Mayweather - Pacquiao

matjone

I know we have some boxing fans here, who are you picking?

My take is Mayweather is in another class than everyone else and Pacquiao is going to do a lot of swinging and missing and lose by decision.  Of course, as Roger Mayweather says, I don't know shit about boxing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayweather should be too good and outpoint Manny in a competitive fight. Floyd is closer to his prime and would have been a huge task at any point.

Will be interesting to see what gameplan Roach has concocted for Manny. Most success against Floyd has come from pure volume of punches because no one in this generation has had the tools to outscore him punch for punch.

I was looking at the lines on this fight. The line on Pacquiao winning by KO,TKO, or DQ was only 4-1.  I figured more like 20-1 or maybe worse.  Mayweather has hardly ever been hurt.  In fact I  think Mayweather is more likely to catch Pacquiao with something and knock him out.

I thought about betting on this fight, but I've seen too much fishy stuff happen in boxing.

This is a value investing blog.

So who do you think would be a better value investor?

Not Manny:

"Despite earning nearly $200 million during his brilliant career, Pacquiao always hemorrhaged money. Gary Andrew Poole's 2010 biography, "Pacman," laid out how Pacquiao's contracts were split: After his manager's took their 20-percent cut, his trainer Freddie Roach took 10 percent, strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza shaved off a few more points. There were also training camp expenses, tax bills in the U.S. and the Philippines, and his boundless, ever-growing entourage, all guzzling funds. According to a 2009 New York Times article by Greg Bishop, "Team Pacquiao has perfected the art of dysfunction. The entourage consists of trainers, assistants to the trainers, advisers, assistants to the advisers, cooks, dishwashers, car washers, publicists, gofers and security." For each fight, Pacquiao also spent hundreds of thousands of dollars flying his entourage to Las Vegas, buying hundreds of tickets, covering hotel rooms, and providing spending money.

In the Times article, Michael Koncz, singled out Pacquiao's Achilles' heel: "The downfall of Pacquiao, if there is one, will be his kindness and generosity. At some point, I fear that's going to catch up to him." Beyond Pacquiao's generosity, he reportedly squandered millions from gambling. That doesn't even account for his fleet of cars and extensive property holdings, including houses, condos, apartments and such an intense desire to give his money away to the poor he had to hire people simply charged with the responsibility to apologize and prevent him from throwing money at all the open hands spread out before him."

I'd say Mayweather.  Just look at his nickname.  I think Mayweather is a really calculating guy who is all about money.

One theory I have is that it may have been Mayweather's strategy to delay the Pacquiao fight for as long as possible, solely to build anticipation and maximize the purse.  Maybe he figured Pacquiao was the only one he thought might have a chance of beating him, so the max ev move was to extract all the money he could out of the rest of the field, and then go out with a monster payout from one or 2 Pacquiao fights.  If he had fought Pacquiao 5 years ago and lost he'd probably be looking at a much smaller net worth currently because his fights would not have been as lucrative.  Now if he loses he'll probably get a rematch and make another 100 m or more.

Floyd is going to floor Manny, those 2 were never on the same level. When you look at the news even, seems no one has faith in Manny the underlying question seems to be "how do we beat Mayweather" ? If it goes to points though, it's possible the judges might screw Floyd and give it to Manny just for the rematch because they know how much money is/would be on the table for a sequel.

I think that Floyd Mayweather will make Manny Pacquaio look like meatloaf out there.

Pacquiao has nothing to lose because he's already lost so he'll walk away with a good chunk of money whether he wins/loses.  Whereas Mayweather has his legacy and unbeaten streak on the line.

This should be a good fight even though this is 5 years too late and both are probably past their "prime".

Mayweather should be too good and outpoint Manny in a competitive fight. Floyd is closer to his prime and would have been a huge task at any point.

Will be interesting to see what gameplan Roach has concocted for Manny. Most success against Floyd has come from pure volume of punches because no one in this generation has had the tools to outscore him punch for punch.

This. Floyd is just too quick. Going to have to do something against the grain to throw Floyd off, you fight him straight up it's over.

Whoa, calm down there ScottHall.

Two things I like about Pacquiao are that he is aggressive and IMO is a cleaner fighter than Mayweather.  Mayweather does a lot of running and clinching and some other stuff that might be illegal depending on who you ask.  Pacquiao just fights which is what we are coming to see to begin with.  No wonder people are rooting for him.

Pacquiao has nothing to lose because he's already lost so he'll walk away with a good chunk of money whether he wins/loses.  Whereas Mayweather has his legacy and unbeaten streak on the line.

This should be a good fight even though this is 5 years too late and both are probably past their "prime".

I'm not sure I would say Mayweather's legacy is "on the line."  It's not as if he loses he won't have a legacy.    I would argue his legacy would be somewhat dampened.  But that's it. 

I'm in the Mayweather corner but in the world of boxing the only thing that matters is the money.  So I think the fight will go the distance and Mayweather will have clearly won but Pac Man will win on the judges cards for the sole reason that controversy will create demand for a rematch.  This would be the scenario where they can cash in on a rematch.