RIP Don Keough

gfp

Maybe Charlie Rose will rebroadcast some of his interview with Keough.  I remember one hilarious segment.  Keough lived across the street from Buffett in the 1950s.  He said the neighborhood kids reported Buffett stays home all day, whereas Keough left home every morning for work.  They would occasionally chat at the end of their driveways while checking their mailboxes.  He humorously recounts Buffett saying he should give him some of his money to invest.  Keough:  "I turned him down."  Rose:  "Why did you turn him down?"  Keough:  "Why would I want to give money to someone who doesn't work?" 

• 4 weeks later...

Charlie Rose: Remembering Don Keough -  March 19, 2015

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60534467

My advice to a young person, especially a business school student, interested in Allen & Company is to be sure you become an interesting person. You should develop a full range of interests and not worry about a career. Instead, take courses that interest you-- statistics, philosophy and so on. Secondly, any young person who doesn't put the international world into perspective is a damn fool. Any education in today's world must incorporate some part of it outside the United States." Don Keough - Allen & Co. Former Chairman, to prospective Allen employees.

Maybe Charlie Rose will rebroadcast some of his interview with Keough.  I remember one hilarious segment.  Keough lived across the street from Buffett in the 1950s.  He said the neighborhood kids reported Buffett stays home all day, whereas Keough left home every morning for work.  They would occasionally chat at the end of their driveways while checking their mailboxes.  He humorously recounts Buffett saying he should give him some of his money to invest.  Keough:  "I turned him down."  Rose:  "Why did you turn him down?"  Keough:  "Why would I want to give money to someone who doesn't work?"

They tell that story complete with video from Mr. Keogh in the remembering episode hyperlinked above.  It was pretty funny!  Also had some funny stuff about New Coke.