Canadian online brokers: BMO, TD, VirtualBrokers

turar

I will need to move a pension account into a "locked in RSP" account (LIRA) with one of the brokers. Unfortunately, IB doesn't offer locked in accounts, so I'm trying to choose between Virtual Brokers, BMO, or TD. I do have a smaller VirtualBrokers account, and they've been mostly OK, just that their trading interface feels a little odd, let alone that there are several. Does anyone have any experience with BMO, TD, or others?

TD is really good and their fees are kinda ok if you have a certain level of assets. My registered stuff is with Questrade. They're cheap and trading is good. However their back office is atrocious. Expect to send any documents about 3 times cause they'll loose it twice. And all the ppl on the phone are idiots. But as I said, once you get past all that they're ok....

rb

I would stay away from RBC. They have no respect for the client. Their general attitude is that it is a privilege for you to do business with them. I didn't use RBC services even when i worked there and they were free. Plus they really screw you on fx.

My wife and I have RRSPs at Scotia Itrade and RBC Direct investing. The only differences I've noticed: convertible debenture commissions are $9.99 at RBC, and more at Scotia ($24.99 iirc). RBC will allow you to hold US dollars in your RRSP, scotia doesn't. (Convert using Norberts gambit, don't pay them to do it). Scotia gives me free level 2 quotes for Canadian stocks.