Yahoo Finance portfolios just became useless.

rkbabang

I've been using Yahoo Finance Portfolios feature to track my portfolio for a long time, I've got every trade I've made since August of 2000 in there and now today I get a popup which says:

As of July 22, 2015, Yahoo Finance will no longer support the transactional data feature in your portfolios.

What does this mean?

You will no longer be able to record dates when you made individual purchases or sales of a stock, bond, or other holding in your portfolio after July 22, 06:00 PM PDT. You will be still able to view your transactions.

The overall positions in your portfolios will not be affected and will continue to be supported. You will be able to manage your holding as in a regular portfolio.

Transactional history was feature which allowed you to input and store every trade within your Yahoo Portfolio.

What can I do now?

If you would like to save your past portfolio transactions, please use copy&paste to save your transaction history in any spreadsheet.

I guess I need to find some other way to easily track my portfolio.  Many of the other free online options don't do foreign stocks, pinksheets, or options.  Yahoo worked rather well until today, it even did bitcoin.

Yahoo is losing another user.  The finance message board has long been a joke.  I almost left when they stopped supporting their screener, which was pretty decent.  When I started investing in Japan, I discovered I couldn't log in my transactions, so I use MSN for that country.  I don't care for MSN's format and features.  And now this.  I guess it's time to consolidate everything and switch over to Google Finance.

Does google finance still not support options? 

Has anyone tried any of the software packages? Such as: http://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/

Most of the other online portfolio sites I can find work like Mint where it accesses your accounts directly and downloads info.  These usually don't show you or report cost basis info.  And they don't continuously update the quotes in real time during the day like yahoo does.

Guest Schwab711

Does google finance still not support options? 

Has anyone tried any of the software packages? Such as: http://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/

Most of the other online portfolio sites I can find work like Mint where it accesses your accounts directly and downloads info.  These usually don't show you or report cost basis info.  And they don't continuously update the quotes in real time during the day like yahoo does.

You could track everything in excel and use the SMF add-in to pull prices for nearly any asset. A little vba and you can automate the storage of your data overtime to an access db. They definitely have stocks (one formula specifically pulls anything yahoo quotes), options , and bonds.

You could track everything in excel and use the SMF add-in to pull prices for nearly any asset. A little vba and you can automate the storage of your data overtime to an access db. They definitely have stocks (one formula specifically pulls anything yahoo quotes), options , and bonds.

I use Excel and SMF add-in. For mainstream stocks it works fine most of the time. The farther from mainstream you go (OTC, international, etc.), the less likely it will work. I don't do options, so I don't know if it handles options.

Also SMF provides access to multiple data sources: Yahoo, MSN, Google, but you have to hand code which one to use. If you want reliability (sources may be down), you have to code it yourself. Even if you just want good data, you have to make decisions which source to use: one might cover more stocks, one might have better data, one might be up more.

In short: this is workable, but messy.

Also, spreadsheet paradigm issue: if something changes in sources or add-in itself, you have to redo all formulas in all spreadsheets. Might be easy if you have a single sheet, but if you have 400+ spreadsheets like I do... oh well. Some of mine are not updated for years now...

-------

Back to the general topic. I understand that Yahoo is messed up as a company and therefore Yahoo Finance is messed up. I don't quite understand why Google, MSN, etc. would not replicate Yahoo finance and its features. Not enough demand?? Isn't financial pages advertiser honeypot? You'd think Yahoo Finance (and similarly Google/MSN finance) would be one of the top properties on the web...

Back to the general topic. I understand that Yahoo is messed up as a company and therefore Yahoo Finance is messed up. I don't quite understand why Google, MSN, etc. would not replicate Yahoo finance and its features. Not enough demand?? Isn't financial pages advertiser honeypot? You'd think Yahoo Finance (and similarly Google/MSN finance) would be one of the top properties on the web...

It's bizarre. I've been wondering myself for years why Google Finance didn't just zoom past Yahoo! like it did everything else.

It's bizarre. I've been wondering myself for years why Google Finance didn't just zoom past Yahoo! like it did everything else.

I always wondered the same thing.  Now I'm wondering why Yahoo would remove the one feature that differentiated it from all of its competitors and made it useful.  Bizarre indeed.  I don't get it.

I always wondered the same thing.  Now I'm wondering why Yahoo would remove the one feature that differentiated it from all of its competitors and made it useful.  Bizarre indeed.  I don't get it.

Why would a company try to upset their remaining customers? Don't think it will save them money.

???

+1

great, good reason to dump yahoo altogether

i used a combination of yahoo finance, msn and excel in the past to keep track of my portfolio

started using google sheets in combination with the googlefinance function and google xpath and importdata queries

works fine so far, cloud based, fast, reliable, accurate, flexible

Google Finance has potential because it's actually fast and I like the interface, but there's been no new features added to it in years and years. It seems to be almost abandonware at this point, and some data is wrong or missing. With a little love, it could be quite something (they'd have a huge chunk of the free market if they just added 10-year data...).

Google calc (their spreadsheet system available through https://drive.google.com) has some interesting functions for importing financial information.

For example, consider the following cells:

A1: TSE:CSU

B1: CAD

C1: =googlefinance(concatenate("CURRENCY:USD", B1))

D1: =googlefinance(A4,"marketcap")/C1/1000

In this sheet, C1 is the current USD/CAD exchange rate and D1 the market cap of CSU converted into dollars.

Moreover, there are ways of scraping values out of html from yahoo finance, e.g. the GE Jan 2016 25.000 call (GE160115C00025000) can be extracted as follows:

=index ( importhtml("http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GE160115C00025000","table",0),3,2)

(See discussion https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/google-finance/kdYtqATse-8/8-j-5EH0FroJ )

So you probably could build a pretty sophisticated system inside google calc...

Best,

jimjam

I've been using Yahoo Finance Portfolios feature to track my portfolio for a long time, I've got every trade I've made since August of 2000 in there and now today I get a popup which says:

As of July 22, 2015, Yahoo Finance will no longer support the transactional data feature in your portfolios.

What does this mean?

You will no longer be able to record dates when you made individual purchases or sales of a stock, bond, or other holding in your portfolio after July 22, 06:00 PM PDT. You will be still able to view your transactions.

The overall positions in your portfolios will not be affected and will continue to be supported. You will be able to manage your holding as in a regular portfolio.

Transactional history was feature which allowed you to input and store every trade within your Yahoo Portfolio.

What can I do now?

If you would like to save your past portfolio transactions, please use copy&paste to save your transaction history in any spreadsheet.

I guess I need to find some other way to easily track my portfolio.  Many of the other free online options don't do foreign stocks, pinksheets, or options.  Yahoo worked rather well until today, it even did bitcoin.

I use Google Sheets with calls to import stock prices.  I have to manually input any dividend data.  Splits and spin offs are also potential problems. 

• 1 year later...

I finally deleted my Yahoo account for good.  After this revelation (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/04/yahoo-secret-email-program-nsa-fbi) I'm done with Yahoo forever.  Talk about a once useful website that just went down the tubes completely.

You won't find how to delete your account in settings.  You have to first turn off "Account Key" if you have it enabled. (Instructions)

Then while signed in to yahoo go to this link:  http://edit.yahoo.com/config/delete_user