Prem watsa investing style. Ben Graham vs John templeton

caprivenky

I remember playing this game with friends in high school where we'd try to assemble the perfect fantasy band by cherry picking members of other bands to be on our dream team.  "I'd take the drummer from Rush and the guitarist from Yes.."

We'd end up with these weird frankenstein combinations that'd never work in real life.  I believe investing is like that as well.  You can't just throw some guru names out there with percentages and classify someone as such.

Prem was influenced by those individuals I'm sure.  But he's also a product of his experiences and those who work around him.  It's these factors that are never mentioned.

I remember playing this game with friends in high school where we'd try to assemble the perfect band by cherry picking members of other banks to be on our dream team.

We'd end up with these weird frankenstein combinations that'd never work in real life.  I believe investing is like that as well.  You can't just throw some guru names out there with percentages and classify someone as such.

Prem was influenced by those individuals I'm sure.  But he's also a product of his experiences and those who work around him.  It's these factors that are never mentioned.

+1!  Remember Buffett was a fan of Phil Fisher as well.  He also tried technical analysis when he was younger.

I think the best way to view any investment manager is as an amalgam of their readings, life experiences and circle of knowledge they've developed over time.  They may be heavily influenced by a handful of people, but they are far more than just that.  Cheers!