Pabrai & Spiers At Google

Parsad

Presentation at Google! 

Dynamic Duo...good stuff, but you guys need to be careful of getting too much exposure.  You don't want people to start becoming de-sensitized to the message. 

It's why the Rolling Stones only tour every three-five years!  ;D  Otherwise you become the Grateful Dead and their Deadheads!

Cheers!

Guest notorious546

Presentation at Google! 

Dynamic Duo...good stuff, but you guys need to be careful of getting too much exposure.  You don't want people to start becoming de-sensitized to the message. 

It's why the Rolling Stones only tour every three-five years!  ;D  Otherwise you become the Grateful Dead and their Deadheads!

Cheers!

it is strange how he advertise's his ownership in google!

Parsad, I really like the Grateful Dead never-ending tour comment hahaha

I was actually going to make a similar comment about level of exposure, it seems like they are beyond the point of diminishing return. I don't really understand their motives for making so many appearances which raising some red flags in my mind (rightly or wrongly)

Thanks!

I always feel I am learning when listening to them. Hope they continue sharing their wisdom.

It was really interesting hearing Pabrai talking about how he used an industrial psychologist to learn more about himself and help him get better aligned to how he was living his life.

Wondering if any of you guys have done anything similar?

I was actually going to make a similar comment about level of exposure, it seems like they are beyond the point of diminishing return. I don't really understand their motives for making so many appearances which raising some red flags in my mind (rightly or wrongly)

Nothing nefarious in their motives, so the "red-flags" issue is irrelevant.  They've taken a teaching approach in their presentations...to share the knowledge they've garnered from their experiences...and it just means a lot of exposure to a lot of students.  Cheers!

Nothing nefarious in their motives, so the "red-flags" issue is irrelevant.  They've taken a teaching approach in their presentations...to share the knowledge they've garnered from their experiences...and it just means a lot of exposure to a lot of students.  Cheers!

I have not watched this one yet but have seen many of Mohnish's presentations. It's good that they are spreading the message but I am not sure whether they do a complete job. For example in terms of following 13-Fs, which is a main idea that Mohnish has been recommending for a long time, he needs to do more explanation in terms of the challenges for this approach. He makes it sound like it is piece of cake sometimes but in fact it is more complicated than that. If they choose to have more public attention, unlike some other value investors, that means they have more responsibility in terms of providing the full picture all the time... Also their views/approaches evolve from time to time as well like the level of concentration he had several years a go vs. now. That also is another challenge in terms of the teaching approach I think.

I have not watched this one yet but have seen many of Mohnish's presentations. It's good that they are spreading the message but I am not sure whether they do a complete job. For example in terms of following 13-Fs, which is a main idea that Mohnish has been recommending for a long time, he needs to do more explanation in terms of the challenges for this approach. He makes it sound like it is piece of cake sometimes but in fact it is more complicated than that. If they choose to have more public attention, unlike some other value investors, that means they have more responsibility in terms of providing the full picture all the time... Also their views/approaches evolve from time to time as well like the level of concentration he had several years a go vs. now. That also is another challenge in terms of the teaching approach I think.

I'd say I agree except that this comment doesn't apply to this video much.  They talked about getting into the business and a lot of details around starting a business.

I don't really like Mohnish's talks on his stock picks.  But I think he's brilliant as a businessman.  His evolution as discussed in the video going from running a company to running a fund to buying a company again.  To me he really excels in business, and I think owning the insurance company is going to hit his sweet spot again.

I'm not fully sure,... but Spiers might finally come to the Fairfax events this year in Toronto. I remember him saying something at the DJCO AGM last Wednesday, after the AGM was over and he walked out of the building. Anyway,... I'm not fully positive, so I let myself get surprised, if he shows up in Toronto. Cheers!