Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To President Barack Obama

Parsad

What an amazing accomplishment considering Obama took office less than two weeks before the February 1st deadline for nominations.  To earn this valuable prize, he did in two weeks what others worked an entire lifetime to "earn"!  

Guest Broxburnboy

Weird particularly in light of his about face on Middle East wars... he wants more!

But hey.. Milton Friedman won the Nobel Prize for Economics many years ago, for his theoretical justification of "supply side " economics... the fruits of which the US is just now harvesting.

Makes you question the judgement of the Nobel committees

Guess who's the favorite to take out the Nobel prize (if that's the right term) for Economics?

Eugene Fama ... father of the Efficient Market Theory.

It will be a farce if he won. Given what has happened not only throughout the history of financial markets, but through the most recent GFC.

The Prize award decision makers are Swedish yes, no??

Given that they're swedish ... maybe that had something to do with Obama winning.

What an amazing accomplishment considering Obama took office less than two weeks before the February 1st deadline for nominations.  To earn this valuable prize, he did in two weeks what others worked an entire lifetime to "earn"!  

Seems like a triumph of rhetoric over (in)action.  ???  I suspect Obama should thank W for the prize.  ;D 

Gee what an honor; puts him in the same camp as other notable winners like Yasir Arafat :)

But seriously, this is purely a politically motivated award and has very little to do with what he has accomplished.

To me it seems it has more to do with what they would like to encourage him to do.

It's like getting a Nobel Prize for "Attempted Chemistry".

I'm sure Bill Clinton is just pissed as hell today!  This guy won in one year, what Clinton has sought for so many.  I'm sure Bono is about to make a call asking for money.  

My brother and I were talking the other day about Bono.  We believe if Bono from the 80's (that made the Joshua Tree) were able to travel time to the future and meet Bono from today, he would kick his ass and tell him what a sell-out he's become.  Even more so, why is U2 allowed to shelter their money offshore, but ask international governments for theirs for humanitarian aid?  At least Oprah gives away millions and millions while asking for other people's money.  Anyway, that was my rant on Bono.   ;D  Cheers!

Whoever keeps the rednecks stirred up I'll vote for.

Greg Mortenson deserves it more though.  He has made it possible for me to fight the war on terror with my checkbook (payable to Central Asia Institute).  Those of you who have read Three Cups of Tea probably know what I mean, otherwise maybe not.

Whoever keeps the rednecks stirred up I'll vote for.

Hee hee... That's good... This is very bizarre.  As much as I like Obama he has done nothing to indicate to me that he is not going to authorize blowing North Korea off the map. 

BTW, I just put in a noble prize app of my own for physics.  I have almost finished coming up the with the Unifying theory of everything.  Just a few more days me thinks.  That 1.5 Million should come in handy for a new greaseboard for my equations. 

There was a time when winning a Noble Peace Prize was a reward for a lifetime of dedication and work for the betterment of humanity. Now its been reduced to a political prize awarded on the basis of ideology. Its significance is insignficant.

I agree, but let's not completely disregard the significance of Obama's selection.  The sheer magnitude of how the world views the U.S. between this administration and the previous administration is like night and day.  While a hammer fist works some of the time, I believe goodwill usually leads to greater long-term alliances.  Cheers!

on second thought ... Obama DID do something ... he managed to get Bush out of power (or at least the USA out of the conservative's power), even when the odds were against him ...

and bush/mccain would have caused more wars ...

I think the committee were looking at it from that angle ... i guess those speeches helped ... especially the one at Berlin.  :D

on second thought ... Obama DID do something ... he managed to get Bush out of power (or at least the USA out of the conservative's power), even when the odds were against him ...

and bush/mccain would have caused more wars ...

I think the committee were looking at it from that angle ... i guess those speeches helped ... especially the one at Berlin.  :D

Yes, Bush started these insane wars, O-bomb-a (aka Mr. Peace) just escalated them.

"War is Peace"

--Nobel Committee, 2009

--Eric

This is hilarious.  Anyone who has read Black Swan knows Taleb's opinion, that the nobel prize is a joke and should be considered an insult if won.

Taleb's generalizing.  I'm pretty sure Woodrow Wilson deserved one for creating the precursor to the United Nations, as did Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa.  If anyone's visited Poland lately, Lech Walesa probably deserved one as well.  Cheers!  

Guest misterstockwell

This news made me ill. What a joke.

I hope they tax the crap out of his $1.4 million prize--oh wait, he'll personally make sure of that!