Quote of the Day

giofranchi

I would like to start this thread, in which anyone can post interesting thoughts they have happened to read. I think few are the truly memorable sentences in a book. Even a book we have liked very much! If everyone on this board might be willing to share those sentences which have most resonated with her/him, I think all of us cannot but benefit a lot! First by those useful ideas themselves, and second by the reading suggestion that follows as a consequence.

So, here is one to start:

We are not rich because we have a lot of money. We are rich because we have few needs.

--Armando Fuentes Aguirre “El Catón” (The Wise Man)

[amazonsearch]Thrive, Finding Happiness the Blue Zones Way[/amazonsearch] by Dan Buettner.

Gio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants---Isaac Newton.

I like this one because pretty much anyone in this forum owes some of their successes to the experiences/lessons of others.

Heh what I like about this quote is it's really an insult, but nobody knows it. The quote comes from a letter Newton wrote to Robert Hooke, who was very short and hunchback. The two of them had a rivalry and were arguing over who deserved credit for some optics discoveries. Hooke wanted some credit, but Newton was basically saying the credit is due to the work of others (giants), not Hooke (short hunchback). So this "inspirational" quote is really a big "f*ck you".

You don’t stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running.

--the Demon

Jack Kirk – a.k.a. “the Dipsea Demon” – was still running the hellacious Dipsea Trail Race at age ninety-six. The race begins with a 671-step Cliffside climb, which means a man nearly half as old as America was climbing a fifty-story staircase before running into the woods.

--[amazonsearch]Born to Run[/amazonsearch] by Christopher McDougall

He who loves his body more than

Dominion over the empire

Can be given custody of the empire.

--Lao Tsu, Tao Te Ching

Last Saturday I ran 10 km in 50 minutes, and I could have run longer… Who on the board does better than me? ;D ;)

Cheers,

Gio

Last Saturday I ran 10 km in 50 minutes, and I could have run longer… Who on the board does better than me? ;D ;)

Cheers,

Gio

Not me! Running is not a big part of my workouts, I worry about the toll it might take on my legs. I will run a couple of times a week for 5 minutes at the end of my 60 minute workouts. That is mainly so if I really had to run I might be able to!