Myers–Briggs Type Indicator

cloud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

INFP

INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the INFP personality type - but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

This is true, I am a sensitive, emotional snowflake.

Not surprised to see all these INTJs here.  ;D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INFP

INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the INFP personality type - but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

This is true, I am a sensitive, emotional snowflake.

Not surprised to see all these INTJs here.  ;D

So let's talk about this Steve Balmer avatar.... I think you can find something better ;D

ESTP.

The E and the P are so borderline though that's it's really hard to call. I imagine if I took the test again I could just as easily score as an ISTJ.

http://www.16personalities.com/estp-personality

Also challenging is that to ESTPs, it makes more sense to use their own moral compass than someone else's. Rules were made to be broken. This is a sentiment few high school instructors or corporate supervisors are likely to share, and can earn ESTP personalities a certain reputation. But if they minimize the trouble-making, harness their energy, and focus through the boring stuff, ESTPs are a force to be reckoned with.

This is so me though - ever since my early teens I've broken willingly broken rules that made no sense or failed to serve the purpose they intended. A good example would be that I generally treat traffic lights that are red as stop signs late at night (assuming no traffic cameras or other people in the intersection). I also generally have a preference for asking for forgiveness as opposed to permission due so many authoritative figures failing to see things from my point of view.

http://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality

But then again, this also describes me to a T. I'm definitely somewhere in the middle.

ISTJs have sharp, fact-based minds, and prefer autonomy and self-sufficiency to reliance on someone or something. Dependency on others is often seen by ISTJs as a weakness, and their passion for duty, dependability and impeccable personal integrity forbid falling into such a trap.

I would never use the MBTI other than just for personal fun.

If you want to take more useful tests, you should take good ones related with Holland typology, some good personality tests that are more related with job satisfaction and job performance or general cognitive aptitudes tests...but not the MBTI.

If you want to take more useful tests, you should take good ones related with Holland typology, some good personality tests that are more related with job satisfaction and job performance or general cognitive aptitudes tests...but not the MBTI.

The online test is also less rigorous than the "official" test which my wife was administered at her company. She got a significantly different result with that than online.

• 1 month later...
Guest Schwab711

http://www.businessinsider.com/susan-cain-on-why-extroverts-earn-more-2015-5

I guess most people on this board will disagree with above

I just read the intro, so I could be missing something, but on average, all introverts vs all extroverts, the premise is probably correct.

Recipe for being rich:

1. Think a lot

2. Judge people while doing it

3. Tell everyone along the way

4. $$$

I just read the intro, so I could be missing something, but on average, all introverts vs all extroverts, the premise is probably correct.

Recipe for being rich:

1. Think a lot

4. $$$

I have no idea what your post means.

Guest Schwab711

Recipe for being rich:

1. Think a lot

4. $$$

I have no idea what your post means.

Just looking at the commonalities for top paying personalities in the article. Thinking, judging, and extroverted...

Just saw this poll; interesting coincidence that I recently took this test at my workplace, as part of a psychology related training course.

Interestingly, the person who ran the course has worked with some very successful portfolio managers and noticed that most have second letter as N (INTUITION)

I'm an INTJ as well.. too bad this isn't a sufficient condition to being a great investor ;)

Curious if there's a way to find out personality profiles for Buffett and Munger...

• 3 weeks later...

Partner 24 hit the nail on the head.  MBTI is been proven useless. 

Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/myers-briggs-personality-test-meaningless

Some quotes:

About 2 million people take it annually, at the behest of corporate HR departments, colleges, and even government agencies. The company that produces and markets the test makes around $20 million off it each year. 

The only problem? The test is completely meaningless.

But the test was developed in the 1940s based off the totally untested theories of Carl Jung and is now thoroughly disregarded by the psychology community. Even Jung warned that his personality "types" were just rough tendencies he'd observed, rather than strict classifications. Several analyses have shown the test is totally ineffective at predicting people's success in various jobs, and that about half of the people who take it twice get different results each time.

This isn't a test designed to accurately categorize people, but a test designed to make them feel happy after taking it. This is one of the reasons why it's persisted for so many years in the corporate world after being disregarded by psychologists.

But the problem with that idea is that the fact that the test is notoriously inconsistent. Research has found that as much as 50 percent of people arrive at a different result the second time they take a test, even if it's just five weeks later.

It's 2015. Thousands of professional psychologists have evaluated the century-old Myers-Briggs, found it to be inaccurate and arbitrary, and devised better systems for evaluating personality. Let's stop using this outdated test — which has about as much scientific validity as your astrological sign — and move on to something else.

The online test is also less rigorous than the "official" test which my wife was administered at her company. She got a significantly different result with that than online.

I hate pointing out the obvious, but I couldn't help but laugh when everyone on here is an INTJ, which is statistically almost impossible.  Or is the MBTI "meaningless"?  I would love an alternative explanation.

There's a big difference between "flawed", "incomplete", and "sub-optimal" and "meaningless".

I hate pointing out the obvious, but I couldn't help but laugh when everyone on here is an INTJ, which is statistically almost impossible.  Or is the MBTI "meaningless"?  I would love an alternative explanation.

There's a big difference between "flawed", "incomplete", and "sub-optimal" and "meaningless".

Isn't it the same as proponents of the EMT saying that the Investors of Graham&Doddsville are statistically impossible? :)

I'm sure the MBTI has some flaws; any system that puts all humans into 16 boxes makes me suspicious. But I've found time and again that it's a useful mental model (in my professional life, friendships and even love life). So I have to disagree with your choice of words: "proven useless" is much too strong.

I've taken a brief look at NEO PI, which is supposed to be more reliable, but I can't say that I've gotten my heads wrapped around it yet.

I am not sure you understand what "statistically almost impossible" means. Or maybe you are trying to imply something that is not evident from your sentence.

The reality is that the questionnaire groups most of the people who come to this site and took the test into a box it calls INTJ. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Once people try to imply that it's something more, there are possible issues:

- Does the box-called-INTJ-by-this-questionnaire correspond to real INTJ? Possibly yes, possibly not. That's the issue of test correspondence to the ideal test.

- How would the distribution of the test used by people here differ from the distribution based on ideal test?

- Would retaking the same questionnaire put a person in another box? That's the issue of the test self-stability.

- Would taking another questionnaire put a person in another box? This happened to me and some others. That's the issue of test correspondence to other tests that claim to be doing the same.

There are also issues of the theory:

- Do the 16 boxes correspond to some actual (independent?) phenomena or are they a shorthand for somewhat vague, somewhat dependent things that may or may not be classifiable? I believe you provide some evidence that the theory is not very good.

There are also known biases:

- Once person gets a result "box C", they read what "box C" is supposed to be and find a bunch of matches. The bias strengthens the matches and ignores the mismatches. Same as with horoscopes.

But like some users said, there might be some useful things from getting the "I/E N/S T/F J/P" result. It might lead you to introspection, trying to understand why you behave one way in certain situation rather than other way. And you may decide to change some things. (On the negative side one might look at the result, say "I am X" and refuse to change when they actually need to change for their career, happiness, etc.)

Take care

Edit:

Wikipedia is nicely neutral on MBTI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%E2%80%93Briggs_Type_Indicator

It has criticism, but also shows possible usefulness. ;)

It would be statistically quite improbable if this board was a representative sample of the human population. I don't think it is. There's a huge sample bias (self-selection).

That's like going to your local improv club and finding out that it's mostly composed of extroverts. Not really surprising.