Buffett - I Eat Like a Six Year Old

Tim Eriksen

Yeah, it's amazing how badly he eats. It's even more amazing how healthy he is with this diet. I think he's an alien.  8)

"Snowball" mentions some more of his eating habits. Presumably he starves at fancy parties if they don't provide his staples.

A large part of why he's healthy is from living a fairly stress free life compared to the average American.

This, plus reading and thinking this much is very good exercise for the brain.

Doubt he'd be doing as well with the same stress level, but instead sitting on the couch watching game shows.

A large part of why he's healthy is from living a fairly stress free life compared to the average American.

LOL.

Maybe you guys can ask him how can he lead a fairly stress free life while running one of the largest companies in USA and periodically running into near-death corporate situations (Washington Post strike in 70s, SEC investigation in 70s, Salomon Brothers debacle, Gen Re debacle, Net Jets debacle, death of all the "made in America" brands he bought, Lubrizol and Sokol, etc.). I would have killed myself multiple times during his career. "Stress free" my a**  ??? ::) :-X :'( :o

Guest wellmont

one his secrets is he is fanatical about counting calories. the problem most people would have eating the way he does is they wouldn't be as quantitative and obsessive about calories.

LOL.

Maybe you guys can ask him how can he lead a fairly stress free life while running one of the largest companies in USA and periodically running into near-death corporate situations (Washington Post strike in 70s, SEC investigation in 70s, Salomon Brothers debacle, Gen Re debacle, Net Jets debacle, death of all the "made in America" brands he bought, Lubrizol and Sokol, etc.). I would have killed myself multiple times during his career. "Stress free" my a**  ??? ::) :-X :'( :o

Hahaha

So you typify what his 84 years must be like based on a handful of business problems that have occurred over the course of his 60 year career?

Hahaha

So you typify what his 84 years must be like based on a handful of business problems that have occurred over the course of his 60 year career?

Have you held an upper management position in your life? CEO?

If you think that he only encountered "a handful of business problems that have occurred over the course of his 60 year career", you are deluding yourself.

I could make that list quite a lot longer, but what's the point. And even if the list was just "a handful", I want to see a person who would have handled them with little stress.

IMHO you are assuming his cheery TV persona is how he feels every day. I seriously doubt this is the case. But we will never know probably (unless someone really close writes a candid story after he dies)

Just another piece added to the Buffett Mystique.

The article doesn't mention that he works out 3 times a week (something he mentioned in one of his AGM Q&A sessions)

Aw Gee Shucks guys.....

Right, I forgot. He reads 500 pages a day and never suffers from stress. I think I got it now.  ;D

LOL.

+1!  There is nothing stress-free about Buffett's life, except that he gets to do what he loves...so the stress is there, but viewed differently than say someone who absolutely hates their job.  Cheers!

Hahaha

If you think that he only encountered "a handful of business problems that have occurred over the course of his 60 year career", you are deluding yourself.

I could make that list quite a lot longer, but what's the point. And even if the list was just "a handful", I want to see a person who would have handled them with little stress.

IMHO you are assuming his cheery TV persona is how he feels every day. I seriously doubt this is the case. But we will never know probably (unless someone really close writes a candid story after he dies)

Certainly he has stress but I believe what has greatly contributed to his success and a lower stress environment is the vehicle he created in BRK.  Unlike the vast majority of CEO's; he's always had control of the entity and never dealt with Wall Street analysts and the quarterly performance game.  It's even better than running a fund because he doesn't need to worry about redemptions.  It's allowed him to invest the way that works best for him without outside interference. 

LOL.

Just wanted to +1 this. He's responsible for 100k+ jobs and gazillions of dollars. Every word he says is measured on a golden scale. Really, if you think he's living a relaxed, stress-free life: you are utterly, utterly wrong and have probably never been in a position that's even remotely similar to his one.

LOL.

