Mayweather - Pacquiao

matjone

Going to a friend's b'day tonight where the Mayweather v Pacquiao boxing will be on. Made a 100$ donation to "Battered Women Support Services" and "Because I am a Girl" to counteract my monetary support of Mayweather who has 7 charges against him for abusing women.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to a friend's b'day tonight where the Mayweather v Pacquiao boxing will be on. Made a 100$ donation to "Battered Women Support Services" and "Because I am a Girl" to counteract my monetary support of Mayweather who has 7 charges against him for abusing women.

It's good to know there is at least 1 woman on the board.

I was concerned it was 100% guys.

The last thing we need is an echo chamber.

Welcome.

It's good to know there is at least 1 woman on the board.

I was concerned it was 100% guys.

The last thing we need is an echo chamber.

Welcome.

I could be wrong but Lax was talking about a charity called "Because I'm a Girl"

haha, nice one palantir.

I haven't seen many boxing fights but did it strike anyone else as odd as how much Manny was smiling?

He didn't look like he wanted to kick Floyd's ass.

I'm sure someone will say "I would be smiling too if I just made $100 million" and I get that, but I still thought it was odd.

Interviews post-fight:

Mayweather was relatively classy in describing how Pacquiao fought

Pacquiao immediately stated that he thought he won the fight, and when asked what he would do now he said he was going on vacation.

We were laughing our asses off.  100% NOT the way to do an interview Pacquiao.

Pacquiao also looked like a scrub -- Mayweather had his own brand on the hat we was wearing into the ring, whereas Pacquiao was shilling for Geico and Street Fighter.

It was like a class war between those two.

I watched the fight this morning and what I saw was a boxing clinic. Mayweather put on a lesson in boxing and he is simply a better boxer at this stage than Manny. Sure, if they went toe to toe, Manny probably knocks him out with his superior power.

For folks looking for a brawl or knockouts, than UFC is a better choice. Mayweather is one of the greatest defensive boxers ever...hopefully he is wise enough to retire soon, cause once he loses some of his quickness, he could start getting knocked out...kind of like what happened to Roy Jones Jr.

And Jamie Foxx vs The National Anthem was a great preliminary fight. Jeez..lol

I watched the fight with about 30 people at a friend's house and it went about how I expected.  But for many of the people there, who aren't boxing fans and used to "ground and pound" crap, they were upset about what they were watching.

I thought Mayweather put on a clinic in how to beat Pacquiao.  Same issues Pacquiao had in his fights with Marquez (another great defensive boxer), two of which he lost but somehow won on the scorecards.  Manny needed to be aggressive through the whole fight, rather than in spurts or ends of rounds.  He started to look tired by the 7th round or so...you can't keep up that type of frenzy punches and combinations.

I think Floyd was a bit surprised by Manny's speed in the first two rounds and then got his bearings straight and focused on jabs and defensive counterpunches.  He did what he needed to...let Manny go crazy when his guard was up and then quickly duck and get out of the corners and ropes.  I had it 8 rounds to 4 for Mayweather.  You have to give Floyd a ton of credit for remaining so disciplined.  Especially with his crazy father telling him to go after Pacquiao after each round.  Floyd just ignored him and stuck to his disciplined style.

You can see Manny's problems with really good defensive boxers.  I don't think there is any need for a rematch, but with all the money involved, you might see one if they can interest Mayweather.  I think he should just get 49-0 and retire, and then watch people argue over who was the better boxer...Mayweather or Marciano...even though they were two totally different boxers, in different weight classes, with different styles.  It was a good fight for true boxing fans, but not for ones that wanted to see a lot of brutality.  Cheers! 

It's funny how money can blind a dude! Manny was fighting with a tear in his shoulder suffered three weeks ago but still went on with it.  He definitely knew that this was his last big payday before settling down as a politician, good for him.

Ericopoly: I recall Mayweather wanted to me known more as a businessman than a boxer hence the more "polished" look. 

I am no expert on boxing but  the fights I've seen Mayweather in the thing that has annoyed me isn't that he runs, it's that he breaks a lot of the rules as I understand them.  I love defensive boxers as well as offensive fighters, in fact Pernell Whitaker is one of my favorite fighters to watch.  Avoiding getting hit is impressive and fun to watch.  Mayweather is a great defensive boxer, and it's fun to watch him outwit other fighters, but he should be able to do it without holding and hitting, shoving his forearm into people's faces, low blows, and excessive clinching.

I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I am a little conflicted about boxing.  On one hand I love it, but on the other I am a little ashamed that I like it.  If I am being honest a big part of the draw is that I want to see violence, and a lot of guys have been seriously hurt doing it.  If there was a vote to outlaw it I might vote in favor of it.  I'd probably still watch old fights on youtube though.

I haven't seen the fight, but from what I've heard this is a pretty good substitute:

I watched the fight with about 30 people at a friend's house and it went about how I expected.  But for many of the people there, who aren't boxing fans and used to "ground and pound" crap, they were upset about what they were watching.

