Name one product/service that you love and one that you hate

LongHaul

Name one product/service that you love and one that you hate for Peter Lynch style field research.

Everyone on this board is a consumer and often what one loves is often taking market share.

Love:  Google HP Chromebook (quick, simple, cheap)

Hate:  United Continental (for gauging on prices)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love: Costco

Hate: Any Google Chromebook - Useless piece of crap that cant even do what a $20 prepaid smartphone phone can.

(Sorry for contradicting the above but couldn't help it as I was just telling my daughter a few mins ago precicely that the prepaid smartphone she uses as an MP3 player can do the same and more than the google chromebooks her school is using)

Love: Dropbox, Apple, Porter Airlines, Arcteryx (less so now, as quality seems to go down lately)

Hate: Bell, will never be their customer again, no matter what the offer may be. Air Canada, will actively try to avoid if I can.

Should be interesting to follow this thread. I have the feeling this is not the last telco to show up here...

I love the engine purr and pedal feel of my '03 Honda Civic. If I drive a rental car I feel like I'm cheating on her.

I hate LinkedIn and to a lesser extent Facebook. I don't want to engage with people that way but I feel like it's socially required. I'd rather go to the dentist.

Love: craft beer, Homeaway (as an owner of a vacation rental property, VRBO is a phenomenal tool). VRBO is one of the few products I've come across where if they raised prices 100%, I'd just grin and bear it. That being said, I'm also testing AirBNB.

Hate: Comcast, any near regulated monopoly that treats their customers like shit; most professional service firms

I wonder if this will descend into flame war at some point. Perhaps the thread charter should be: no comments on the previous love/hates.  8)

Love: Netflix(mostly), Amazon(mostly), Google (for self driving cars), Wegmans(mostly), TJ Maxx, Elon Musk(mostly, man crush  :o ), DSW, Trader Joe's(when they don't discontinue products I love), Lindt chocolate, T Mobile (for international roaming, USA coverage is a bit crappy), iRobot Roomba.

Hate: Apple (snobbish attitude, price gauging), Google (for ads and privacy invasion), meat industry, cigarette industry, sodas and soda companies (mostly), professional sports, unreliable Internet providers: Verizon DSL made me swear I'll never use Verizon again.

Love: Luxire is probably my all-around favorite company. They're a clothing company that describes themselves as ebespoke which is accurate--definitely a league above MTM and as close to true bespoke as you can get. Their quality and prices are unbelievable and their motto is they don't say no to anything. If you dream it they will produce it. I buy damn near all my clothes from them now.

Hate: Similar to jschembs I'm saying Time Warner Cable. Almost all my friends and family use them and every single one hates them. Really hope Google can disrupt this industry with Google Fiber.

Love: Blackberry 10 operating sysem and phones

Hate: The love for the overpriced iOS devices when equivalents (Android) can be had for much less.

People will groan so.

Love: Diet Coke

Hate: Cable TV pricing structures (I'm a cord cutter)

Love: Jeep Wrangler (this thing in the USA is a monopolistic design)

Hate: Budweiser and it's competitor clones (good beer is good)

Hate: The US government structure (hint: we are not a democracy)

Hate: The Ultra Wealthy that have an self entitlement complex.

Love: Dropbox, Apple, Porter Airlines, Arcteryx (less so now, as quality seems to go down lately)

Hate: Bell, will never be their customer again, no matter what the offer may be. Air Canada, will actively try to avoid if I can.

Should be interesting to follow this thread. I have the feeling this is not the last telco to show up here...

I hate Bell, hate Rogers, and would probably hate Telus, Comcast, and Verizon.  Own some Bell stock because nearly all Canadians are a customer of Bell, or Rogers, whether they know it or not. 

Hate: Sears Canada although it is getting difficult to hate a non-entity. 

Love: Starbucks & Chapters - I must with the amount of time I spend there. 

Love: Amazon. I pretty much research all my non-grocery store purchases there first before buying...and often buy from Amazon as well.

Hate: This one is tough. Perhaps it's because hatred is only arrived at by repeated disappointment/frustration and I don't get that far because if I get disappointed or frustrated once or twice, I simply avoid.

-Crip

Love: Blackberry 10 operating sysem and phones

Hate: The love for the overpriced iOS devices when equivalents (Android) can be had for much less.

People will groan so.

This post is NSFL (Not Safe for Liberty).

I also think you are being deliberately obtuse/trolling, of course.

That didn't take long...  :'(

I'll repeat my suggestion:

Perhaps the thread charter should be: no comments on the previous love/hates.  8)

Love: Costco, Apple, REI, JetBlue, Amazon, Merrell shoes (their running shoes are incredible)..and of course good craft beer

Hate: Kids toys that break quickly with light use, people blasting music in public places, fad diets, health insurance (high cost & terrible product..obtuse billing nightmares)

That didn't take long...  :'(

I'll repeat my suggestion:

Perhaps the thread charter should be: no comments on the previous love/hates.  8)

I sincerely apologize for my inappropriate commentary.

This thread is great. I'm going to buy Apple, short Apple, buy KRFT (hearing good things about their beer) and short all ISP's. My Peter-Lynch-style research will ensure outsized returns. I'm still looking for a swap provider on the S&P DW-PMI composite index family (decibel-weighted public music inconvenience) as I would like to short the high-volume hiphop tranches.

LOVE:

- Amazon (Specifically, availability of products, fast shipping and Kindle Paperwhite - What they have done with ebooks in general)

- Entrepreneurs, boutique small companies, the "little guy" trying cool things and being innovative with products and services (as opposed to monopolies - see below)

DISLIKE:

- Most Airlines (Specifically, for treating most customers as cattle)

- Most Rental Car Companies (Specifically, for all the hidden fees and nickel and dime tactics each time a car is rented)

- Monopolistic Companies (Specifically, companies who, instead of innovating, try to grab more market share by acquisitions while at the same time cheapening the product or service - BUD, Monsanto, etc.)