I don’t agree. I think he is smart enough not to take himself nor Berkshire too seriously. He enjoys what he does very much, and would certainly like to do it as long as possible, as well as possible. But imo he won’t yield to pressures he doesn’t like, simply to add some percentage points to Berkshire’s returns. And that’s basically all that stress is about: the need to yield to something we don’t like to do, think, nor feel. In other words I believe he is in a position to say NO to whoever he wants, to whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and still go on doing what he loves practically undisturbed: and that’s my definition of being stress free!

Cheers,

Gio

One thing - he sure seems to be one to never accept conventional wisdom.

I've heard he reads for hours but then also heard on some interview that they had to basically run along with him for a day or two as he move about.  Some book, maybe Snowball also mentioned him playing tennis.

I sure enjoy his sense of humour:

“I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among six-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a six-year-old.” The octogenarian adds, “It’s the safest course I can take.”

Guest longinvestor

LOL.

I don’t agree. I think he is smart enough not to take himself nor Berkshire too seriously. He enjoys what he does very much, and would certainly like to do it as long as possible, as well as possible. But imo he won’t yield to pressures he doesn’t like, simply to add some percentage points to Berkshire’s returns. And that’s basically all that stress is about: the need to yield to something we don’t like to do, think, nor feel. In other words I believe he is in a position to say NO to whoever he wants, to whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and still go on doing what he loves practically undisturbed: and that’s my definition of being stress free!

Cheers,

Gio

+1

The sweetest NO he gets to say are to deals. Deals come to him, with a named price.

LOL.

Yes, but different people handle stress differently.  There are people who can handle an enormous amount of stress and sleep soundly and then there are the people who stress out over every little thing until it kills them.  Stress doesn't kill, handling stress badly kills.

Stress is caused by not being in alignment with reality.  Try controlling reality or people and let me know how that works for you.  Understanding boundaries of responsibilities goes a long way to understanding and accepting what you can and cannot control. 

Stress can be changed and reduce by changing beliefs about reality. 

What other people think about them is a big cause of stress.  Change this belief and it will change your life. 

If you want stress, try being a short seller.  The market continually tells you that you are wrong.  You really need a strong internal scorecard to do that.  That is why I have utmost respect for Watsa and Chanos. 

Buffett is very fact based and thus reality based.  He allows the facts to lead him where he needs to go.  He quickly changes his mind when he makes a mistake.  Most people allow others to determine their behavior, especially authority.  Since 99% of the population has low self esteem this is no surprise.  Numerous experiments in social psychology have confirmed this. 

Below is a very funny video demonstrating this.  They get a random person to "marry a stranger".  Most people erroneously believe they wouldn't fall for this but the data suggests otherwise. 

LOL.

Cheers,

Gio

Hahaha

No, have you?

I said fairly stress free compared to the average American - not completely stress free.

He's a CEO but never had to deal with being sharp elbowed and the politics it takes to get to the top like it does for almost any other organization. He doesn't have to worry about dealing with clients, customers, suppliers, competitors, shareholders, Wall Street, or keeping his job. His weeks aren't filled with countless meetings and travelling.

Unlike most Americans, for most of his life he hasn't had to worry about money or reporting to someone. Unlike most Americans, he has a job that he loves, and doesn't work for the money (doesn't even care to paid a big salary).

I could make the list of stressors longer too. Probably one of the most significant ones in his life was when his wife left him.

I can't comment on his personal life much because I just don't know, but I assume it's fairly average. There is no doubt though that his professional life has been far more stress free than it is for the average person, and the average CEO.

So yes I still stand by my comment.

LOL.

The way he's set up his life, these stressful moments are pretty few and far between, and he seems to take them with great equanimity (he always says more problems will happen, will just have to deal with them, etc). He does exactly what he wants to do each day, as much as possible only associates with people he likes and respects, his schedule is mostly free so he can read and think and do whatever he likes, he lives close to work and has an entirely predictable routine unless he decides to change it (media tour, etc), the fortress balance sheet and operational diversification means he never has to worry about downturns (in fact he likes them because he can buy more stuff).

I'd say he's probably less stressed than the average wage slave working an office job. That doesn't literally means stress free, but it looks like a damn good system he's set up.