Standardizing new topics in "investment ideas"

Arden

I'd like to propose that ,just like the title of any topic to the "Investment ideas" includes the company's name and ticker,

the first post should include some minimal information about the company.

The current situation is that often the first post in a new topic is along the lines of "X just posted a q3 report",

other times the first post is something like "Has anyone else studied this company?".

Sometimes only after following the discussion for a few pages you realize the author intended the topic to be a short idea.

In my opinion, the first post should include in the very least why this company is worth discussing, what field it operates in and maybe some numbers.

This one change would cost the author a few minutes, but it would save the board many hours and make the discussion more accessible to those of us who haven't heard of the idea before.

Completely agree. Doesn't take much effort to write a paragraph or two summary of the investment thesis. Starting a thread about a company and basically asking other people to do the work for you rubs me the wrong way.

Can we also impose some board standards on the "tl;dr" responses of some posters? If you come onto the thread and say that the thread was too long so you didn't read through it and ask for a summary, how do you expect to read through a 10-K? Or years of 10-Ks? Read the damn threads, people.

Completely agree. Doesn't take much effort to write a paragraph or two summary of the investment thesis. Starting a thread about a company and basically asking other people to do the work for you rubs me the wrong way.

Can we also impose some board standards on the "tl;dr" responses of some posters? If you come onto the thread and say that the thread was too long so you didn't read through it and ask for a summary, how do you expect to read through a 10-K? Or years of 10-Ks? Read the damn threads, people.

+1

Read?  Who reads anymore?  I'm just here for the jokes and to clone.  As long as a guru likes it, or the thread is 500 pages long I'll buy...

It's starting to get insane when people ask questions that are literally answered two posts above. Or repeating links/news which have been linked AND discussed on the same page. That's not only weak and lazy, that's pretty fucking dumb. Does people not know how old style forums work in the Twitter and Reddit age? It's not rocket science.

It's starting to get insane when people ask questions that are literally answered two posts above. Or repeating links/news which have been linked AND discussed on the same page. That's not only weak and lazy, that's pretty fucking dumb. Does people not know how old style forums work in the Twitter and Reddit age? It's not rocket science.

Here's how I look at it.

How many people read and post on this forum? Probably hundreds of regulars, and many hundred more occasional posters, and then thousands of lurkers, right?

Let's say that 99% of people are super diligent and double-check everything. You'll still have a few handful of people at any time asking questions that are answered 2 posts above or that have missed something.

Heck, even if 100% of people are super diligent, even diligent people make mistakes or have bad days.

I think it's fine to want to improve things, and we should all strive to do better, but it's not worth becoming angry and calling people names. This is impossible to avoid with scale. 1% of people being annoying in a 35-people community and 1% in a 1000-people community might not feel the same because our brains can't keep track of large number of people and we always measure against whatever our limit is (many say about 150) so it seems like a larger percentage, but it isn't.

I see double posted questions and links from time to time. I can see why it could be annoying, but why not just ignore it? That's what I do. It takes a microsecond to scroll past a repeat question/link. And imo it doesn't happen that often.

Same with starting topics expecting to have others do the work. Just ignore them and move on.

Ignoring is much easier and a lot less stressful than getting worked up and trying to change behavior. Especially since a vast majority of the posts on this forum are unlike the type we don't like.