Tom Brady sacked (suspended) for four games

So, no love lost for me w/ the Patriots, but this seems a bit harsh considering how Bill Belichick only got a fine and the loss of a draft pick for something that was significantly worse.

Spygate >> Defaltegate

The NFL might be sending a message to the Patriots that repeat dishonest behavior by anyone in your organization will be met with increasing severity of punishment.

Guest Schwab711

I really don't think this is that big of a deal nor is it what I would consider cheating. In HS I had lineman sit on my footballs before games to try to deflate them. It really didn't make that much of a difference. You can get suspended 1 game for a late hit that causes an injury (what I would consider cheating and one of the most dangerous examples) yet Brady gets 4 games!? Should the next severe late hit result in a year-long ban?

I think the NFL is becoming ridiculous and losing control of their product. It's too serious and is penalizing interesting personalities. I honestly believe if the NFL wasn't so popular and sports weren't so en vogue in the mainstream national media this would have never happened. The NFL basically announced they would punish him, let ESPN discuss the situation and come up with a length of time, and then the NFL went with the sports talk consensus to determine the suspension length. It's a big mistake to let a biased fan base decide how to punish your employees, especially since these bans are envious of money, can't understand the lives of athletes (they are normal people even with this money and fame) and have little sympathy for the players.

I think the NFL is becoming ridiculous and losing control of their product. It's too serious and is penalizing interesting personalities.

+1, every year the NFL gets worse. This is precisely what NASCAR did years ago to lose so many fans. They started fining drivers for cussing, fighting, "rough" driving that was completely standard, etc. But that's a big part of the sport and the personalities in the sport. Take away that fun and excitement and a lot of the fans go too.

I think the NFL is becoming ridiculous and losing control of their product. It's too serious and is penalizing interesting personalities.

+1, every year the NFL gets worse. This is precisely what NASCAR did years ago to lose so many fans. They started fining drivers for cussing, fighting, "rough" driving that was completely standard, etc. But that's a big part of the sport and the personalities in the sport. Take away that fun and excitement and a lot of the fans go too.

Ya, that's what *LEFT* turned all *LEFT* the fans *LEFT* away.

Nascar has the same life expectancy that I would expect out of poker, darts or billiards.  Popular for a while but it is just too boring to last.  Interesting to some for a while but only die hards will care long term.

It's an interesting situation.  My feeling is that if the QB involved was average and the team wasn't great this would be no big deal.  I think that the four games is a bit much, but I think there are some politics with Roger Goodell and Bob Kraft known to be friends.  Nonetheless, I agree with most---the product of the NFL is not what it used to be.

If Brady co operated with the investigation I bet the punishment would be much less. Why hide your phone calls, emails or texts. Either your doing something you shouldn't on the field, or your cheating on Giselle.

Not to mention he lied in the media afterwards saying he had no knowledge when the text messages with the equipment personal showed he basically bribed them to change the balls.

In a game where its cold, wet and one teams balls are all inflated to the correct pressure, and an others is noticeably different its purely to gain an advantage. Not to mention the text messages/emails that showed intent to do so and the refusal of the player requesting the alternation to co operate.  Sure sounds like cheating to me.

In a game where its cold, wet and one teams balls are all inflated to the correct pressure, and an others is noticeably different its purely to gain an advantage.

Why the hell do the teams play with a different set of balls?!

because Tom Brady (& Manning) petitioned the league to change the rule so visiting teams can bring their own balls to games.

Why hide your phone calls, emails or texts. Either your doing something you shouldn't on the field, or your cheating on Giselle.

While I can't know his actual reasons, there was a case a few years ago where a league (want to say NFL but can't remember details) looked through a player's texts related to a specific issue and some random employee in the league office leaked a bunch of texts about drugs, partying, girls, etc. So there are legitimate reasons to keep his cell private. Hell, even if he kept it on principle because the league demanding to see his private cell is bullshit I'd respect him for it.

In my opinion. Innocent until proven guilty not the "more probable than not" stuff.

But If individual is found guilty of cheating issue a multi year ban on the player and take away all income/records/rings etc for the year when the cheating was done.

If team is involved take away trophy and multi year ban on team.

Just my opinion.