I thought Mayweather put on a clinic in how to beat Pacquiao.  Same issues Pacquiao had in his fights with Cruz (another great defensive boxer), two of which he lost but somehow won on the scorecards.  Manny needed to be aggressive through the whole fight, rather than in spurts or ends of rounds.  He started to look tired by the 7th round or so...you can't keep up that type of frenzy punches and combinations.

I think Floyd was a bit surprised by Manny's speed in the first two rounds and then got his bearings straight and focused on jabs and defensive counterpunches.  He did what he needed to...let Manny go crazy when his guard was up and then quickly duck and get out of the corners and ropes.  I had it 8 rounds to 4 for Mayweather.  You have to give Floyd a ton of credit for remaining so disciplined.  Especially with his crazy father telling him to go after Pacquiao after each round.  Floyd just ignored him and stuck to his disciplined style.

You can see Manny's problems with really good defensive boxers.  I don't think there is any need for a rematch, but with all the money involved, you might see one if they can interest Mayweather.  I think he should just get 49-0 and retire, and then watch people argue over who was the better boxer...Mayweather or Marciano...even though they were two totally different boxers, in different weight classes, with different styles.  It was a good fight for true boxing fans, but not for ones that wanted to see a lot of brutality.  Cheers!

This is basically my take as well. I will say that I think the Manny of 5 years ago would have won. His speed isn't where it used to be and that's the thing that got him to where he was.

I thought Mayweather put on a clinic in how to beat Pacquiao.  Same issues Pacquiao had in his fights with Cruz (another great defensive boxer), two of which he lost but somehow won on the scorecards.  Manny needed to be aggressive through the whole fight, rather than in spurts or ends of rounds.  He started to look tired by the 7th round or so...you can't keep up that type of frenzy punches and combinations.

This is basically my take as well. I will say that I think the Manny of 5 years ago would have won. His speed isn't where it used to be and that's the thing that got him to where he was.

Yes, I would have loved to see that fight.  Sadly, he was a better fighter when he was gambling, carousing and cursing...kind of like Tiger Woods before his wife caught him!  ;D

Then again, the argument could be made that Mayweather would have also been faster five years ago, as he is 38 now and two years older than Pacquaio.  Cheers!

Do you guys buy Pacquaio's shoulder injury excuse, or is it a reason to push for a rematch?

No, I don't buy it.  He had the same issues fighting Marquez and there were no injuries...somehow he managed to win those fights on the card, but I thought he lost two of them. 

When you are an offensive fighter, you just aren't as disciplined, because you are looking to get inside the defense of the other fighter...thus you are going to get hit and lose points.  But a defensive fighter that is disciplined can beat you on points by simply connecting and then dancing away. 

Manny has to be aggressive, but he wasn't aggressive enough...so he wasn't throwing enough punches and not enough were connecting to counter how many times he was getting hit.  He had the most success in his career when the flurries were coming in quick batches throughout a round...not only at the beginning and end.  Cheers!

Would you guys accept a fight for $100 mil if there was a good chance you were going to suffer permanent brain damage from it?

100% chance? 50% chance? 20%? At what level would it be an acceptable risk?

For me, 0%.

This is just a hypothetical... not criticizing the sport. But I think athletes in aggressive sports are going to have to ask themselves a lot of questions over the next few decades as we keep learning more about the danger of concussions. Football, too.

Scott---I think there are very few athletes who would turn down less sums for that sort of long term damage you speak of.  People generally are short term oriented.  A rare exception is someone like Chris Boland--but for every one guy retiring at 24 there are many more who play as long as possible to make every last dollar.  That being said I would bet you that a guy boxing or playing in the NFL is not thinking about the consequences down the road.  Quite frankly, I think if most of those guys quit they would have few dollars saved and not much education to fall back on. 

Do you guys buy Pacquaio's shoulder injury excuse, or is it a reason to push for a rematch?

No, I don't buy it.  He had the same issues fighting Marquez and there were no injuries...somehow he managed to win those fights on the card, but I thought he lost two of them. 

When you are an offensive fighter, you just aren't as disciplined, because you are looking to get inside the defense of the other fighter...thus you are going to get hit and lose points.  But a defensive fighter that is disciplined can beat you on points by simply connecting and then dancing away. 

Manny has to be aggressive, but he wasn't aggressive enough...so he wasn't throwing enough punches and not enough were connecting to counter how many times he was getting hit.  He had the most success in his career when the flurries were coming in quick batches throughout a round...not only at the beginning and end.  Cheers!

He was injured. MRI confirmation

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/injured-pacquiao-faces-possible-sanctions/ar-BBjbHrY?ocid=SKY2DHP

I don't keep up with boxing, but I am confused why Buffett is friends (or something along those lines since he was in the annual meeting video) with Mayweather. He seems like douchebag.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/04/fans-disgusted-with-money-hungry-floyd-mayweather/

Saw him on stage with Ndamukong Suh on CNBC, another "douchebag" -- though he sounded like a pretty smart guy.