely, Trump is less susceptible to this problem than Hillary.  Look at the amount of foreign money she has been getting.  Look at the scandals/disgraces at her & Bill's charity.  All the people who donated money to her are going to want a payback.

If Trump is willing to largely self fund his campaign, he won't be tied down to donors...

As many problems as Trump has, Hillary might have even more...

We need somebody like Trump in the political process.

People are fed up with milqetoast, groomed politicians.

Look at Hillary!  She wasn't taking any questions from reporters for a couple of months!  Why should she?  She is almost certainly going to get the Democrat nomination....so why risk it?  She is playing "not to lose".  People are fed up with it.

Most of the republicans are just standard politicians.  They won't say anything to alienate any potential voter.  The end result is that they are just talking but not saying anything.

Trump will at least shake things up.  Lots of people may not agree with what he says, but they respect/admire him for saying it.

There is a HUGE problem with illegal immigration in this country.  Most politicians don't want to do anything about it because they don't want to alienate any potential voter block...so the problem goes on.

Another problem with American politics is money.  Strangely, Trump is less susceptible to this problem than Hillary.  Look at the amount of foreign money she has been getting.  Look at the scandals/disgraces at her & Bill's charity.  All the people who donated money to her are going to want a payback.

If Trump is willing to largely self fund his campaign, he won't be tied down to donors...

As many problems as Trump has, Hillary might have even more...

Actually what is needed is a Charlie Munger for President. Munger is not just outspoken he is usually right because there is a lot of thought behind what he says.

If you don't like the system get involved and change it for the positive.

What would you suggest? Voting? Yeah, hundreds of millions of people already do that every four years and this is the outcome.  Run for president myself?  Sorry, but I don't have the time or money to attempt such a thing. And besides I'm not a megalomaniac sociopath that wants power and control over how a few hundred million people run their lives.  You can manage your own life, just leave me alone.

Do you think Abraham Lincoln is a megalomaniac sociopath?

No one is asking you to run for President. You can start at mayor...then work your way up the ladder  ;)

If you don't like the system get involved and change it for the positive.U

Do you think Abraham Lincoln is a megalomaniac sociopath?

No one is asking you to run for President. You can start at mayor...then work your way up the ladder  ;)

Lincoln was one of the worse yes.

My response to running for mayor or even town selectman, is the same as my response for running for president word for word.

Personally I'm waiting for the Trump-Palin ticket.

I'm waiting for Snoop Dogg to run.  Maybe Snoop Dogg / Ice-T ticket, that might even get me to register to vote.

But Sarah can see Russia from her house and this could play an important part in Donald's Foreign Policy - which I don't believe he has mentioned yet other than the expulsion of all them furreners....

Sorry for the inane remarks, but they seem appropriate to the situation. Unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Hey all:

Mr. Trump is EXTREMELY competent compared to some of the candidates running for higher office.

I bet he would have a secure server!  I would also wager he knows that you don't wipe one down with a cloth...

I find Mrs. Clinton attitude extremely arrogant.  Maybe she is absolutely right though...laws apply to us plebes not somebody like her.  That is certainly what it looks like.

• 2 months later...

Imagine a Republican ticket of Rubio-Fiorina. That could easily topple Hilary Clinton's run at President.

Would that Fiorina be the Fiorina who destroyed not one, but two blue chip companies with her incompetence?

How does she even have supporters, especially on a board like this one?

Very few people have destroyed more shareholder value than her in the history of civilization I would think.

I think the US political system is actually pretty good. Its strange to me to see how much people criticize it.

As an American, I am embarrassed by our political system.  And I am greatly dismayed over the debate that is occurring over minimum wage.  There should be no debate.  Economic elites want low income people to live in cardbox boxes forever though.  They (the economic elites) need more money after all.

I think there should be a debate. I can think of many arguments against any minimum wage.

In schools, we teach our kids that we are a democracy.  I wish we taught the various forms of government and told the kids to decide what we are.  HINT: We are not a democracy.  We are a country controlled by economic elites and interest groups.

America is not a democracy and it never ever was supposed to be. The Founding Fathers thought democracy was a horrible system and they were right. The fact that economic elites have disproportionate impact on the political system is in my view an extremely good thing and also exactly the way the system was designed to function.

I never understand why people are interested in populist democracy.

Theoretically democracy doesn't work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow%27s_impossibility_theorem.

In the most ideal settings (voters are very interesting in issues, spend enormous time debating) it doesn't work

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/08/showbiz-tonight-flashpoint-is-american-idol%E2%80%99s-voting-system-flawed/

Historically it has never worked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy#Criticism_of_the_democracy

And presently its a disaster ex. India, Venezuela, Argentina.

The hilarious thing to me about all of this is that the whole reason democracy even has a good name today is because of the success of the United States. You shouldn't be criticizing the US for not being democratic enough. You aught to be criticizing democracy for not being US-like enough.